New computer

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

New computer

Post by Tdarcos » Mon May 01, 2017 10:08 pm

I own a six core Cybertron PC with very high-end specs including support for two monitors, has like a 3+ ghz processor, 16 gig of ram, I think, 1 TB hard drive, and two video cards with 2 gig each.

I financed it either last year or the year before, as it cost about $1,000. Came with Windows 8.1, and stupido me agreed to the upgrade to Windows 10.

For some reason the computer seizes up and freezes whenever I use it. At desktop, idle, or if just watching Youtube Videos it can run for several hours to a couple of days. If I'm running a game like Aperture Tag Paint Gun Initiative, a plug in for Portal 2, the machine can crash - with the audio holding a buzzing sound for as long as a minute until the machine shuts itself off - for as little as 12 minutes run time.

Tried many things and suspected either video or audio driver problems as some changes change the amount of time before crash to longer periods. Got hold of Cybertron support, they referred me to some downloadable programs to report CPU temperature. It does run very hot and maybe its an overheating problem.

Decided to buy another new computer of similar specs about six weeks ago, around March 25, the price dropped to about $300 plus $20 shipping. Seller apparently has problems; they cancelled my order and refunded my money on April 4. Didn't notice for two weeks as the order page said it was scheduled for delivery 4/17.

Searched around for other computers. Found a Lenovo Think Centre M series. Two USB front ports, looks like 6 in the back. Has headphone and microphone jacks on front and back, something I miss on the Cybertron. 3.2 ghz, but it's only a quadcore instead of six core, has a relatively small 250 GB hard drive; that's okay because I almost never use the local hard drive for storing files, I store them on my 3 TB Buffalo NAS that makes them accessible from any computer on my network AND my Amazon Fire TV device. I also didn't notice it only has 4 GB of memory but that was to be expected given the price.

NewEgg was selling it, as a refurbished model with Windows 10 Pro, including shipping, for $130. I bought it and it came last week. Uses VGA, which I have a cable for and this monitor supports. Remembered to immediately disable shut down and sleep from keyboard as the included /keyboard does have power, sleep and wake up buttons.

I've been using it for days, does everything, runs games, rock stable, just had a problem at one point due to low memory. So I decide to buy more. It can support 4 memory rods or 32 gb. Is only using one, so I decide to buy more. It's using DDR3L - 1600 memory, which is $29.85 for 4gb, or 2 x 4 gb in an 8 meg kit for $54.99. So I buy both, which will allow me to boost this machine to 16gb.

Opening the machine takes a lot of work, then I discover the memory slots are covered on the top two by a humongous fan and the bottom two by the DVD drive. I try to see if I can use one of these, I get the original stick out, try putting the new one in. Hook it up and fire it up.

Three options: Works; Doesn't Work; Gives off smoke.

I get a series of beeps indicating I screwed up. Fortunately it's #2. Shut it down, this time I get the screwdriver, unscrew the fan, move it out of the way, re-insert the old and new memory sticks, reattach the fan, reattach everything, fire it up.

Windows "star spin" appears and it starts up. I go to This PC and right click to properties. Installed memory:

8.00 GB Installed (7.80 GB usable).

So it works. 8 gig is enough for now. I'll put the other 8 gig in later.

Hopefully I put the fan back right, if it has a huge fan on the heat sink it probably needs it. |If it goes up in smoke later I'll know it wasn't the memory that did it.
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Tue May 02, 2017 2:55 am

Keep that Windows 10 away from it!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Tue May 02, 2017 4:00 am

AArdvark wrote:Keep that Windows 10 away from it!
'Vark, I can't keep it away from Windows 10 any more than you can keep away from ants. It was pre-installed.

It's just interesting that I get a machine that's about 80% the performance of a $1000 machine and costs $130 plus another $90 to boost the memory. So call it 25% of the cost.

I just didn't think refurbished machines could provide that kind of return on investment.

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue May 02, 2017 7:29 am

Have you tried dropping it down a flight of stairs?
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Tue May 02, 2017 2:54 pm

There's another thread around here that documents me installing Linux on my machines. Pre-installed means nothing except that there's a shit ton of trial software you have to remove.

THE
YOU ARE THE
PRODUCT
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Wed May 03, 2017 2:47 am

AArdvark wrote:There's another thread around here that documents me installing Linux on my machines. Pre-installed means nothing except that there's a shit ton of trial software you have to remove.
'Vark, it's a refurbished machine, they don't have to put any trial software on it, or if they did, I have not seen it.

The only "trial" software on it is the one I generally use once. Internet Explorer, I'll use it once to download Firefox and once it is installed I never have to use IE again.

Actually, that's wrong. Now, I download Firefox to my NAS, so whenever I need to install Firefox, Open Office, VLC, Audacity, Trimble Sketchup, Inkscape, and other freeware or open-source programs I use, I get them locally off the Buffalo NAS.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Wed May 03, 2017 2:49 am

pinback wrote:Have you tried dropping it down a flight of stairs?
Have you considered doing the same thing to the baby you just adopted?

(An alternative response since I don't know how to say "go fuck yourself" in Mandarin.)

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Wed May 03, 2017 4:08 am

It's not a baby.

I think.

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed May 03, 2017 10:56 am

We always hang in a Buffalo NAS
We do the dive every time we NAS
I'll give you love baby not ro-NAS
I'll make a move nothing left to NAS