Tdarcos and Motorcycles

News & Cars

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Flack wrote:Are people allowed to take out life insurances on their friends?
I hope you're kidding, or maybe you're serious, but I'll tell you the inside details. In order to insure someone's life, you must have an "insurable interest" in the insured, or the life insurance company can weasel out of it. This means, depending on the company, you have to be a first-order relative (parent, spouse, child, sibling) or a grandparent, to insure someone. You can also insure someone with whom you have a contractual obligation (your employee, a debtor or possibly a creditor).

If you don't fall into these classes, and you bought life insurance on them (presuming the company would sell it to you in the first place), if they die, you get your premiums back - without interest - but you don't get paid for the policy. You have no insurable interest and are not entitled to collect.

(Continued next message)
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 pm

(Continued from last message)

The only person who always has an absolute insurable interest in a person is the person themselves. You can always buy life insurance on yourself, and if your friend wants to pay you for the premiums, you can buy it and name them beneficiary. The statement of beneficiary in a policy overrides everything, marriage, will, or any other instruction to the contrary. If your will gives everything to your wife but you never change your beneficiary designation in your insurance that named your ex-wife, and you die, your ex will get the money.
Do most insurance companies accept BITCOIN?
Now I know you're kidding. They don't even accept paypal. When I had a Piece of the Rock back in the 1970s, they had to have a provision in the contract allowing them to make automatic premium payments by what we would now call electronic transfer, but in those days it was so new they actually issued a "guarantee draft" in which it's a printed draft without a signature issued by them on your checking account in which they guarantee that you authorized them to make the withdrawal.
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:16 pm

pinback wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:OK, what's a good starter bike that fits two people and comes in black?
[pic of motorcycle with coffin sidecar]
That was probably for that biker in the Progressive Insurance TV commercial after one of the guys from Some Other Insurance Co. knocked over his bike and 50 others. Poor bastard probably had a fuckin' heart attack after his and everyone else's bike was knocked over. Flo is an idiot, bikers do love their bikes more than life itself.

Speaking of idiocy, what the hell is Progressive doing with allowing people to park motorcycles inside the building? Hasn't anyone heard of carbon monoxide poisoning?

(The Italic is intentional; Progressive always shows their name in italics.)

pinback

Post by pinback » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Tdarcos wrote:
pinback wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:OK, what's a good starter bike that fits two people and comes in black?
[pic of motorcycle with coffin sidecar]
That was probably for that biker in the Progressive Insurance TV commercial after one of the guys from Some Other Insurance Co. knocked over his bike and 50 others. Poor bastard probably had a fuckin' heart attack after his and everyone else's bike was knocked over. Flo is an idiot, bikers do love their bikes more than life itself.

Speaking of idiocy, what the hell is Progressive doing with allowing people to park motorcycles inside the building? Hasn't anyone heard of carbon monoxide poisoning?

(The Italic is intentional; Progressive always shows their name in italics.)
Have you ever masturbated to Flo? It's okay, that's why they make her like that. Man, the things I would do to Flo? Well, I don't know because I'm not very worldly, but I'm sure there are things I could do.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:07 am

pinback wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:(The Italic is intentional; Progressive always shows their name in italics.)
Have you ever masturbated to Flo? It's okay, that's why they make her like that. Man, the things I would do to Flo? Well, I don't know because I'm not very worldly, but I'm sure there are things I could do.
I find her completely unattractive and I haven't been able to masturbate in more than six months. Personal reasons I don't feel like explaining right now.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:27 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Welp. Time to shut this place down. We're never gonna top that.

I got told on Twitter to not get a Harley, and not get a Harley as my first bike.

People seem to suggest Yamaha?
Maybe. I've heard some people got together and bought back the rights to the Indian trademark and are now making motorcycles under the Indian name.

But I'm curious, did they give any explanation as to why not to buy HD? I mean, as I alluded to earlier, when AMF owned Harley Davidson, basically they got a bad case of bean counterism, in which the company's operations were dictated by the accountants. This meant cost cutting and quality reduction in a (vain) attempt to boost profits.

(Continued in message 2)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:28 am

(Continued from message 1)

Since the bikes during the AMF era were being made cheaply and things that reduce maintenance and improve quality were being cut - sort of the way companies that sell to Walmart generally have to cut quality on the stuff Walmart is given in order to be able to sell to them at the low prices Walmart demands - the bikes were terrible, they had horrible reliability and terrible maintenance problems.

(Continued in message 3)
Last edited by Tdarcos on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tdarcos

Message 3

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:29 am

(Continued from message 2)

This example may be unnecessary but I'll give it to show the difference, and I have to use houses because I don't know how motorcycles are constructed. Building a house by adding a plastic vapor barrier around the foundation can reduce the odds of water seepage, and in a home costing $100,000, it might add $500 to the construction, and years to the life of the property. But that's $500 that the contractor has to spend. Now, if the homeowner wants to add that years later, it means he has to spend upwards of $20,000 to have the foundation dug out, the barrier inserted, and the hole filled in. Which is why most homeowners just have water damage patched up because of the enormous cost to retrofit something that would be a trivial cost if engineered in, in the first place.

(Continued in message 4)
Last edited by Tdarcos on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tdarcos

Message 4

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:30 am

(Continued from message 3)

The difference being, of course, that the manufacturer is paying a little extra to include the quality in, in the first place, while not doing it cost-shifts putting the missing quality back in later to the customer, albeit at a much higher cost because it's always more expensive to fix something afterward than to put it in when the amount of work that has already been done is none or small.

And that was the thing the new owners of Harley Davidson did after they bought the company from AMF in a leveraged buy out, was to engineer back into the product those nice things that cost a little more, but add real value to the product and allow it to command a premium price.

(Continued in message 5)
Last edited by Tdarcos on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 am

(Continued from message 4)

Back around 1993 when my sister needed me to be able to drive her around when she would be recovering for several weeks from foot surgery and unable to drive, she took me and drove us over to the parking lot at the Pentagon, and I practiced learning to drive her car. Oh, I already knew how to drive, but I did not know how to drive a car with a stick. The basic thing you have to learn is not to "ride" the clutch and to shift smoothly.

When I was driving her car for several weeks I didn't do it right, so I ended up having to pay the $400 for her to replace the clutch I wore out. Eventually I learned.

(Continued in message 6)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:38 am

(Continued from message 5)

So, maybe that's the reason you're being advised not to buy a Harley when you're first starting out, you want to buy a cheap bike that it doesn't matter if you burn the thing out or damage it badly, you're going to learn on it and better you learn on something either cheap, expendable or both.

And that's the point I'm making - or trying to make - here. If you're new to riding a motorcycle you're going to be very hard on it and buying something either built to stand the abuse or so cheap it won't matter if you ruin it, is probably a better idea than spending more money on a good, but not ruggedly built model.

(Continued in Message 7)

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 am

(Continued from message 6)

This is the reason you get a kid who's first driving a beater so he wears out an already busted-up vehicle rather than something valuabe. Once they learn to be better at driving then they can be upgraded to a decent-quality car.

And I think the same rule can apply to you and learning on a motorcycle.

Anyone who thinks I'm completely wrong is welcome to step in here and explain why. That way I, and those reading, can learn something.

ICJ

Post by ICJ » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:46 am

Now let me ask you this. Is there any way those 7 messages could have been more concise?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:02 pm

I almost beat my high score on Missile Command!

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:12 pm

AArdvark wrote:I almost beat my high score on Missile Command!
+1
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:38 am

After four or five hours, I hit 5 million some odd points on the Xbox version of Missile Command. In my drunken stupor, was quite proud of myself.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:10 pm

On the original Atari 2600 version of the game I was playing it on 'super easy' mode and was able to play one game for three and a half hours. That's about how long it would take Commander to explain his top ten motorcycle list.

THE
BONUS CITY
AARDVARK

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:40 am

My dark secret: whenever I obtain an extra life, I get a slight adrenaline rush.