State of the Hot Sauce 2014

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper

State of the Hot Sauce 2014

Post by RetroRomper »

There are currently four hot sauces in regular use around my household:

*Pain 95% - used as an additive for larger batches of food.

*Palo Alto Firefighters Sauce - daily go-to sauce for all of my meals (rice, noodles, sandwiches, etc. and I just purchased a gallon jug of the stuff)

*Sriracha - HapticAnimal's preferred squeeze bottle.

*Saucee - when a slightly sweater hot sauce is preferred (partly fruit (mango) based if I remember correctly).

May pick up a bottle of Tobasco, but I became burnt out on it a few years back (plus it would be a gateway / rationale to make cheese fries more often (or at all).

What are you guys using around the house to give your food that extra kick?

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

* Sriracha

* El Yucateco Green, Red, Chipotle, and Jalapeno (Chipotle rarely used because it's disappointingly gross, but otherwise I can get by for pretty much anything with Sriracha or the El Yucs)

* Tabasco

And that's it.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Sriracha, Crystal, Tabasco, and Golden Toad Habanero.

Lol. I used to be Hot Sauce Expert. The Golden Toad is the only thing you can't buy from every gas station in the country.

The specialized sauces can be fun, but a lot of them are just not good for everyday use. Crystal goes on everything, and it's a buck a gallon. Whaddya want. If you're not in full-on hobbyist mode, the stuff at the store is fine.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

All the ones I got for Christmas in 2012 are about 1/3 full. Hoping to finish them off soon and pick up some new sauces and flavors.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

hapticanimal

Post by hapticanimal »

Flack wrote:Image
Since when is East Asia Teriyaki sauce considered hot sauce? Please tell me it's magically spicy and the name is misleading.

gsdgsd

Re: State of the Hot Sauce 2014

Post by gsdgsd »

RetroRomper wrote:*Palo Alto Firefighters Sauce - daily go-to sauce for all of my meals (rice, noodles, sandwiches, etc. and I just purchased a gallon jug of the stuff)
Whoops. Obviously I was wrong.

My order arrived on Thursday night. Since then, I've been planning meals around ways to incorporate the habanero stuff (or adding extra meals, like, "I know I just had eggs an hour ago, but I think I need nachos). Alerting us to this sauce's existence is the best thing Retro's ever done.

Flack

Post by Flack »

hapticanimal wrote:Since when is East Asia Teriyaki sauce considered hot sauce? Please tell me it's magically spicy and the name is misleading.
It's considered hot sauce when they sell it in a box of hot sauces bottles and they write "hot sauce" on the label in red. I don't know if it was made hot by magical means or if they used the traditional method of adding hot spices to it, but it is warm. It is good on anything that you would normally add teriyaki sauce to, if you wanted that item to be teriyaki flavored, but hotter.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."