Hey, can you guys recommend any stand up comedians I'm not watching yet?

News & Cars

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Casual Observer

Hey, can you guys recommend any stand up comedians I'm not watching yet?

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:17 am

I've lately been getting into new stand up comedians. I honestly hadn't really paid attention to comedians for some time except the standards (Chappelle, Carlin, etc). Since Carlin I've realized I have an affinity for cynical comedy. Sadly, I only last year heard of Bill Hicks who is like Carlin except more professorial and maybe more cynical about everything. Here's what I've been watching recently, hopefully someone else can recommend other comedians who you think are awesome now.

Bill Hicks - again, can't believe I just heard about him but he really gets my negative cynisism about religion and people and he's kinda dryly funny. Unfortunately, he wasn't all that diverse. I kinda think that if you're going to have multiple comedy specials then maybe you shouldn't repeat or restate too many of the jokes from before.

Bill Burr - seems like an angrier less reserved and more self depriciating Bill Hicks, does repeat some of his material but does have stuff that makes me laugh out loud, probably because of my current low opinion of male/female relations etc.

Jim Jeffries - Australian guy, laugh out loud funny if you don't mind the word "cunt" being used hundreds of times in a show which I don't currently. His sarcastic but forceful cynical comedy made me laugh harder than anything i've seen recently. I've watched 4 of his comedy specials and the only one where he repeated anything was his 2017 one where he had to spend 15 minutes telling people that "hey, comedy doesn't mean that's what I meant. At least I didn't rape like bill cosby". Completely original and funny as shit each show.

Now, what I'm not too thrilled with right now:
Louis CK - I never watched his standup before his "mee too" moment. I thought he was funny and genial in the one movie I saw him in. Now when my only knowledge of him is that he apparently likes to jerk off in front of almost stranger women, his material which every joke contains masturbation kind of turns me off. Oh well.

Pete Davidson - Never knew he thought he was a stand up comedian, thought he was just a very minor annoying character on SNL until he started being in the "news" constantly. I have Xfinity which unfortunately when you have a show paused likes to show the most innane news headlines that they can find along with some stupid picture. So every week i've had to read some stupid shit about this annoying guy's girlfriend (Arriana Grande, one of the worst of the modern music industry) or some another stupid tatoo he's gotten. I only watch "weekend update" on SNL so figured this guy was just some annoying whiny piece of shit. And that's exactly what he is. He is a news attention whore and dares to start an insult war with Chevy Chase. Apparently he's piling on the guy who helped get SNL started and may not have had a huge career but was classic in movies like Fletch, Vacation, Caddyshack, Spies Like Us, etc. I tried to watch exactly one of Pete Davidson's stand up shows and turned off after his first joke goes like this: "i'm only doing this show to earn $250 to buy Drake ticets for my GIRLFRIEND. And I know Drake", and no mike drop just standing there like a piece of shit waiting for a pity laugh. Hey Pete, Chevy wasn't ever a stand up comedian and you're not either so go away.

So anyway, who else should I be watching? Aziz Ansari? Who else is new and actually funny?

Casual Observer

Re: Hey, can you guys recommend any stand up comedians I'm not watching yet?

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:23 am

Oh, I looked up and Pete Davison's father was a firefighter who died in 911 so maybe he gets somewhat of a pass, I don't know.

Flack

Post by Flack » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:10 am

I love Carlin and can't stand Hicks. Hicks doesn't seem funny to me at all. Every clip I've seen is just him being mad and not funny. Maybe you had to be there the first time around.

Pete Davidson does that same annoying thing that Jimmy Fallon always did where he cracks up in every skit he's in. When Fallon did it, it was actually kind of entertaining. I want to like Pete Davidson but just can't.

I watched one or two of Aziz Ansari's stand up specials and thought they were really funny.

One of my favorite comedians is Jake Johannsen. He's a little sarcastic but more "observational" comedy. Here's a clip about putting hats on bears. I have always loved his slightly nervous/skittish delivery style.

Last week I watched Demetri Martin's special on Netflix. He's more of a "one liner" guy but I thought it was good. I also watched Tig Notaro's special on Netflix. I like her but my wife doesn't.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:26 am

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:08 am

I love Norm, although lately he seems too subdued and almost broken (see him on The View after recent comments)

pinback

Post by pinback » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Anthony Jeselnik.

That is all.
Above all else... We shall go on... And continue!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:07 pm

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:23 pm

AArdvark wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:07 pm
Maybe these guys?
Sounds funny, I'll have to check them out. I really miss Opie and Anthony so maybe this will fill that void.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:10 pm

I think you would really like Kyle Kinane, CO.

Keeping in mind he has to tone it down a bit for Conan's show.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:04 pm

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:10 pm
He's funny as shit, thanks ICJ! I've got to watch his other stuff tonight.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:07 pm

pinback wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:32 pm
Anthony Jeselnik.
Ehh, not sure yet. Gotta give him more chances but hopefully he doesn't always do the Ellen thing: set up with a situation/phase that sounds reasonable then pause then follow up with something that makes the whole thing funny/wierd. Also, maybe he needs to do some coke or something to perk up.

pinback

Post by pinback » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 pm

"My uncle runs a summer camp for kids about to be molested." If that doesn't do it for ya, I can't help ya.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:40 pm

pinback wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 pm
"My uncle runs a summer camp for kids about to be molested." If that doesn't do it for ya, I can't help ya.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. I only started with a 5 min clip so I'll give him another go.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:54 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:04 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:10 pm
He's funny as shit, thanks ICJ! I've got to watch his other stuff tonight.
Watching that one clip I posted - I liked it, but I also think he has stuff that is far better! He is coming to Denver in October. I think I am going to get tickets.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:10 pm

Just watched this one, hilarious. Love his stream of consciousness manic energy combined with gross self depreciating cynical material.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Hey, this guy is pretty funny: Hannibal Buress

pinback

Post by pinback » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Hannibal Buress is an excellent choice. Here's another favorite:

Also Hannibal Buress outed Bill Cosby as a rapist, so he's not only funny, but a national hero.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Ran across this one tonight, I think she's understated and wryly funny, too bad it doesn't seem like she's done anything bigger than Conan. Dina Hashem. I'll link a super small comedy night where most of the guys are horrible so time 2:40 is where she is.

Casual Observer

Post by Casual Observer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Casual Observer wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:42 pm
Ran across this one tonight, I think she's understated and wryly funny, too bad it doesn't seem like she's done anything bigger than Conan. Dina Hashem. I'll link a super small comedy night where most of the guys are horrible so time 2:40 is where she is.

It's almost a female rodney dangerfieldish shit, tell me I'm wrong.