Oh, by the way: NEW FUCKING PLANET FOUND

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Oh, by the way: NEW FUCKING PLANET FOUND

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:27 pm

How the hell isn't this the top story everywhere? I had to go to frigging Slashdot to find it.

Anyway:
A new planet-like object has been found circling the Sun more than one and a half billion kilometres beyond Pluto.

Quaoar, as it has been dubbed, is about 1,280 kilometres across (800 miles) and is the biggest find in the Solar System since Pluto itself 72 years ago.

The object is about one-tenth the diameter of Earth and circles the Sun every 288 years.

It is half Pluto's size, but apparently larger than the ninth planet's moon, Charon.

"It's about the size of all the asteroids put together," Michael Brown of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, US, told BBC News Online. "So this thing is really quite big."

The clowns that found it are trying to give it a name which does not fit the scheme.
Astronomers named the new object Quaoar, after the creation myth of the Tongva people who inhabited the Los Angeles area before the arrival of the Spanish and other European settlers.

To the indigenous peoples, Quaoar was the great force of nature that summoned all other things into being.
Hey, that's great. That'll fit right in with the rest of the planets which are named after Tongvan myth.

Every once in a while you'll see a bunch of artfags whine about how there has yet to be an artist in space and all that -- how geeks and engineers and stiffs and the like are the last people who ought to be out there because they are oblivious to the beauty of the scenario. I had always considered that to be crap until today. Douglas Adams had an idea on what to call the 10th planet -- Persephone. Aside from the fact that is wonderfully perfect, "Quaoar" is a strong second choice. I mean, tenth choice. I mean, 1,000,000,000th choice.

Article from the BBC right here.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:41 pm

It has come to my attention that D. Adams did not infact invent that term for the would-be 10th planet.

I am not very well read.

However, I will say that I am aware that there is a lot of discussion on whether or not Pluto should be a planet, or whether this one should, etc. I don't know if the newly-found thing has a moon, but with Pluto having one, shouldn't that be enough?

Ben

Re: Oh, by the way: NEW FUCKING PLANET FOUND

Post by Ben » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:44 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:How the hell isn't this the top story everywhere? I had to go to frigging Slashdot to find it.
Because!

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl » Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:58 pm

Speaking of Harry Potter... everyone else heard about the vibrating "Nimbus 2000" broomstick toy right? HA!

-LG
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:51 pm

I presume it's really a vibrator?

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl » Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:55 pm

No it's an actual TOY that they're selling to kids.
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!