Identity and Existence (was No Self)

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

Identity and Existence (was No Self)

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:27 am

(Continued from: http://www.joltcountry.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10181 (Don Rogers Show)
pinback wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:As to the reality of the subject, I am here, I am someone. My rough location is above my eyes and behind my ears but I'd have trouble pinning it down much closer.
But seriously, you can't be this dumb. You've spent most of the last 30 years writing thousand-page books about how ridiculous it is that people believe in a "God" somewhere in the "heavens", and when all the proof they can offer is "I just know it" you scoff and demand evidence.
Well since you are also an atheist presumably you agree with my sentiments and the above. There is no presented evidence at all to prove the existence of God. Do you agree or disagree with the previous sentence?
And yet, having no evidence at all, you proclaim there's a "you" that's "somewhere in there", that nobody, neither scientist nor sage, has ever or will ever find, and you make your stand on the basis of... you just know it.
You can prove things which do exist but which we lack the ability to prove them empirically through tools and methods which provide inferences relating to the hypothetical questions being answered. Someone can ask me questions and i can reply. I can touch or move things. I can create things. All of these are actions beyond the capacity of mere instinct and require consciousness to cause them to happen.

This is identity, which you seem to think does not exist.

Approximately 20 years ago you agreed to sell me your 386 PC on time payments. You brought your computer over to my place. I took that computer from you, took it upstairs and tripped, falling on it. If there is no evidence of me, then where did your computer go? Where did the money orders I sent you come from?

If my body did these things they are too complicated to be based on instinct alone. The results of these actions is evidence of my existence.

There are videos on YouTube which purport to show me cooking things or other things. Either I did that or someone else created it to fake me being there. This represents either evidence of my existence or of the existence of the person uploading the simulated video of me to YouTube.

This message had to come from somewhere, presumably a human being. This either provides evidence that I exist in order to write it, or someone else pretending to be me that did so.
Keep hunting! Above the eyes, behind your ears! Gotta be in there somewhere, right?! You just know it!
Yeah, I am here whether you agree with it or not. I act and respond in ways providing responses which are the tangible evidence proving my existence.
This could have been a nice thread, but if this is the last one you ruin on your way outta here, I hope you enjoyed it.
I had the general impression you were interested in the discussion since you seemed to be challenged by the responses to the argument you were making "no self," that people and things lack identity.
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

pinback

Re: Identity and Existence (was No Self)

Post by pinback » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:30 am

Tdarcos wrote:I took that computer from you, took it upstairs and tripped, falling on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebanS7YL6V4
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:32 am

The thing I have always wondered is, what specifically broke in the 386?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!