Linux problems

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Frommomsbasement

Linux problems

Post by Frommomsbasement »

I know Hugor was created because of some of the problems the Hogo Engine has on non-windows system, but I have no idea what those problems are. Can someone inform me?

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I just think some of the dependencies for the Hugo Engine were getting kind of old, so more and more people have been having troubles getting it going. If you can get it working, that's great. Hugor is just a little easier to set-up at this point, is all.

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

I can verify that the compiler works on Linux. I haven't used the Linux version of the Engine, because everything the Engine does, Hugor does better (except for video, I think).

I think we should produce some documentation or at least discussion about the Hugo implementation workflow in different OS environments. I'll report back if I can get the Debugger working on Linux. I do like to use the Debugger on Windows, so I think it's worth investigating for Linux.

Too bad there doesn't seem to be any Mac users in the Hugo tent right now. I think documentation or documented discussion showing specifically how to develop games for Hugo could potentially go a long way in increasing the system's accessibility, and I think there are a lot of Mac users on Intfiction.

Frommomsbasement

Post by Frommomsbasement »

Thank you for the replies.

RealNC

Re: Linux problems

Post by RealNC »

Frommomsbasement wrote:I know Hugor was created because of some of the problems the Hogo Engine has on non-windows system, but I have no idea what those problems are. Can someone inform me?
There's no sound and the interpreter doesn't build at all on modern Linux distros.

Note that the engine is the same in both Hugor as well as the official Linux port; it does not provide a re-implementation of the Hugo engine. The difference is the other 50% of the interpreter. The part that's responsible for executing the engine's commands (like displaying text, loading and displaying images, playing sound, reading data from files, etc.) That's the part Hugor is replacing.

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

I can't get the Debugger to work on Linux. When I compile with the -d switch and try the command-line debugger with the resulting HDX file, the console says "Fatal error: cannot open file."

Interestingly, the version of the Engine zipped with the Linux compiler runs in the console (and looks rather cool), but the status line doesn't work:

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

The statusline is probably because of a thing I only recently noticed where the non-Windows, non-Hugor interpreters handle the end of the line differently. It is currently fixed at the bitbucket repository:
https://bitbucket.org/roody_yogurt/hugo ... ?at=master

I'll upload a new version to HbE next. Should be version 3.3 when it gets there.

EDIT: Ok, it's up: http://hugo.gerynarsabode.org/index.php?title=Roodylib

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

I upgraded to version 3.3 and recompiled, but the status line is still blank with the console Engine in my game (waiting.hug), which uses Roodylib's StatusType4 for a nonstandard statusline. However, I then compiled the example source game "anne.hug," and the standard-looking statusline displayed correctly in the console Engine.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Hmm, yeah, I can't replicate the problem with Version 2 of waiting.hug in the DOS interpreters. It could be just some oddity from the Linux port. Otherwise, did you tweak the STATUSTYPE4 routine and accidentally print something with a new line where you shouldn't have?

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Otherwise, did you tweak the STATUSTYPE4 routine and accidentally print something with a new line where you shouldn't have?
I doubt it. I've got semicolons after the three print directives, and the condition that selects between them doesn't contain any routines that could accidently be called.

So, I'll be sure not to use the old Linux command-line Engine when I play Cryptozookeeper.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Now, this doesn't mean that there isn't something particular to your Linux installation, but I just tried the ncurses Linux interpreter on Puppy Linux and my compiled-with-the-new-Roodylib Waiting did the statusline just fine. Are you sure you don't have a copy of the old roodylib lying around, confusing the compiler?

The debugger just seems to do a textdump of information which I think is not the intended effect, but since some of the info is readable, maybe it is...

Relatedly, did you put the -d switch in waiting.hug when you were checking out the debugger? Did you possibly forget to take it out again before compiling it again?

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Are you sure you don't have a copy of the old roodylib lying around, confusing the compiler?
I just double-checked by deleting everything in my library directory, re-downloading the version of roodylib currently hosted at gerynarsabode.org, and unpacking all the library files again. The result is the same, and it isn't the -d switch either; I used the command line for that.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Ah, well, those are the only suggestions I have. Well, then, good thing we have Hugor!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Now, this doesn't mean that there isn't something particular to your Linux installation, but I just tried the ncurses Linux interpreter on Puppy Linux and my compiled-with-the-new-Roodylib Waiting did the statusline just fine. Are you sure you don't have a copy of the old roodylib lying around, confusing the compiler?
Reminder to self, to figure this out for tomorrow - tried to get the Linux compiler going on my system at home. Make says it can't find ncurses.h. I did an apt-get to install it. Make still says that. Will investigate in the morning.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Juhana

Post by Juhana »

Possibly unrelated, but there are some bugs related to copying strings in the Hugo source code which breaks the compiler in the latest OS X (see http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtop ... =16&t=9757).

Not sure if that affects the Linux version (seems to be related to how Mac does some optimizations), but it does make it kinda hard to market the system to Mac users at the moment.