Actual car-based content: price per hr of labor, natch

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Actual car-based content: price per hr of labor, natch

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:49 am

Hey, I think I got "ripped off."

A place where I took my car for some A/C repair charged $79.95 for an hour's worth of labor. My dad is what you would call a "car guy" (and in fact sells them) and informs me that in New York, a dealer may charge $65/hr and a non-affliated mechanic around $40.

My brother had some work done on his truck not too long ago, and his price was closer to $80 than $65 as well.

Dunno if anyone within the sound of this message has their cars taken in or whatnot, but what are you guys getting charged? The thing is, I could understand some mechanic dude trying to give the screws to me if they managed to suss out that I don't know jack about cars. But I interacted with the guy for all of about 60 seconds. I didn't say much more than, "Hey, my air conditioning is dead." Certainly you're not expected to haggle over the bill are you? (Are you?)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw » Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:38 am

I just had to take the Accord in because I broke a lower control arm bolt.

"Mike's Service Center", Lima NY, $42 an hour. Don't know how it compares even around here because it was the closest shop we could push it to.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:45 am

You got a good deal if you're happy with the work they did. The mechanic ("Schaeffer's Auto" in Hamlin, NY) does rock-solid work and is at $40/hr, I think. If I played my cards right I'd drive home for Christmas and have Mike and myself take two 12 hour shifts. It's two days less for ribaldry in Rochester but then I hardly ever schedule anything the day I am flying. (If I could find one other guy to drive it'd be one eight hour shift of driving for three guys, which is pretty doable.) I could then get my car looked at by someone who wouldn't kill me on the price. (Right now it's in perfect condition, but I'm thinking I'll need brakes before too long.)
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Jack Straw

Post by Jack Straw » Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:35 pm

I'll come do your brakes for free. You just pay the low low cost of parts and rountrip airfare.

First class, of course.