The Scots: loopy over UFOs

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Scots: loopy over UFOs

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:19 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/06/2 ... index.html

The country, better known as the home of legendary Loch Ness monster, has the highest concentration of UFO sightings on the planet, according to figures released Monday.

Around 300 "Unidentified Flying Objects" are spotted in Scotland each year, the most per square kilometer and per head of population of anywhere in the world, figures compiled by Scotland's official tourist body found.

VisitScotland said 0.004 UFOs were spotted for every square kilometer of Scotland -- a rate four times as high as in France or Italy, this planet's other UFO hotspots. The 2,000 UFOs are spotted every year in the United States represent just 0.0002 sightings per square kilometer.

"This confirms that Scotland is the nearest thing there is to the Costa del Sol for aliens," a VisitScotland spokesman said, referring to the tourist mecca of southern Spain, which attracts tens of thousands of holidaymakers every year.

There was one UFO sighting per 17,000 inhabitants in Scotland compared to one per 61,200 in Canada, and one per 136,450 in the United States.

The Scots' favorite spot for extraterrestrial visitors is Bonnybridge, 50 km (30 miles) west of Edinburgh. One local government official has even called for the town to be twinned with Roswell in New Mexico, the U.S. UFO capital.

"Traditionally Scotland has had a lot of odd incidents, right through history, from ghosts and poltergeists to supernatural beings and the Loch Ness monster. So, Scotland is well-known as a place where strange things happen, Ron Halliday, author of "UFO Scotland," said.

Others had a less dramatic explanation.

"UFOs tend to be attracted to regions that are fairly remote. Plus if you have a remote area, look out for airbases; Scotland is littered with them," Graham Birdsall, editor of UFO magazine, said.

"In 90 percent of UFO reports a bit of diligent research will produce a simple explanation."

The figures' release coincided with what aficionados celebrate as International UFO day, the anniversary of June 24, 1947.

On that date, a U.S. air force pilot claimed to have spotted nine mysterious disc-shaped objects over the Cascade Mountains in Washington, leading to the term "flying saucer."

Someday I need to take a trip there just to hang with all the whacked-out crazies. Ghosts, castles, Nessie, etc. Right on.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Lex

Post by Lex » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:23 am

You're welcome to crash out here, if you ever get the urge to explore the world. But yeah, plenty of weird stuff happens out here. A lot of haunted shit happens in the caverns underneath Edinburgh: I've been on-tour in them three times, and twice has the weird occured. Once this American chick and her little girl were in an old cavern with us, and the lights went out. When the light came back on again the mother was slumped against the far wall as though something had been pulling her into it, the daughted was standing on the other side, her hand resting on the opposite wall. She claimed that her mother's hand had led her their when the lights were out.
The second was just the generic take-a-picture-and-an-unexplainable-fog-appears-over-what-used-to-be-a-Wiccan-pedestal.
And not forgetting the time a mate of mine put down an orange to take a photo, and picked it up again to find it was perfectly peeled.
WHOOA!

Lex

Post by Lex » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:25 am

Actually, they offer some kind of pretty cool reward for anyone willing to spend the night in the most haunted room. You & I should try that, Jonsey.
WHOOA!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:48 am

They must really attempt to mess with you if they are providing a reward. Like if the ghosts experience a temporary reprieve from the hell-on-earth that their non-existence has become for just one night (and someone happens to be there) they must have to start hitting the doors with giant chains often not seen in places other than "Spawn" comic books.

I wonder what a good strategy would be. In most cases I feel I could sleep for my country. So if I had no sleep the night before I could be out almost instantly and oblivious to things for a good 11 or 12 hours. Or maybe having laptops available and some headphones would be a better strategy. Dunno. Is their success rate really, really low for things like that? A cool venture, nevertheless. You either get the reward or some kick-ass ghost stories (which may be worth more than the reward).
Last edited by Ice Cream Jonsey on Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

loafergirl

Post by loafergirl » Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:08 pm

All I can picture is that Monty Python episode that Scottsman are taking over the world, everywhere the UFOs land the population turns into Scottsman, wearing kilts and growin red beards (including women and children).
1, 2, 5!
3 sir...
3!