Tripkey has been released

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Tdarcos

Tripkey has been released

Post by Tdarcos »

The game Tripkey has been released, and can be downloaded from http://in-the-matter-of.com/tripkey.zip, it's about 1 1/2 meg mostly from a video file that's included in the game

This is intended as a beta release to check for errors before release to the "general public."

Any suggestions on places to advertise it for downloading are recommended.

Update 1/20/2013: IFID B3489732-AA18-4B1B-8516-217BAFF81DDB
Last edited by Tdarcos on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I forgot to say what it's about. Tripkey is a game where you're trying to get to the exit. But you have to do a few things to get there. First, you have to get out of the control center, and you do that by getting the eponymous Tripkey, the key to taking trips.

Once you have that, you can teleport to several places and find, buy or steal what you need to escape.

This game implements a portable transporter, and that's the name of the object that does this, the Tripkey.

Questions and suggestions are welcomed.

This is a much more finished product - or at least I hope so - than Teleporter Test was. I spent a whole month on this, and learned a lot as I went along.

I hope you enjoy it.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Bainespal

Post by Bainespal »

It will be interesting to see what you did with video. That's one of Hugo's strongest but least used features, I think.

Thanks.

loafingcoyote

Re: Tripkey has been released

Post by loafingcoyote »

Tdarcos wrote:The game Tripkey has been released, and can be downloaded from http://in-the-matter-of.com/tripkey.zip, it's about 1 1/2 meg mostly from a video file that's included in the game.

The above link doesn't work for me because of the comma. Here's one that does work:

http://in-the-matter-of.com/tripkey.zip

I don't have time tonight, but I'll try to play this tomorrow and send you a transcript. It looks like fun!

-lc

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Bainespal wrote:It will be interesting to see what you did with video. That's one of Hugo's strongest but least used features, I think.

Thanks.
It was just because it was possible. <s>Google</s> Trimble Sketchup allows the creation of 3-D models, and you can create a set of scenes going around the model, then tell the program to make a video of it. Since the program could create a video and Hugo supports video playback, I thought it was a great idea to use it.

Tdarcos

Re: Tripkey has been released

Post by Tdarcos »

loafingcoyote wrote:The above link doesn't work for me because of the comma. Here's one that does work:

http://in-the-matter-of.com/tripkey.zip

I don't have time tonight, but I'll try to play this tomorrow and send you a transcript. It looks like fun!

-lc
Thanks. Thanks twice. I mean, I got the idea of doing a more "fleshed out" game with a teleporter. This one would include a personal teleporter, and allows you to travel various places. So I had an idea, then I thought about it, what would it be? Then I got the idea to have the player win it. Next, the player could get to the exit, but, they have to find a way to do so.

Well, I also implemented a "Rubik's Cube" where you're inside it. But I had to figure a reason to go there. Well, you find a way to get to the exit but because of an error, you have to go into the cube to fix it.

The only thing about the game is I'm short 16 points. The current game has 84 points worth of things to do, and I want to get to 100. I'm thinking something other than getting out of the game.

Maybe 4 points to get the gate ticket, and maybe a couple other side events of 5 points each. Hmm. Five points to use the revolving door in the store, and then I need to think of something for 5 more points.

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

I'm surprised the Sketchup AVI worked in the game. The other year, I was testing Hugo with various AVI files trying to track down exactly what works and what didn't, and I don't remember finding *anything* that worked (I only had success with MPEG files), so I'm impressed that the Sketchup file worked "just out of the box" like that.

For future releases of the game, you might want to bundle all of those resources into a resource file.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:I'm surprised the Sketchup AVI worked in the game. The other year, I was testing Hugo with various AVI files trying to track down exactly what works and what didn't, and I don't remember finding *anything* that worked (I only had success with MPEG files), so I'm impressed that the Sketchup file worked "just out of the box" like that.

For future releases of the game, you might want to bundle all of those resources into a resource file.
I'm not really sure how you put things into a resource file, and more than that, this is still a beta release; I think it is finished but I want to have people bang on it and tell me of problems.

Like, the first puzzle - getting out of the Center - might be too hard, and maybe I have to give some hints. Or perhaps the second puzzle - getting out of the game after getting out of the center - is too hard, or people don't realize / discover that there are two ways to complete that part of the game.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I eagerly await Ben's review.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

I am unable to download the Computer Game Programme, nor am I getting any response from "in-the-matter-of.com".

It appears whoever is hosting it has taken the day off!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I-can't-download-it.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

It finally downloaded.

I walked around all over the place, took a shower, took a leak, walked outside, ignored warnings that I had to take a leak AGAIN, peed on the courtyard which shorted something out and killed me, and was told "YOU'VE WON THE GAME!"

Couple things:

1. Seems pretty well put together (with the following caveats.)

2. I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

3. Please remove the PEE CODE.

4. The scoring mechanism is kinda broken -- both the "your score" and the "possible score" keep going up. Why does the "possible score" keep going up?

5. Killing yourself by peeing on the floor shouldn't work in the grassy courtyard. It also shouldn't be a WINNING condition. But since you're going to remove the PEE CODE as I asked, none of this will be a problem.

6. Please include a Hugo interpreter in the ZIP file, so that it's easy to play.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:It finally downloaded.

I walked around all over the place, took a shower, took a leak, walked outside, ignored warnings that I had to take a leak AGAIN, peed on the courtyard which shorted something out and killed me, and was told "YOU'VE WON THE GAME!"

3. Please remove the PEE CODE.
I might take the pee code out, and in the courtyard it shouldn't do that, but it should have said you lost, not won.
1. Seems pretty well put together (with the following caveats.)

2. I don't know what I'm supposed to do.
Okay, I guess I need to give more hints on what to do. You need to find a way out. Try opening things, and if you have trouble opening something, you want to force it, and if that doesn't work, use violence.
Couple things:

4. The scoring mechanism is kinda broken -- both the "your score" and the "possible score" keep going up. Why does the "possible score" keep going up?
The maximum score (in the release you have) is about 86, I think. It will be 100.
5. Killing yourself by peeing on the floor shouldn't work in the grassy courtyard.
No, it should not.
It also shouldn't be a WINNING condition.
It's supposed to be a lose condition.
But since you're going to remove the PEE CODE as I asked, none of this will be a problem.
I have not said I will remove it. I might consider it, or, what I'll do is it's only a requirement until the first time they take a leak. It won't repeat unless they drink something. That might make more sense.
6. Please include a Hugo interpreter in the ZIP file, so that it's easy to play.
Excellent suggestion, I'll do that.

I'll make some suggestions and release version 0.4 as a patch and update the original zip file to update the game to 0.4 and include the interpreter.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: The maximum score (in the release you have) is about 86, I think. It will be 100.
Ah, I see. I thought that in "12/32" on the status bar, the first number was the score, and the second number was the possible score. But in fact, the second number is the number of moves.

Not sure that's standard, but it's not a bug as I originally described.
I have not said I will remove it. I might consider it, or, what I'll do is it's only a requirement until the first time they take a leak. It won't repeat unless they drink something. That might make more sense.
You WILL remove it, and you WILL do so immediately. NOBODY WANTS PEE CODE. It's not cute, funny, interesting, or entertaining. It just smacks of "this is my first text adventure and I saw an Infocom game do something like this 30 years ago."

Remove it now. I DEMAND IT!!!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Paul will remove it.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:I have not said I will remove it. I might consider it, or, what I'll do is it's only a requirement until the first time they take a leak. It won't repeat unless they drink something. That might make more sense.
You WILL remove it, and you WILL do so immediately. NOBODY WANTS PEE CODE. It's not cute, funny, interesting, or entertaining. It just smacks of "this is my first text adventure and I saw an Infocom game do something like this 30 years ago."

Remove it now. I DEMAND IT!!!
Okay, how much is it worth for me to remove it? How much are you willing to pay, Chrome Dome? Otherwise, I think I'll have it complain every 5 moves. Especially if it irritates you.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Paul will remove it.
Don't put code removal in my mouth. Yours was a much more polite recommendation, but it's still a recommendation. Now, if post-rapist Pinhead is going to demand I remove it, I guarantee it will never come out. It will be a permanent part of the program.

I don't have to do anything but die, I don't even pay taxes. And if I change something in the game it's because I think it makes the game more fun and/or because I think it should be there.

I'll make you a deal. Bribe me. Restore post-editing here and it goes, today. Since you've claimed you'll never allow post editing again, I can be just as much a bastard as you are.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Offline, Paul has stated that he has begun the process of removing the piss code. Thank you, Paul.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Thank goodness. Paul, you were right to remove the code, as we demanded.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

An update to fix some of the problems is downloadable
from http://in-the-matter-of.com/tripkey.hex

The main zip file http://in-the-matter-of.com/tripkey.zip has had the hex file replaced as well