Erroneous ACK Posts

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

Erroneous ACK Posts

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:36 pm

(This has been moved from this thread http://www.joltcountry.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10145 on the ACK forum as apparently I was incorrect.)
-----------------------------------------------------------
That is a good point, as I don't think any of the systems in the Interactive Fiction tool kit class of application - Hugo, TADS, AGT, ACT, Inform, etc - support anything but single-player capacity.

Now, if the 'party management' refers not to extra players but to NPCs I would expect it is possible, as both Hugo and TADS support NPCs, any other IF system should as well.

I should ask if 'party management' means the collecting of other NPCs to accompany the player like the requirement for Gordon to get civilians across the parking lot and into the train station near the end of Half Life Two Episode 1 or collecting other fighters to help shoot other enemies; or is it a means to play co-op or Deathmatch with other human (or machine) players?
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:41 pm

This is the second erroneous post that was moved from this thread http://www.joltcountry.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10145 on the ACK forum as apparently I was incorrect.)
-----------------------------------------------------------
kaelenX wrote:Thank you Tdarcos. But I'm asking about ACK, actually, not interactive fiction. Do you program in ACK?
No. I've used Hugo for the three games I wrote and tried TADS to port one of them but found it too difficult to use.

But doesn't ACK stand for 'Adventure Creation Kit'? Well, the term 'adventure game' has morphed these days into 'interactive fiction' as these tools can be used for more than just creating adventure games.

My point in asking was to try to help you clarify your thoughts as 'party management' is not a well defined term. It could mean managing non-player characters (NPCs) in handling a partitioned task, managing members of a military squad, or managing connecting and disconnecting multiple players in a game, and of that, managing co-op or competitive play.

Once you exactly define what you are looking for, someone with more experience with ACK might be able to precisely answer it.
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:49 am

And if anyone here needs further evidence why editing posts is disallowed, here you go. I didn't realize it was on for the ACK base. But here we are.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:And if anyone here needs further evidence why editing posts is disallowed, here you go. I didn't realize it was on for the ACK base. But here we are.
We know that. What we don't know is where's no grace time for editing. phpbb thing?

Then upgrade. Do it. JUST, DO IT.

pinback

Post by pinback » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:02 pm

He won't do it because not being able to do anything you should be able to do gives the place "character".
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:08 pm

As always, let me chime in with the IMPOSSIBLE suggestion that maybe you take 20 fucking seconds to proofread and consider your contribution before rushing to mAEK POAST.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:53 pm

And let me again say thank you, you're the only person who "gets" this BBS, except for, also, FlyingCarp.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:19 am

Proofreading is for illitarates.