Response to 'Abstraction'

Animated GIFs & Nonsense

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Tdarcos

Response to 'Abstraction'

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:04 pm

This is a response to this message: http://www.joltcountry.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10168 (in Don Rogers forum).

Abstractions are some of the most powerful things we can use to represent ideas. Originally 'money' was actual physical gold and silver. Then the abstraction of paper money making it easier to carry instead of real money. Now we've gone meta where we carry credit and debit cards as an abstraction of an abstraction. The credit card or debit card is not money, it's an abstraction of paper money, which itself was an abstraction of real money, gold and silver.

You work for a place and instead of your employer giving you real or paper money or a check, they send a notice to your bank ("Direct Deposit") telling them to add money to your account and take it from theirs. The Federal Reserve does the interbank transfer (bank to bank) and your bank puts the money in your account. But how much actual money was moved? None, it's all numbers in the computers at the Federal Reserve Bank and the commercial banks.

Now, after you got "paid" via direct deposit, you use your debit card to buy groceries instead of writing a check. When you swipe or insert your card, your bank is told to transfer money from your account to the supermarket's. But not so much as one dollar changes hands, the abstraction - the numbers in the bank's computer - is all that changes.
"Come my restoration… Wash my body clean."
⁠— Martin Page, In the House of Stone and Light

Tony Parsons

Post by Tony Parsons » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:13 pm

What in the unholy fuck are you talking about? That has nothing to do with anything I wrote. Are you autistic or something?

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:09 pm

In Paul's defense, you have been writing a lot of faggoty nonsense.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Tony Parsons wrote:What in the unholy fuck are you talking about? That has nothing to do with anything I wrote. Are you autistic or something?
You wrote:
Tony Parsons wrote:I have been fascinated and waylaid by abstraction, painting the picture I would rather have in preference to living the experience I would rather not have.
The use of currency instead of real money is an abstraction where we paint the picture by carrying pieces of paper that have no intrinsic value but are simply repre4sentations of something that does have value, gold and silver.
Tony Parsons wrote:What I abstract never comes to be, or only sometimes flickers into life like a watered-down approximation.

My abstraction is a smoke-screen
Fiat currency is an abstraction of real money, and it's a smoke screen governments use, because they can print unlimited amounts of money. It's only valid as money as long as other people believe it is.

I could bore people on but what I said in response was similar to your comments.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:43 pm

At least you called it correctly with the autism.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:07 pm

I read 'Economics In One Lesson' a while ago and that part is correct. Now, what this has to do with anything else, as I have NOT read the thread The Commander refers to, is beyond my ken.

THE
VALID POINTS
IN A VACUUM
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:51 am

Wait a second.

Is Paul starting NEW threads to stuff when he wants to go off-topic? In the right base? This is amazing. This is exactly what I've been hoping for, for 7 years.

I'm astounded. This is a huge breakthrough.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Wait a second.

Is Paul starting NEW threads to stuff when he wants to go off-topic? In the right base? This is amazing. This is exactly what I've been hoping for, for 7 years.

I'm astounded. This is a huge breakthrough.
I'm glad you got it.

It came to me a few days ago, think about what I want to say, if I can say it in a short paragraph I will, otherwise I'll finish it, do a quick summary, open a new tread here, get the original link and mark it into the new thread, save it, then capture the new thread ID, paste it at the bottom of the summary, and both posts are now cross linked.

I can now make a point but explain why in more detail if anyone cares. I'm sure they don't, but sometimes I'll say something where I know the short version would be misunderstood and I know if I don't clarify it I'll get misunderstandings.

This is especially prevalent with pinback, who has not yet "figured out a way to do it without looking like a giant, pulsating, oozing douche."

---------------------------
"Oh there must be some misunderstanding. Oh there must be some kind of mistake...,"
- Phl Collins.