Is presuming good faith reasonable or hogwash?

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Is presumption of claimed good faith reasonable?

You may select 1 option

View results

Tdarcos

Is presuming good faith reasonable or hogwash?

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:15 pm

In one of the other boards there's a thread about changing oil in low-usage machines.

So I got arguing to point out what oil is for, and as it is used it gets contaminated.

So, Pinback and (possibly) Aardvark were trolling by pretending to not know what oil is used for.

Pinback proceeded to say he wanted a reference for what I was saying and that he seriously was asking the question.

Now, I could have blown him off, but instead, I decided to point out that he was being pedantic, and at the same time, treating his question as if he was serious in asking the question, i.e. accepting his claim on its face as legitimatley asked in good faith.

Jonsey apparently felt my treating his question as being in good faith while admitting he was being pedantic was inappropriate or something.

So, let me ask everyone here: is it reasonable if someone claims a question is in good faith to presume it is and respond as such even if I might think it is not?
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

pinback

Post by pinback » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Well, I didn't read all that, so I'll just pick a random answer.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:03 am

I did not see this before or I would have said something. When I was first driving back in the '70s and '80s I changed my oil myself, crawling under the car every three months and when funds were tight I might stretch it a little to six. This was when oil was like 60c a can, not $6 a bottle now, and you couldn't get oil changes done for less than the oil and the filter at retail. I got over 120,000 miles on a cheap car simply by changing the oil before it caused too much engine damage.

If you're only driving 200 miles a year then probably once a year or so is fine but it should be changed once it is ineffective. When you're putting fresh motor oil in the color of honey and it's become the color of asphalt something is going on. You're basically reducing the potential lifespan of the vehicle for a "savings" of a few pennies a month.

---------------------------------------

Motor oil is a lubricant that allows metal parts to move against each other with less friction and less likelihood of seizing. Used motor oil has water, microscopic to small pieces of metal, burned motor oil, and carbon. The motor oil gets contaminated and damaged so the engine doesn't have to. And the oil filter helps to catch some of this but it wears out or fills up eventually.

What is reasonable is to check it by drawing some off when checking oil levels and when it gets really dirty, then spend the twenty bucks, ya cheapskate
Pardon me posting from a damn tablet.
Everything below the dotted line should have been omitted in the second draft. Everything above that was fine.

THE
STRUNK AND WHITE
AARDVARK

Note: edited on a real keyboard

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:34 pm

pinback wrote:Well, I didn't read all that, so I'll just pick a random answer.
"This is why we can't have nice things."

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:13 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
pinback wrote:Well, I didn't read all that, so I'll just pick a random answer.
"This is why we can't have nice things."
This is why we can't have nice things.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Tdarcos, are you saying that I said that *I* was being pedantic?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Tdarcos, are you saying that I said that *I* was being pedantic?
No, I never said I was being pedantic, I said Pinback was!

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:47 pm

"So you're sayin'... Whaddya sayin'?" - Fargo

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:03 pm

pinback wrote:"So you're sayin'... Whaddya sayin'?" - Fargo
I'm saying you're a hypocrite who has about as much ability to learn from his mistakes as a brick wall.

You don't get to receive forgiveness just because you ask for it, because if you don't read what you are told and don't change your miserable behavior you cannot expect to get better responses from others. Or let me rephrase that. You can expect to get better responses but don't hold your breath waiting for them, because Hell will freeze over, the sun will grow cold, and I will become a literate, clear and concise writer and speaker before that happens.

pinback

Post by pinback » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 am

I like when he can't keep track of who he's talking to or what they were talking about or what the hell is going on.

I like that part.

Pink Floyd

Post by Pink Floyd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:45 am

Tdarcos wrote:I'm saying you're a hypocrite who has about as much ability to learn from his mistakes as a brick wall.
You ain't know anything about brick walls.