Some of the procedures for adopting foreign babies

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

Some of the procedures for adopting foreign babies

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:33 pm

This is in response to: http://www.joltcountry.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10162 (Orc's Head Tavern, Adopting Chinese Babies)

I've actually been involved in the requirements to adopt a Chinese baby and it's a lot of work for the applicant. There is lots of paperwork involved, and, since the Chinese have an Embassy in DC, people use notaries in the region.

First the person(s) adopting have to sign a form swearing to certain facts. Then they bring it to a notary public like myself, who has the person take an oath. Thus I am certifying the signature of the applicant(s).

That document is then mailed to the county clerk who checks my signature to ensure it is valid and my commission is in force. Thus the County Clerk is certifying my signature.

That document is then mailed to the Secretary of State in Richmond (for Virginia) or Annapolis (for Maryland) to certify that is the valid signature of the County Clerk.

That document is then mailed to the U.S. Secretary of State who certifies that is the signature of the Secretary of State of that state.

Then that document is brought or mailed to the Chinese Embassy.

All of these cross-signatures are called an apostille.
"He blew his mind out in a car… He hadn't noticed that the light had changed."
- The Beatles, A Day in the Life

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:42 pm

All of this is wrong.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Flack

Post by Flack » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:22 pm

It's like the Upside-Down world, where there's a copy of everything, but it's been changed. It's full of people talking who don't talk anywhere else, answers to questions that have been asked elsewhere, and prosecutors who think they're defense attorneys.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:10 pm

pinback wrote:All of this is wrong.
Do you mean that it is ridiculous,
or are you saying that I, who has had a notary commission for over ten years and am commissioned in two states and have done this sort of thing are incorrect on what I know?

You really need to check with Real NC to improve your posting skills, and "figure out a way to do it without looking like a giant, pulsating, oozing douche."

pinback

Post by pinback » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:03 am

Tdarcos wrote:or are you saying that I, who has had a notary commission for over ten years and am commissioned in two states and have done this sort of thing are incorrect on what I know?
Yes. Are you saying that I, who has actually gone through the entire process from start to finish over the last six months am incorrect on what actually happens?

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:52 pm

I don't want to spoil the suspense, but he probably is.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:04 pm

pinback wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:or are you saying that I, who has had a notary commission for over ten years and am commissioned in two states and have done this sort of thing are incorrect on what I know?
Yes. Are you saying that I, who has actually gone through the entire process from start to finish over the last six months am incorrect on what actually happens?
First, had you said "this is incorrect" instead of "this is wrong," I would have known what you meant.

Second, this was the way they did this ten years ago. I was under the impression the Chinese were not much on changing things, and I did not know they had changed their practices.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:47 pm

I could take the ham fisted "help" that you offered, but then we have the unmentioned racism thrown into the mix!

You are the guy who brings ambrosia made with ham and topped with whip cream to the potluck and doesn't understand why no one spooned the sloppy mess onto their plate! Answer: because it's terrible then you made it even worse.
This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Tdarcos wrote:First, had you said "this is incorrect" instead of "this is wrong," I would have known what you meant.
That is wrong.
Second, this was the way they did this ten years ago. I was under the impression the Chinese were not much on changing things, and I did not know they had changed their practices.
To start (and to end, because I'm not going to go through the whole thing for you) there is not "a document that needs to be notarized". There are about a dozen of them, and no "oath" ever takes place. However, this paints the most hilarious picture of the day, of you notarizing the documents of some poor hapless adoption applicant, who's just trying to move the process forward as quickly as possible, and forcing them at fatpoint to take some ridiculous "oath" that you swore you read needed to be taken.

Are you still in contact with any of these people? Robb, get them on the show immediately.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:50 pm

Righty-ho.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:04 am

pinback wrote:To start (and to end, because I'm not going to go through the whole thing for you) there is not "a document that needs to be notarized". There are about a dozen of them, and no "oath" ever takes place.
I go by what the document says, asshole. I happen to know what the laws are. Which I'm supposed to, anyway.
pinback wrote:However, this paints the most hilarious picture of the day, of you notarizing the documents of some poor hapless adoption applicant,
Look, you stupid fool, any document which is processed by a notary is "notarized," whether the document is sworn/affirmed or not.

You have no idea what you are talking about. It is what the document says that determines how the document is handled.

If it either says it is an "affidavit" or in the jurat at the bottom it has the words "sworn" or "affirmed" in it, as in "Subscribed and sworn to before me" then I have the person take an oath as the document is an affidavit, otherwise not, because the document is an acknowledgement.

Whether or not the document is an acknowledgement (which is not sworn or affirmed) or an affidavit (which is) any document which is counter-signed by me and has my seal affixed is still a "notarized document."

I go by the rules but I've seen other notaries process documents which would be affidavits without swearing people or failing to have the customer sign their fair register.

As I said, this was what it was when I had handled them 10 years ago, at which point you should have dropped the matter for one very good reason: since what they are doing now, from your own experience, is different, you should have known the practice has changed.

Look whose calling me having mental conditions: A guy too stupid to realize that if I'm describing a condition different from what you experienced, and after I said the requirements must have changed, who doesn't even realize the requirements have changed.
Are you still in contact with any of these people? Robb, get them on the show immediately.
What show? You've said you're not doing your show.

In any case, as I said this was over ten years ago. At that time I was doing notarizations in Virginia. Virginia does not require a notary to maintain a log so I did not. Maryland does require keeping a Fair Register, so I have done so ever since I was commissioned here eight years ago.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:30 am

pinback wrote:Are you still in contact with any of these people? Robb, get them on the show immediately.
Tdarcos wrote:What show? You've said you're not doing your show.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imPEBh4pEOQ[/youtube]
This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:59 am

Tdarcos wrote:Look whose calling me having mental conditions
Everyone?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:08 am

I think we should give Paul the benefit of the doubt here.

Paul, do you remember what exactly the applicants had to say in their oath, also, were any of them shocked when they saw you for the first time?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:13 am

pinback wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:Look whose calling me having mental conditions
Everyone?
Just the people who would rather deflect on other people than admit they too, were wrong. At least I'm willing to admit that I was referring to the (different) practice from when I saw it as opposed to how it has been changed.

Furthermore, if you were truly interested in responding to the issue, when it first came up, you could have said, "That's not how it happened when I did it." No, you just have to make flat, bald statements containing zero information. Saying "that's wrong," has absolutely zero content.

Additionally, according to the U.S. State Department's website, "The Hague Convention on the Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption" came into effect in 2008, several years after I had handled paperwork of this matter for the few times I did.

So the whole thing is different now and let's just leave it there.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 am

Billy Mays wrote:I think we should give Paul the benefit of the doubt here.

Paul, do you remember what exactly the applicants had to say in their oath, also, were any of them shocked when they saw you for the first time?
Why would they be shocked? When I could walk I was a 6' 2" heavy-set man with a beard. I dare say my appearance was no more shocking than Phil Karn, who played Tim Allen's sidekick on Home Improvement and later, hosted Family Feud, or a certain somewhat heavy-set man who pitched a lot of unusual commercial products, mostly at the top of his voice, until he succumbed to Critical Existence Failure a few years ago.

Gee, I can almost remember his name, it's like it's almost on the tip of my tongue. It wasn't Vince Offer, he replaced the guy. Gee, it's like I've seen his name very recently...

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:44 am

Tdarcos wrote:Why would they be shocked?

Because you sir are a rock star!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSZAyyVmA3Y[/youtube]

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:Why would they be shocked?
Because you sir are a rock star!
While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I did not own any video cameras and did not start uploading videos to YouTube until after I became unable to walk.

And my total number of views of all of my videos is about 50,000 with my most popular video of about 2,000 views - which I have no idea why - is me cleaning my grill for the first time. And my second-most popular video (about 1,620 views) isn't even mine. It was a video included in the U.S. Supreme Court case of Kelly v. California in which video of the woman that Kelly allegedly murdered was, according to at least one of the justices, potentially so inflammatory it might have unduly prejudiced the jury in voting to give him the death penalty.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Tdarcos wrote:While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I did not own any video cameras and did not start uploading videos to YouTube until after I became unable to walk.

You really have no idea do you?

Tdarcos wrote:my most popular video of about 2,000 views - which I have no idea why - is me cleaning my grill for the first time.

Out of the hundreds of millions of people who own a grill and did a youtube search to find out how to take care of it, 2000 people decided you would be the best one to explain it to them.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I did not own any video cameras and did not start uploading videos to YouTube until after I became unable to walk.

You really have no idea do you?

Ok, I'm fairly certain this question will be met with a huge amount of hilarious text that will in no way even be remotely related to the original question, to be more specific:

This isn't some sort of act that you've been holding on to for decades, these videos and what you write is just a reflection of who you really are? You are a comedic genius, and you don't have even the slightest amount of awareness of that fact? Your completely abysmal jokes are not an ironic tip of the hat to everything about you that is fall out of your chair (pun intended) hysterical?

So basically, you are the comedic equivalent of Rain Man, blessed with some amazing abilities that you have no idea on how to harness due to crippling disabilities, and then there is pinback who is an immensely fatter and slightly less gay Tom Cruise who is trying to pull that gift out of you by pushing you to your limit?