Tdarcos shitpost

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:15 am

pinback wrote:This recipe, and the lofty pinto bean itself, is PINBACK-APPROVED.
That, alone, is enough to tell me to stay away from them! Besides, wasn't there a big problem with the Pinto exploding back in the 1970s?

On a more serious note, I mean, what kind of food is so badly sorted by the shipper that they can't even prevent rocks from showing up in cans? Now, maybe pinto beans are so heavy but isn't there a way to check for rocks before shipping?

Also, I had heard of this, but are pinto beans the only ones you have to soak for several hours before you can cook them? Are there others? And why is it necessary to pre-soak, like we're supposed to handle badly stained laundry?
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:23 am

Tdarcos wrote:Also, I had heard of this, but are pinto beans the only ones you have to soak for several hours before you can cook them?
All dried beans are like this. You can skip the soaking and just boil 'em, but you get better results from an overnight soak first.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:50 pm

pinback wrote:You can skip the soaking ... but you get better results from an overnight soak first.
People are always saying that to me about my body odor.

I'm being serious now because I never had anyone around who worked with dried beans to ask, but is it that the beans are very hard and soaking softens them, or is it that the beans are very "thirsty" and need to hydrate to really be usable in cooking? Or a combination of both?
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:13 pm

A quick google search indicates that the only known advantage of soaking beans is less farting. Which I'm not sure I believe in the first place, and even if I did, who cares?

I am now ANTI-SOAK.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Yes, as in my recipe it's best to soak them overnight. Besides the less gas thing.. I've tried just boiling them before in a hurry and they were awful. The "broth" doesn't turn out thick and the beans have the wrong texture.

As for ROCKS?!? WTF?!? https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimf ... s_in_them/

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:10 pm

I do not feel that this was worthy of thread-splitting. I feel Paul has been treated unfairly here.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:05 pm

He thinks dried beans come in cans, and does not understand that beans need to be hydrated to eat them, which is like asking why you can't just eat a scoop of dry rice.

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Yes, but it was within 8 lines, and at least partially kept to the topic ("beans").

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Sometimes I'm not in the mood and it's easier to do this than ask him to change an iota of his behavior.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!