Beto O'Rourke / cDc

News & Cars

Moderators: Ice Cream Jonsey, AArdvark

Flack

Beto O'Rourke / cDc

Post by Flack » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Earlier today it was announced that Beto O'Rourke, former member of the House of Representatives and 2020 presidential candidate, was a former member of the Cult of the Dead Cow (cDc) who wrote text files under the alias "Psychedelic Warlord."

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... o-orourke/

I can't imagine any denizens of Jolt Country not being familiar with the cDc, but here's a quick rundown: formed in 1984, cDc is the longest running hacking collective in existance. After publishing hundreds of textfiles, the group released Back Orifice, a hacking tool so powerful it forced Microsoft to rethink the way they dealt with OS security. They are also credited with coining the phrase "hactivism."

Apparently the news was leaked by Joseph Menn, author of the upcoming book "Cult of the Dead Cow: How the Original Jacking Supergroup Might Just Save the World." The book is scheduled to be released on June 4, but unsurprisingly after today's announcement, it's currently #1 in the "computer hacking" category on Amazon.

Journalists are already pouncing on some of Beto's published texts. Most of them are mind-boggling bad -- after all, they were written when he was roughly 15 years old. I can't imagine any of us who were calling BBSes during the 80s wouldn't cringe to have the things we wrote plastered across CNN. Oof.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of running around New York City for a few days with cDc founding member Swamp Rat. We had a great time talking about BBSes and old computers and swapping old h/p stories, but all the same it was obvious that neither of us were the kids we were back in the 1980s. We all loved BBSes and we all loved the excitement that whole electronic world brought, but all of us here grew up and got jobs and became mostly responsible people.

I hope Beto's outing doesn't nosedive his career. Everybody was a dopey kid once.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

RealNC

Re: Beto O'Rourke / cDc

Post by RealNC » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:05 am

0xDEADBEEF forever.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:14 am

I mean, think of all the stuff Trump did and all the stuff that comes up every day. I hope we're beyond this as a culture. Christ, it is a GOOD thing that someone competent with technology is running for high office.

What it comes down to is whether or not the Democrats running for office are going to work as a team in the debates and in the media or not. If they all rip on each other for two years leading up to the election it makes them all look bad.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:39 pm

This only raises my opinion of the man, cDc was the BEST back in the day. I still use "One million dollars and a monster truck" as a bargaining position.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 pm

It's true. There's no downside. Was he in a cult that had 33 indictments so far around it? No? Guess this isn't a negative in any possible way.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:28 pm

I mean, I'm with you guys, and I would love for all of this to work out, but here's one of the poems he published through cDc:
I need a butt-shine,
Right now
You are holy,
Oh, sacred Cow
I thirst for you,
Provide Milk.

Buff my balls,
Love the Cow,
Good fortune for those that do.
Love me, breathe my feet,
The Cow has risen.

Wax my ass,
Scrub my balls.
The Cow has risen,
Provide Milk.

Oh, Milky wonder, sing for us once more,
Live your life, everlusting joy.
Thrust your hooves up my analytic passage,
Enjoy my fruits

Provider of Cheese and other wonderful dairy products,
We will cleanse your inner intestines.
We will bathe in your Pungent Odor,
Gather cotton.

Count my eyes,
Smell my skin,
Love the Scarecrow and the Milkman.
I live only for eternity,
Thirst for the undrinkable.
Hold the heat,
Praise the dough boy at the pizza shop.
Love the Oxen dung!
I'm not sure how that's going to go over in the debates.
"Jack Flack always escapes." -Davey Osborne

RealNC

Post by RealNC » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Looks like an attempt at comedy to me. Not exactly hilarious, but still mildly amusing.