Flack, can you give us the gist on the gov. shutdown?

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:35 pm

RetroRomper wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Abortion.

I don't think that it should be any one person's right to end a viable life at any point.
Guess this is where I should interject with:

1. A masturbation joke.
2. A contraception joke.
3. A "software engineers are libertarians who are wannabe Republications" joke.

Or I could try and make an insightful comment that won't actually make a different.

Retro
You could be killing the next Ron Gilbert
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Or the next Tdarcos - lets split our bets here.

3 day crickets

Post by 3 day crickets » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:23 am

wow, that lethargic drove everyone off.

lethargic

Post by lethargic » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Yeah, why aren't more people posting in a thread about a story that ended a month ago?? You people are lazy!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:28 am

Sadly for Flack, the sequester is still ongoing (with no end in sight) and we'll likely see this battle appear again in (I believe) January.

I'll be here to bump it again at that time!

Also, ABORTION!

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:01 am

That's true. For the last one, this is how we prepared: "WELL THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!" We are taking a different approach this time and stock piling money away.

Generally speaking, the general public (and I do not blame them) was not thrilled about non-working, non-essential federal workers receiving back pay for the three weeks we did not work. If we get furloughed again in January, I don't expect to receive back pay again. Also if we get furloughed again in January, I will begin job hunting.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:27 am

From the media blitz and talking points, the priorities for Congress in regards to back pay and getting the government running were:

1. The Pentagon
2. Military
3. National Parks (Park Rangers)
4. National monuments (Security?)
5. Essential workers Federal workers
6. Non-essential workers

Personally, being in a situation where a job can be taken away on the whim of a few individuals on a completely abstract level, wouldn't sit very well with me.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:48 am

RetroRomper wrote:Personally, being in a situation where a job can be taken away on the whim of a few individuals on a completely abstract level, wouldn't sit very well with me.
Retro, unless you were hired by a union shop, or you have an employment contract, in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, your employment is "at will." You can quit at any time and your employer can fire you at any time for any reason or no reason (as long as the reason is not one that violates a protected class of employee.)

In any private business, your immediate supervisor, if they have hiring authority, has the ability to fire you on a whim if they so choose to do so. If you can prove they fired you for an illegal reason, you may be able to get money damages and possibly your job back, but it may be hard to prove absent evidence of an improper reason.
"Shirt them a-tear up, trousers is gone/don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde."
-Desmond Dekker, The Israelites