Mark Udall, D-CO / Government Data Collection

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Mark Udall, D-CO / Government Data Collection

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Mark Udall was the rep from the house in my county a few years ago. He is now a Senator in Colorado. He is (along with Ron Wyden from Oregon) introducing legislation to limit what the feds can grab from us, it appears.

I guess this is good? I am amazed someone had the balls to do it. I'll be shocked if it goes anywhere.
WASHINGTON -- Sens. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) and Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) will introduce legislation to limit the federal government's authority to collect data on Americans, their offices announced Friday.

The bill would require that data collection be preceded by a "demonstrated link to terrorism or espionage." The senators will formally file the legislation next week, a spokeswoman for Udall told The Huffington Post.

"Although I strongly believe some authorities under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act provide valuable information that helps protect our national security, Americans with no link to terrorism or espionage should not have to worry that their private information is being swept up," Udall said in a statement. "This legislation strikes the right balance in protecting our homeland while also respecting our Constitution and Americans' widely cherished privacy rights."
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:15 am

I guess it is good, but... I think what the NSA is doing is already illegal, so I'm not sure what passing legislation to make it more illegal will accomplish (other than putting Mark Udall on both the "read his e-mail every day" and "cavity search at the airport" lists).
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne