It's nice work when you can get it

News & Cars

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

It's nice work when you can get it

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Twice every other year, I work as an election judge. It requires taking a training class of about 2 hours a few weeks before the election, where they give you a thick book which tells how to handle the election and the rules to follow. The night before the election (of 11/06) we had to show up around 6:30 to unload the equipment and set up everything that doesn't have to be secured. This is anything that doesn't require a chain of custody such as the election machines, to prevent tampering. That takes about 3 hours.

We have to show up on election day by 6 because the polls must open at 7, no exceptions. Polls close at 8pm but there's about 2-3 hours of work afterwards. So, in total, call it about 2 days total work. But the pay ain't bad at all. I get two of these, one for the primary and this one for the General election.

The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:37 pm

You're just now getting your election judge money? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it's government after all.

THE
BUT STILL
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:12 pm

AArdvark wrote:You're just now getting your election judge money? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it's government after all.
This is standard, for one-time employees it takes the county about six weeks to cut a check.

Prince George's County is notorious for having problems issuing paychecks. In Risks Digest 23.01 of November 7, 2003, I noted how WBIG radio had a report on October 25 that the PG County School District had problems paying employees; some hadn't been paid since the start of the school year.
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com