Three weeks

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Ice Cream Jonsey

Three weeks

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:58 pm

I'm actually looking for everyone to give me their hypotheticals. Let your rage fly in this thread.

While driving home last night, the check engine light came on my car, along with the cruise control light, the ABS light, the hill assist light and the slippery roads light. I did some reading on the subject. My car is a 2018 WRX with 10,000 miles. I saw everything from "the gas cap was not tight" to "Subaru gave up and bought the car back."

I called the nearest dealership to me to get it looked at. It's under warranty, it's their goddamn problem. I was told at this dealership that three weeks was the soonest they could get me in. I made that appointment before hanging up because I was at work and didn't want to scream at them.

I am on an incline coming out of the ramp at work. What the hill assist thing does is give you two seconds to take your foot off the brake before applying gas. (I drive a stick.) That did NOT work tonight. Luckily there was nobody behind me. And I knew the cruise was off because it needs to flash that light.

Okay. With that in mind, I am hoping that everyone who reads this will tell me what THEY would do in this situation.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Re: Three weeks

Post by Flack » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:16 pm

The first week I owned my STI, I was shifting out of fourth and accidentally put it in 3rd instead of 5th. As you can imagine, the tach shot through the red and the car immediately dropped 20mph. Moments later, every light on the dash lit up light a Christmas tree. Even worse, the car would no longer go into "sport mode."

I read an article online that said turn the car off for 10 minutes and recheck it. If that didn't fix it, unhook the battery for 10 minutes, and that would reset everything. If there's really a problem, the lights will come back. That's what I ended up doing (the battery) and it solved the problem. Well, it solved the problem with the lights, not with me having trouble with that particular shifter.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

Flack

Post by Flack » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Also for what it's worth, warranty work can be performed by any authorized dealer. It does not have to be done at the place where you bought your car. If you try the battery thing and it doesn't work, you might check around for any other Subaru dealerships who might be able to get you in more quickly.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:58 pm
Okay. With that in mind, I am hoping that everyone who reads this will tell me what THEY would do in this situation.
Stop driving the fucker and get to whichever dealer has the shortest wait time.
"I might only have one match / But I can make an explosion."
- Rachel Platten, Fight Song

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:51 pm

Great point, Flack - I did disconnect one of the leads to my battery and waited a bit. The dash issue is gone. If it comes back, well, maybe I'll take them up on that future appointment date.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:52 pm

Good point, Commander. My dad also told me to see if some of the other dealerships had a quicker wait time, but if they were all trying to blow me off he encouraged me to go ballistic at them.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:25 pm

This is concerning news because it looks like I'm going to probably be getting a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek in the next week or so. I had already read enough about Subaru's engine issues around 100k and the CVT failing right after warranty to make me decide on a 36 month lease so I wouldn't have to deal with those issues. Please let me know any other issues you guys have had with Subarus before I make the jump from Toyotas to something completely unfamiliar.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Blowing up on the phone wouldn't have accomplished anything, they are hoping you do that because it's an easy situation to isolate. What these larger dealerships are banking on is that you won't show up in person and create a radioactive environment during a high customer traffic period. You can't be the asshole customer because they could just ask you to leave but a distraught customer is what they dread the most. Just remember that "there must be someone else I can talk to about this."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:19 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:50 pm
What these larger dealerships are banking on is that you won't show up in person and create a radioactive environment during a high customer traffic period. You can't be the asshole customer because they could just ask you to leave but a distraught customer is what they dread the most.
I think someone walking the sidewalk carrying a sign reading "Phuck Yew Chrysler-Plymouth rips off customers please do not patronize," would qualify as radioactive, don't you think?

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:35 am

Man, I am dreading the day the ‘98 Toyota dies (though maybe never?) and also dreading when I finally break down and buy a “new” car (at least 1 year old).

Flack already gave good advice as a Subaru owner. I’m going to stick with Honda I think if I ever get a fun car. My 1990 prelude could do 50 mph + in 3rd gear lol

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:09 am

Casual Observer wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:25 pm
This is concerning news because it looks like I'm going to probably be getting a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek in the next week or so. I had already read enough about Subaru's engine issues around 100k and the CVT failing right after warranty to make me decide on a 36 month lease so I wouldn't have to deal with those issues. Please let me know any other issues you guys have had with Subarus before I make the jump from Toyotas to something completely unfamiliar.
My STI (which lived a very pampered life) was one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. Other than throwing it into the wrong gear that one time, the only other time it went in was for a single recall. Our Honda Crosstour has had 5 or 6 recalls. One of my friends just bought a Forester and another bought an Outback and they've had nothing but praise so far.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:05 am

Flack wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:09 am
Casual Observer wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:25 pm
My STI (which lived a very pampered life) was one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. Other than throwing it into the wrong gear that one time, the only other time it went in was for a single recall. Our Honda Crosstour has had 5 or 6 recalls. One of my friends just bought a Forester and another bought an Outback and they've had nothing but praise so far.
Not sure what a Crosstour is but sounds like an SUV type thing I wouldn't drive. Outbacks though yeah I've heard a lot of good stuff about those of varying years! I'd actually drive one of those even if a little goofy lookin

Flack

Post by Flack » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:43 am

It was essentially an Accord hatchback. I think they made them for six years and changed them three times so it was one of those things they just couldn't get right.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:49 pm

Flack wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:43 am
It was essentially an Accord hatchback. I think they made them for six years and changed them three times so it was one of those things they just couldn't get right.
Ah ok that sounds about right. Honda made good engines in general for years. Even their lawnmower motors made great open modified go kart racing motors.

I’m totally out of touch with new vehicles. My dads new truck uses a dial to switch gears..

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Flack was right and Jesus Christ could all of you stop taking your cars to the Dealer?! go the the Proletariat Houses, and Consort with The Women. There's a guy somewhere who if you PROMISE not to be an asshole he will treat you right. Find Him.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:50 pm

Billy Mays wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:50 pm
Blowing up on the phone wouldn't have accomplished anything, they are hoping you do that because it's an easy situation to isolate.
No one working in customer service on the phone is hoping that someone blows up at them.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:51 pm

The Happiness Engine wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:41 pm
Flack was right and Jesus Christ could all of you stop taking your cars to the Dealer?! go the the Proletariat Houses, and Consort with The Women. There's a guy somewhere who if you PROMISE not to be an asshole he will treat you right. Find Him.
Can we take our cars to the dealer when they are under warranty? What kind of warranty does the man running the cathouse give you?

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:58 pm

He's right, if it's under warranty it's dealer or no deal. Other than that go to a locally owned place where they know their stuff. I've been using S&D Automotive for the last 25 years and they're tops. Of course you have to schedule two weeks out because they're so busy but they own the place and they answer the phone themselves so you always talk right to the top banana. They know me by name and usually can cut me a break if it's a semi-emergency.

THE
BROKEN FRASIK RIPPILATOR
AARDVARK

and I have one of those select-a-gear knobs in my new car, pretty cool.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:34 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:51 pm
Can we take our cars to the dealer when they are under warranty? What kind of warranty does the man running the cathouse give you?
My Grandfather asked this once after My Father's Guy did him a huge favor: "Warranty? I promise it'll roll downhill out of my shop and then it's your problem." Followed by explaining to my father in very short words that his father-in-law was Not Welcome Back.

On the other hand, I was told I should tip some Milwaukee Light to un-fuck my car and APPARENTLY a $15 case was "too much" and they were expecting a six-pack. My continuing issue with bending my rear passenger tire all out of alignment was fixed pretty quickly, and hanging out in a shop drinking beer is pretty fun when you're 23.

It may involve some shouting, but warranty work is required by law to be honored at a 3rd party shop. Apple got sued over that.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:52 am

AArdvark wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:58 pm
I've been using S&D Automotive for the last 25 years and they're tops.
Good thing it's not S&M Automotive or the experience might be painful.