I have a new roommate

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

I have a new roommate

Post by Tdarcos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:11 pm

On Friday, a new roommate moved in with me.

My lease nominally has a no pets clause, but on Thursday my landlord called me because he had a kitten he couldn't keep and didn't want to have it go to the pound (and be put down). So I said yes. I don't have a firm name for him yet because nothing quite fits, although I'm considering the name "Runner."

He didn't like me much at first but he thawed and I think he's bonding to me. The first night he did not want me to hold him or pet him and cried for me to let him go. Now he'll sit on my lap and purrs, and likes being petted.
"He blew his mind out in a car… He hadn't noticed that the light had changed."
- The Beatles, A Day in the Life

Billy Mays

Re: I have a new roommate

Post by Billy Mays » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Has it gotten used to your constantly chirping smoke detector yet?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:23 am

Billy Mays wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:32 pm
Apparently he doesn't even notice. After a while it gets to be background noise. Most of the time I don't even notice it.

Mostly he climbs around everything and investigates anything he can find or get his paws on. I may name him "Curious," because he has more interest in things than a 60 Minutes crew with an unlimited budget.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:34 pm

After the rousing success of the Jolt Country 2017 MVP Award (better luck next year, P-back!), shall we have a vote or some sort of contest to see who gets to name Paul's kitty cat?

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:23 am
Billy Mays wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:32 pm
Apparently he doesn't even notice. After a while it gets to be background noise. Most of the time I don't even notice it.

What's wrong with you that you can't say to your slumlord who called to break your lease terms "hey, why not bring over a 9 volt battery with the cat and put it in if you don't mind because I'm not getting near the ceiling until gravity reverses"? He's required by law to make sure each unit of a multi dwelling property has a working smoke detector, you know that. Apparently dying in a fire is better than a no kill shelter, betcha there's one of those nearby.

the $600 man wrote: My lease nominally has a no pets clause, but on Thursday my landlord called me because he had a kitten he couldn't keep and didn't want to have it go to the pound (and be put down). So I said yes. I don't have a firm name for him yet because nothing quite fits, although I'm considering the name "Runner."

He didn't like me much at first but he thawed and I think he's bonding to me. The first night he did not want me to hold him or pet him and cried for me to let him go. Now he'll sit on my lap and purrs, and likes being petted.
Also a good argument for spaying or neutering, nobody needs to let a cat like that contribute to more problem. The bum begging outside the Embarcadero Bart station makes more than $600 with his begging and social services and i dont like he has a beautiful german shepard which will have immense vet bills later. I don't think a person should commit to a pet or kid unless prepared to be financially and otherwise responsible so what happens in 10 years with this thing? Where does the thousands of dollars come from when it ages? What if it outlived you, do you name a JCer as godparent (hint, not ICJ)? What if you roll over it's tail (a real possibility, you watch). What are you doing for its litter? Have you bought clumping litter so your fat ass doesn't have to dump the whole thong?

Also, that picture looks like you're a hoarder. A filthy house will make your cat sicker than you because he lays in it then licks himself. Don't make us pick on you worse than we already, we ran Worm off to Caltrops and helped turn him into an alcoholic by picking on his room.

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm
What's wrong with you that you can't say to your slumlord who called to break your lease terms "hey, why not bring over a 9 volt battery with the cat and put it in if you don't mind because I'm not getting near the ceiling until gravity reverses"? He's required by law to make sure each unit of a multi dwelling property has a working smoke detector, you know that. Apparently dying in a fire is better than a no kill shelter, betcha there's one of those nearby.
Not to dog pile, but if you can't get your landlord to do it, your local fire department will also come change the batteries on your smoke detector for free. One of my best friends is a fire fighter and he does one at least every single shift. If that cat turns out to have supernatural powers (or chews through a cord and causes something to spark), that smoke detector might save both your and Purraldo's life.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Flack is right on this one, you should at the very least name your cat Purraldo.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Holy shit, it's even worse. As of this year Darcos can call 311 and get a free 10 year li-ion detector delivered.

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:55 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 pm
...a free 10 year li-ion detector
Ah, but can the free ones detect a 10 year old Lion-O?

"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:43 am

Casual Observer wrote:
"hey, why not bring over a 9 volt battery with the cat and put it in if you don't mind because I'm not getting near the ceiling until gravity reverses"?
It's not the battery; he replaced the battery but it still chirps.
Casual Observer wrote:
He's required by law to make sure each unit of a multi dwelling property has a working smoke detector, you know that.
The smoke detector works. I have a device - actually I have three of them - called a "Nifty Nabber" sold by Home Depot for $20. It's a solid aluminum rod, 3 feet long with a grip on one end and pincers on the other. It will lift upwards of five pounds. I use it all the time to pick up things out of reach as it effectively adds 3 feet to the distance I can reach. Which allows me to push the test button on the smoke detector. I do this at least every month.
Flack wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:12 pm
Not to dog pile, but if you can't get your landlord to do it, your local fire department will also come change the batteries on your smoke detector for free.
As I said, it's not the battery as he tried changing it. And in case you think it was some cheap carbon battery the landlord bought, it was an Amazon Alkaline battery, brand new out of the package that I bought.
Flack wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:12 pm
One of my best friends is a fire fighter and he does one at least every single shift. If that cat turns out to have supernatural powers (or chews through a cord and causes something to spark), that smoke detector might save both your and Purraldo's life.
There is another smoke detector in the living room. I have a problem with its extreme sensitivity. If I cook something like hamburgers on the kitchen stove, if I don't turn the wall fan on, the living room smoke detector will go off.

I have, in any case, along with the supplies I purchased for the cat, ordered a fire extinguisher, class A-B-C with mounting bracket. Guaranteed ten years. I've been wanting to get one for a couple of years but I was too cheap to pay the $25 or so.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:16 am

I think the only thing you can do now to prove all of the naysayers wrong is to put out cat care videos on your youtube channel.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:03 am

Casual Observer wrote:
Blah blah Bragh blah blah bah
Why is it that you call yourself "Casual Observer" when you can't seem to casually observe a god damned thing?

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Jizaboz wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:03 am
Casual Observer wrote:
Blah blah Bragh blah blah bah
Why is it that you call yourself "Casual Observer" when you can't seem to casually observe a god damned thing?
Great point, I probably need a new name now.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:52 pm

It will lift upwards of five pounds. I use it all the time to pick up things out of reach as it effectively adds 3 feet to the distance I can reach.
Remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

THE
SUPER FRIENDS
AARDVARK

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:22 pm

quote=Tdarcos post_id=94978 time=1515062605 user_id=829]
I have a device - actually I have three of them - called a "Nifty Nabber" sold by Home Depot for $20. It's a solid aluminum rod, 3 feet long with a grip on one end and pincers on the other. It will lift upwards of five pounds. I use it all the time to pick up things out of reach as it effectively adds 3 feet to the distance I can reach. Which allows me to push the test button on the smoke detector. I do this at least every month.
[/quote]
I'd pay money for you to record a video of you trying to change the detector battery with that thing.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:24 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:43 am
I have a device - actually I have three of them - called a "Nifty Nabber" sold by Home Depot for $20. It's a solid aluminum rod, 3 feet long with a grip on one end and pincers on the other. It will lift upwards of five pounds. I use it all the time to pick up things out of reach as it effectively adds 3 feet to the distance I can reach. Which allows me to push the test button on the smoke detector. I do this at least every month.
I'd pay money for you to record a video of you trying to change the detector battery with that thing.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:27 am

Casual Observer wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:22 pm
quote=Tdarcos post_id=94978 time=1515062605 user_id=829]
[/quote]
No, as I said, the landlord does that.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:33 am

Have you settled on a name yet?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Please name the cat Pork Patty!