Public School violence

News & Cars

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Flack wrote:Without spending the next hour going back point by point through the last couple of responses, I'll just say I disagree with most of it and leave it at that.
HEADLINE: FLACK IN FAVOR OF NUKING JAPAN TWO MORE TIMES
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 am

To clarify: I also thought the barrel full of guns/ crack was in poor taste, especially because I LIVE IN THE CITY HE WAS REFERRING TO and the redneck that suggested it lives in the sticks. I let it go as typical backwoods humor. Anyway...

How many of us have, or have friends that own these big clip, semi-auto assault weapons?

Aardvark: (raises hand) Three of my friends have them and they are all responsible owners with trigger locks and gun safes and safety courses. None of them are 'gun nuts' or imbalanced or sociopaths.

They just think that the guns are cool, that's the real reason for owning them in the first place, isn't it?

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 am

pinback wrote:Do you... are you willing to try ANYTHING, just for kicks? Just on the off-chance not everybody knows every fucking thing about how the future will unfold in any given scenario?

Nobody wants to try anything. They just want to post this fucking thing on every public forum imaginable and then go to bed with a smug fucking smirk on their face. JOB'S DONE!!
I'm not willing to try things that are likely to get more people killed than less, no, especially if I'm one of those people. If you want to go around your neighborhood and collect everybody's guns and throw them in a big bonfire, be my guest. My advice would be to not advertise it publicly, as the day after you do this every criminal within 50 miles will target your neighborhood. If I call 911 it takes 10-15 minutes for the police to get to my house. That's a long time to be on your own. Despite that fact we don't have a big crime problem here because about once a year someone breaks into a house here and gets shot and people remember not to do that. So no, I'm not willing to go back to carrying a musket or whatever.

According to the news, 1.5 million AR-15s have been made and sold in the US in the past 5 years. So your plan is ... what again? Ask those people nicely to turn in 1.5 million unregistered rifles? Good fucking luck.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:40 am

Flack, I just want to note that I was kidding around about the nuclear bomb thing. I can edit my post up there. It looks weird with it being at the start of a thread.

Jokes about nuclear weapons, ho ho ho! I'm sorry, everyone. Please bear with me through these next two weeks and hopefully everything will be a lot better.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:12 pm

For perspective on my err... Perspective, be aware that I was nearly suspended in High School for writing an essay that framed the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as performance art. Anyway, it appears I was wrong about my thoughts on automatic rifles (a poster of reddit noted that such weapons account for the most visible but not nearly even a third of all shootings) but am torn because the subject doesn't really matter: many see it as an encroaching point of government into our daily lives but Europe has lived in a largely gun free environment for over 40 years without any ill effects.

Its just one aspect that I have to get myself worked up over to care about because there are so many more pertinent things to think through and about...

Regardless, the only complaint I have is the whole idea of forming schools around fear and the possibility of harm: do we want to completely change our system so it actively encourages dread and fear? Any who - going to make a run to the grocery store on my new bike.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Two firefighters just got shot and killed during a house fire in Webster. My best friend is a firefighter. I hope he responds to all future runs with his AK-47.

THE
WTF!
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:24 pm

I heard about that and it's just awful. Killing people whose sole purpose is to help others, whether it's firemen or teachers, is just bad, bad juju.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:04 pm

The guy was an asshole. Too bad he didn't die in prison.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:27 am

RetroRomper wrote:For perspective on my err... Perspective, be aware that I was nearly suspended in High School for writing an essay that framed the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as performance art.
You have a very stuffy school. We had an assignment to do a show and tell, and I got an A.

My subject: The correct way to kill yourself by slitting your wrists, including drawings. People mistakenly bend their wrists forward, which hides the vein and isn't completely effective. Better you bend the wrist when cutting.

Everyone in the class thought it was cool, and nobody figured I was suicidal, it was simply to do something "Awesome."
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that no one learns the lessons of history. tdarcos@tdarcos.com