The Sriracha Revolution

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

The Sriracha Revolution

Post by pinback »

All of a sudden Sriracha has gotten famous, to the point where the factory's actually been asked to curtail their production because of the cloud of stench it's creating over the neighboring neighborhoods.

And the first thing I saw was, "19 sauces better than Sriracha!" Like now that it's popular, we gotta knock it down.

I will get into this more later. Sriracha is still singularly perfect and unique, no matter how popular it gets.

It reminds me of how when hot sauces started getting popular, the coolest thing you could say was that whatever fucking sauce you found was better than Tabasco, like a craft beer snob POO-POOING Budweiser.

Except Tabasco isn't fucking Budweiser. Tabasco is still fucking amazing, and I hate all these Faggy Come Latelies who can now tell you all the popular sauces you can buy at the store are shit and their shit is better. I HATE THEM ALL.

Do I have to remind you all of the popular Store Sauces that are, and will always be awesome? Do I have to do that?

So mad irl.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Tabasco sauce is incredible, and I really hate hipsters.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Chili Garlic Sauce > Sriracha

Ice Cream Jonsey

Retro.... RETRO!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Retro.

Retro?

Tdarcos

Re: The Sriracha Revolution

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:All of a sudden Sriracha has gotten famous, to the point where the factory's actually been asked to curtail their production because of the cloud of stench it's creating over the neighboring neighborhoods.
Occupational hazard of hot sauce makers. A brand-new forklift will last 20 years with routine maintenance at the typical chemical plant and still have life left in it or could be resold. The fumes at the Tobasco plant are so bad new forklifts wear out and have to be scrapped after 3 years, and are corroded. This is why Tobasco's plant is on Avery Island, LA, away from everybody.
Sriracha is still singularly perfect and unique, no matter how popular it gets.
Is it just flavored by pepper(s) it uses or do they add additional flavoring/spices?
Except Tabasco isn't fucking Budweiser. Tabasco is still fucking amazing
Tabasco as bottled is about 5,000 Scoville Units (as packed in barrels and aged for several years it's about 50,000 and they have to "water it down" with vinegar; it's too strong to sell otherwise). A pure jalapeno is about 6,000. What's the Scoville for Siriacha?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

PAUL. Stop it!

I am politely asking you to stop posting.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

pinback wrote:Sriracha is still singularly perfect and unique, no matter how popular it gets.
Maybe the push back or search for "indie sauces" you described are merely people confusing different with better because they are burnt out on a now ubiquitous flavor?

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

The ubiquitous Huy Fong is fine, but rather one note. I have heard that other SE Asian brands are more balanced, but I would have to go outside to test that assertion.

pinback

Post by pinback »

The Happiness Engine wrote:The ubiquitous Huy Fong is fine, but rather one note. I have heard that other SE Asian brands are more balanced, but I would have to go outside to test that assertion.
One note.

ONE NOTE.

Are you fucking serious? How would you describe that one note? Because within the first second, I'm in a fucking WHIRLWIND of chile, garlic, sweetness, and all the COLORS OF THE FUCKING TASTE RAINBOW, in perfect balance.

One note my HAIRY PURPLE DICK.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I made a point to explore the hot sauce rack at my local Asian market and subsequently discovered that other Sriracha, Garlic chili, etc. sauces aren't more well balanced or anything, just different.

Huy Fong is a very good sauce, but as with any category of items, there is a much larger variety to explore.

The Happiness Engine

pinback wrote:Are you fucking serious? How would you describe that one note?
It's chili, they put garlic in there. "Meh."

Because I am that guy.

Ice Cream Jonsey

My next door neighbors make Jo Jo's green chile Sriracha. It is the only Sriracha I really like and I try to have it on everything.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I've started picking a random bottle of hot sauce from our local Asian market each time we go. It's going to take me 400 years to get through them all but that's the plan.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

At some point I have to assume that everyone's face in your town is numb.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:12 pm Tabasco is still fucking amazing,
In a History Channel "Modern Marvels" episode on the making of Tabasco sauce, they told how in the company warehouse they prepare Tabasco as a concentrate in wooden barrels, then line the top with a layer of salt, to absorb some of the fumes. They are then put into storage for a few years to age and mellow, then it's decanted and cut with other liquids when bottling to bring the strength down.

Employees have to work in full-body hazmat suits with respirator when moving, loading or unloading barrels because the escaping fumes will cause serious respiratory and skin problems. They have to replace their forklift trucks rapidly because the concentrated Tabasco fumes wear them out. Typical usage time in a commercial/industrial warehouse for a new forklift is 15-20 years. Typical useful lifetime for a new forklift in the McIlhenny Co. New Iberia, LA Tabasco aging facility: three years.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

It's deja vu all over again with the forklift anecdote

Flack

Post by Flack »

And barrels.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

Anyone know how long Tabasco's forklifts last? I'd imagine they'd endure extra wear and tear, what with the fumes from all those cayenne chiles.

The Happiness Engine

Can we all come together in the spirit of friendship and agree everything about this is hot (HEH) garbage?