Adultery is probably no longer a crime

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

Adultery is probably no longer a crime

Post by Tdarcos » Sat May 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Summary: Aardvark spoke about a toaster in a doodle being charged with adultery, and why I think that (the real thing) is no longer possible even if it's still illegal in some states, as I think anti-adultery laws are invalid.
------------------------------------------

From the crazy doodles page, where AArdvark had done a drawing with the caption "Toaster arrested for public indecency", we have this later comment:
AArdvark wrote:Sorry, that toaster should have been charged with adultery.
Actually that (for people) is still technically possible. Some states still have adultery on the books as a crime. However, in 2003 the US Supreme Court decided Lawrence v. Texas in which it changed its mind when it originally held that "sodomy" - which often includes oral sex as well as anal - could be made a crime, even when done by consenting adults in the privacy of their home, in the case of Bowers v. Hardwick.

The Lawrence court decided that non-commercial intimacy between consenting adults was one of the most important parts of what the right to privacy includes, overruled Bowers and found Texas' anti-sodomy law unconstitutional.

I think this also would hold if someone actually was charged with committing adultery in the few states it's still illegal, if it actually were to happen. Here's a close example to show why I think this is the case.

The Supreme Court of Virginia later decided the case of Martin v. Ziherl. Martin and Ziherl were girlfriend and boyfriend until Martin discovered Ziherl gave her herpes but had never warned her even though he knew he was infected. She sued him for the cost of medical treatment.

Ziherl's lawyer argued in the trial court that he wasn't liable for infecting her because under state law, having sex with someone you were not married to was the crime of "fornication" in Virginia, and based on the case of Zysk v. Zysk, "joint tortfeasors" (two people engaged in committing a crime) can't sue each other for injuries resulting during the commission of that crime.

Martin's lawyer responded that because the U.S. Supreme court had found anti-sodomy laws were unconstitutional because they violated the privacy rights of adults in the Lawrence case, the Virginia law that prohibited "ordinary" sex should clearly be unconstitutional as well, and thus she should be able to collect damages.

Ziherl's lawyer argued that Martin had no chance of being prosecuted for committing fornication as the Commonwealth hadn't prosecuted anyone under that law in over a century. Therefore she had no standing to challenge the constitutionality of the law.

The court agreed, also saying that the law was constitutional because of the state's interest in preventing disease and protecting marriage by prohibiting sex by unmarried couples, and dismissed the suit.

Martin appealed to the Virginia Supreme Court.

The court found that yes, Martin had no chance of being prosecuted under the anti-fornication law, she still had standing to challenge the law since it prevented her from suing her ex-boyfriend for damages since you can't sue someone for injuries if you get them because the two of you were committing a crime.

The court also agreed that the anti-fornication statute suffered from the same flaws as the anti-sodomy statute overturned in Lawrence. The privacy rights people have are not overcome by any supposed interest in the state in preventing non-marital sex or in the possible disease prevention.

The court struck down Virginia's anti-fornication law, and returned the case back to the trial court for an actual trial.

Based on these arguments and the ones in the original Lawrence case, I do not think an anti-adultery law would withstand a constitutionality challenge either.

Besides, the opposite conclusion would have been ridiculous. By the ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court, having anal sex with your girlfriend would be legal, but having vaginal intercourse could in theory still be prosecuted.
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun May 21, 2017 4:32 am

Dude, it was a toaster.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun May 21, 2017 5:26 am

AArdvark wrote:Dude, it was a toaster.
So do a doodle about a toaster on trial for murder in bread court, with different slices of bread in the jury box, the toaster's lawyer a standing piece of Italian, and the judge a breadstick.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun May 21, 2017 8:53 am

Only if you promise to write 2,000 words about it!
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun May 21, 2017 11:49 am

Bread court.

That sounds like a fast food place in a mall.

Wouldn't it be more kitchen countertop appliances? A jury of the toaster's peers?

THE
REALLY GETTING
WEIRD NOW
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon May 22, 2017 7:06 pm

AArdvark wrote:Bread court.

That sounds like a fast food place in a mall.

Wouldn't it be more kitchen countertop appliances? A jury of the toaster's peers?
No, you don't get it. The toaster cooked a piece of bread to death. Thus the bread community would try the toaster for murder of one of its members.

You couldn't expect other toasters - whose only purpose in life is to cook fellow pieces of bread to death as toast - to convict one of their brothers for doing what they all would do.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Wed May 24, 2017 2:50 pm

I got it! A toaster pool with a 'no swimming' sign!

THE
60HERTZ
AARDVARK