The Jeep RENEGADE

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

The Jeep RENEGADE

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:43 am

This is probably going nowhere for a while but then I'll come back to the thread in a year and it will be useful. Do any of you guys have an opinion on a Jeep Renegade? It looks like the cheap version of the modern Jeep, I guess?

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.renegade.2019. ... 8/renegade

Not sure if they have a bad reputation and I don't trust anyone but you guys.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Re: The Jeep RENEGADE

Post by Flack » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:12 am

Well in high school I wanted nothing but a Jeep and would have loved a Renegade. The new ones look like a Kia Soul to me. Not sure how much off roading one would handle, although I assume you would be looking at one for climbing mount Sherwin (your driveway).
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:24 pm

Aaagh! I have nothing against Kias, but if that is what comes to mind then I am thinking that this might be a hard sell.

I think ........... "4x4" is better in the snow than not, right? And yeah, the objective here is to have something that lets us leave the house in the middle of a snowstorm for under 30 grand.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Yeah you def want 4x4 drive. Do you like trucks at all or would you prefer suv?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Well, my first two vehicles were an S-10 and an S-15. They are just barely trucks! I think the easiest sell for my wife is a future Jeep. We are probably years away from pulling the trigger. But yeah, I like to stick with a brand until they give me a reason not to.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:31 am

I never had a Renegade but I did have a Wrangler. A couple of times I got stuck that if I hadn't had on-demand 4-wheel drive I'd have had to call for a tow. As my sister told me, you can't be in 4WD all the time, it uses too much gas that way, but when you need it, it really helps.
————
The jig is up, the news is out
They've finally found me
The renegade who had it made
Retrieved for a bounty

Never more to go astray
- Styx, Renegade
"Shirt them a-tear up, trousers is gone/don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde."
-Desmond Dekker, The Israelites

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:38 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:11 pm
We are probably years away from pulling the trigger.
And once you've done so, at some point you'll "gun" the engine, and let someone ride "shotgun."
"Shirt them a-tear up, trousers is gone/don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:16 am

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:11 pm
Well, my first two vehicles were an S-10 and an S-15. They are just barely trucks! I think the easiest sell for my wife is a future Jeep. We are probably years away from pulling the trigger. But yeah, I like to stick with a brand until they give me a reason not to.
Ah ok. I was thinking more big ass Dodge Ram 4x4 but this being for your wife then a jeep with 4 wheel drive is probably best. Good for you she's not asking for a more expensive Range Rover or something.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Current jeeps are pretty shitty. If getting through snow is what you want, a good AWD is better than 4WD, but mainly it's whether or not you have snow tires and a small shovel. I got a Hyundai Elantra through 8+" of the "Blizzard of 1999" solely by having a good pair of snow tires on the front wheels and using my snow scraper as a shovel when I high-centered it in a drift. Took like 8-10 hours to drive the 20 minutes home, but it worked. 4WD doesn't allow shifting torque, all wheels turn at the same speed no matter what, which makes turning and road speeds difficult. on the flipside, AWD gets lower mpg since it's always on.

Also both forms make you go but do jack-shit to help you stop, which is why every slight flurry you see a bunch of man-tanks flipped into every possible ditch.

I recommend everyone just buy 2 really cheap rims from the junkyard and mount a pair of good studded snows on them. Then it's 15 min each fall and spring to swap them on your FWD car and you're doing better than %95 of the people out there. Pack some survival kit[1] and you're in the top 10.

[1] Stable food, water (in a container that won't blow up when it freezes every night), shovel, blanket, mitten warmers. Things like jumper cables and a tow strap are more year-round.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:41 pm

The Happiness Engine wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:31 pm
Current jeeps are pretty shitty.

Also both forms make you go but do jack-shit to help you stop, which is why every slight flurry you see a bunch of man-tanks flipped into every possible ditch
Hahaha this is so true Nov-Mar in middle N.C. You see these idiots everywhere. Breaks are shit when you are on dirt or snow and they are diarrhea on ice. People either keep their distance and just let off the gas early or they end up on the side of the road.

Flack

Post by Flack » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:07 am

My buddy Jeff bought a new Jeep Wrangler back in 2015. Had added a few aftermarket parts, like air intake and a few little things -- nothing major. Over the past four years, the computer brain in his Jeep has died twice, which Jeep says is not covered under warranty due to the modifications. It has cost him $3k each time.

This has nothing to do with the Jeep Renegade, nor do I think you would modify it if you bought one, but so far it's cost my buddy $6k and I feel like by telling it I'm helping him get some money out of the deal.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:18 am

Flack wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:07 am
My buddy Jeff bought a new Jeep Wrangler back in 2015. Had added a few aftermarket parts, like air intake and a few little things -- nothing major. Over the past four years, the computer brain in his Jeep has died twice, which Jeep says is not covered under warranty due to the modifications. It has cost him $3k each time.
This is bullshit to get out of paying warranty claims. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (look it up on Wikipedia) covers this. Unless his modifications in some manner changed the computer's operation, it is covered under warranty, e.g. if you replace the muffler with a non-manufacturer's high-performance exhaust, this would void the warranty with respect to the exhaust system. It would not affect the warranty on your engine, transmission or power train. Under Magnuson-Moss, replacing components with aftermarket parts only voids the warranty with respect to those parts.

Have him contact a lawyer who handles car litigation or warranty suits.

Flack

Post by Flack » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:28 am

He did contact a lawyer. The lawyer fees were going to be more than the repair fees.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Flack wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:28 am
He did contact a lawyer. The lawyer fees were going to be more than the repair fees.
The Magnuson-Moss warranty act covers this, as the last line of the Wikipedia article says, "Moreover, one of the key aids to the effectiveness of the act is that a prevailing plaintiff may recover reasonable costs of suit, including attorney fees.[11]"

If the lawyer is saying he has to cover attorney's fees, either he did not contact a lawyer who specializes in automobile warranty claims or if the aalleged lawyer really does specialize in this, that (s)he thinks the case is weak.

Again, he needs to see a lawyer who specializes in automobile warranty claim cases.

————
(fn 11) See 15 U.S.C. 2310(d)(2).

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Maybe Wikipedia will cover the repair bill