Invisible Characters

This is a discussion / support forum for the Hugo programming language by Kent Tessman. Hugo is a powerful programming language for making text games / interactive fiction with multimedia support.

Hugo download links: https://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo
Roody Yogurt's Hugo Blog: https://notdeadhugo.blogspot.com
The Hugor interpreter by RealNC: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Hugor

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, joltcountry

Tdarcos

Invisible Characters

Post by Tdarcos »

I know one of the reasons I initially implemented a female_character as an object, it's because when you were in a room she didn't show up, and I'm trying to figure where DescribePlace excludes characters. Maybe it's the 'transparent' attribute, but I still can't quite figure it out.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

This doesn't make any sense. I created a plain object, put it in the room and it's not listed, while an identical object (except for prononouns) on the dresser is.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

There is also a problem, every time I include "verblib.g" the compiler says it's not there. The file is in the directory of the source file I'm working with, and I also copied it into the directory where the executable of the compiler is located, yet it says it can't find it. Which makes zero sense either.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I see there is a problem, I have an include file; I put a syntax error and the compiler never noticed. It's not seeing one of my files.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I gotta run an errand, but I will help you with all these when I get back.

One quick sanity check: do you have this at the top of your game file?

#set VERBSTUBS

Because I forgot about that. That's the first non-comment line I have in my work-in-progress. Then I ensure that verbstub.h is in the same directory my other source files are.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

Tdarcos, if you are using the Windows frontend, go to Setup under Options and make sure it's all pointing at the right directories. I mean, you're right, it should see a library file in the same directory as the source file, but it's good to make sure your paths are set correctly just to be safe.

Also, as far as the frontend goes, I've found that you can run into problems if you do too much directory-hopping in one session. If you want to compile a file in a new directory, close out completely and start again.

Otherwise, if you are using Windows but aren't using the frontend (hcwin.exe), I recently found the usefulness of Hugo's environment variables support. If you don't already use environment variables, look up where to change them in your version of Windows.

Then, make a HUGO_LIB entry that points to where you keep your library files. Then, make a HUGO_OBJECT entry if you want every compiled file to go to the same directory (I like having new compiles go straight to my Desktop).

This way, you don't have to worry about any paths at compile time.

Anyhow, I have to think that most, if not all, of your recent problems are due to files not getting included properly. There's no reason you should have to go creating your own characters like that.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Roody_Yogurt wrote:Anyhow, I have to think that most, if not all, of your recent problems are due to files not getting included properly. There's no reason you should have to go creating your own characters like that.
That is what it was, in recreating the program I was using source files from the original system, and I was editing files in the "old" directory instead of the new one.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Roody_Yogurt

Post by Roody_Yogurt »

It's a good practice to put the whole set of library files in one place and then have all of your projects share them.

Instead of editing any of the library files, use the "replace" command in your own source files (http://hugo.gerynarsabode.org/index.php ... ed_routine).