Why do you dislike Billy Mays?

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Billy Mays

Why do you dislike Billy Mays?

Post by Billy Mays » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:55 am

The topic of this thread is fairly simple:

You provide a quote from the board, along with a citation so that I can review the original topic, of some reason you dislike me. I will then review what I had posted within the context of that conversation, and then I will point out where your reasoning is completely wrong, or I will acknowledge what I said was wrong and give you an apology and let you know what I will do to improve my contributions to the board in light of your example.

Furthermore, if there was anything of mine you did enjoy reading, feel free to post that as an example along with what exactly you enjoyed about it so that I can work to get my posts closer to that example in the future.

While I am anticipating this to either be a completely dead thread or to go from "zero to maximum shitposty" out of the gate based on how everyone here loves hammering even the fucking admin on serious topics, I am at least trying my best to begin the healing process moving forward.

Thank you.

Tdarcos

Re: Why do you dislike Billy Mays?

Post by Tdarcos » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Billy Mays wrote:You provide a quote from the board, along with a citation so that I can review the original topic, of some reason you dislike me. .
I don't dislike you. The only time there was an issue which you're aware of was when you were "roasting" me and at one point I felt it had gotten too personal and asked you to dial it back a little.

The thing was, while what you said bothered me a little, what bothered me worse was that if someone had asked me I really don't think I could put down an articulatable reason why it bothered me.

Nor do your politics bother me; as I posted here a full month before the election that my brother had predicted Trump would win. I also noted that personally I didn't care for either of the two major candidates. As has been said, reasonable people can have disagreements over certain subjects where some people might even practically consider the issue almost proven: the Soviet Union hanging on to communism for over seventy years despite it causing the economic collapse of every country that practiced it shows that sometimes people cannot give up a failed religion long after it has shown utterly to have failed.

So, I have said that I don't dislike you, don't hate you, don't care that you have ideas that I disagree with, and, like everyone else here, consider you a friend, and I do like you too.

However, don't take that too seriously; unlike Pinback, I have no interest in gay sex.
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

pinback

Post by pinback » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:51 pm

what
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:50 pm

I'm just tired of spending energy either avoiding your derailing of threads, talking about yourself, or egging us on with topics such as this.

Seriously, its become the Year of Billy Mays on Jolt Country and I'm just completely bored of it.
This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Flack

Re: Why do you dislike Billy Mays?

Post by Flack » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:05 am

"Why I dislike Billy Mays," by Jack Flack.
Billy Mays wrote:The topic of this thread is fairly simple:

You provide a quote from the board, along with a citation so that I can review the original topic, of some reason you dislike me. I will then review what I had posted within the context of that conversation, and then I will point out where your reasoning is completely wrong, or I will acknowledge what I said was wrong and give you an apology and let you know what I will do to improve my contributions to the board in light of your example.

Furthermore, if there was anything of mine you did enjoy reading, feel free to post that as an example along with what exactly you enjoyed about it so that I can work to get my posts closer to that example in the future.

While I am anticipating this to either be a completely dead thread or to go from "zero to maximum shitposty" out of the gate based on how everyone here loves hammering even the fucking admin on serious topics, I am at least trying my best to begin the healing process moving forward.

Thank you.
This has been "Why I dislike Billy Mays," by Jack Flack.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:57 pm

hahaha Flack

Yeah, I can't be bothered to answer either.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:57 pm

I disliked the real Billy Mays because he was always shouting and trying to sell stuff. Someone naming a handle after him can't be all sweetness and toadstools.

Why did you name yourself after Billy? Why not stick to Bob Ross? He was alright.

THE
HAPPY LITTLE
AARDVARK

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:35 pm

He's alright in my book.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Honestly, I have no idea why people lose their shit at you. I'll chalk it up to "not caring a crap about the 15 minutes a day I spend here." but the real answer is "non-threaded forums have destroyed online conversation."

The parts where you endlessly whine about people losing their shit at you? NOT a big fan of that, let me tell you what.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:33 pm

It can be 16 minutes, friend.

Squad goals?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:44 am

At terminal velocity, 15 minutes might seem like a really long time.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:20 pm

AArdvark wrote:I disliked the real Billy Mays because he was always shouting and trying to sell stuff. Someone naming a handle after him can't be all sweetness and toadstools.
'Vark, that's the wrong metaphor. Toadstools refer to deadly and poisonous mushrooms. Try "sweetness and light" or "kittens and rainbows," or something. Your statement is more like "can't be all Mr. Rogers and Charles Manson."
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Thought you were banned....

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:It can be 16 minutes, friend.
I mean, I GUESS I could try to read slower? You guys could try to post more, but that only happens when everyone is melting down from the heat of their WHITE-HOT anger, so I don't want to be the cause of that.
Flack wrote:At terminal velocity, 15 minutes might seem like a really long time.

I sincerely Laughed Out Loud, thanks.

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:31 am

For the record, I don't dislike Billy. When he posts something weird, I do the same thing I do when anyone here posts something weird.

I don't read it.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:47 am

I don't dislike him. I like him a great deal, actually. He and Paul overwhelmed the forum by posting so often. I wish there were a burndown timer or something.

He didn't fail us. I failed Billy Mays. I need to carve out some time to figure out some stuff.

FWIW, on Flack's forum, which I think is phpBB3, I tried out the "ignore a poster" feature to see what it did, in case we wanted to try it here. This is NOT a criticism of Flack, but I want to describe how it worked:

- Everytime a block person posts, the forum software replaces the post with "Blocked dude replied. Display post anyway?". (Not the exact text.)

- The blocked posts will trigger the "List new posts" feature.

And then obviously if people quote the blocked person then those posts appear.

So it's not great if you really want an existence free of a certain person. And honestly, blocking people isn't the way to go. I bet there's been ... 500? 1000? people that have registered and written a post on the various incarnations of this forum (OK, dial-up and phpBB2) and people leave anyway.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:54 pm

phpbb3 has a yuge modding community. I didn't know anything about installing mods and was able to get that RSS feed importer up and running in an hour or so (I could do another one in 5-10 minutes, I'm sure).

I found one for phpbb3 that allows you to limit how many posts a user can make in a single day:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... p=11711685

There's also an advanced block user mod that offers a lot of features the default one is missing:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... block_mod/

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:26 pm

I have a knack for insane ideas so:

Why not tinker around with building a brand-new perfect for you BBS and if you get it how you want just turn off new posts here, and send some links to over there? It's a jarring cut and in the immediate changeover there'd be url tags non-stop, but it's easier than 'the shitty fucking database can't be massaged over without an actual fucking apocalypse.'