I Have Changed My Pizza Allegiance

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

I Have Changed My Pizza Allegiance

Post by pinback »

My whole life, I have been a NY-style guy. I don't regret a minute of it. But I'm older now, and things change.

I hereby state on this 27th of December, in the year of our Lord 2012, that I am now a Chicago pizza guy.

I will now field questions.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

CO

Post by CO »

Where are you living now? You can't honestly say this choice matters in washington state.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I am living in New Mexico. It matters wherever you are.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

What has prompted this sudden shift in Pinback's crust (preference)?

Did the Mayan calendar predict this change?

What are your favorite New Mexico pizza places (give props here!)

Will Don Rogers ever talk about this before the Mayan calendar runs out again? And if so, when?

Have you ever had the Pizza Hut Chicago style and was it a factor in the switch?

THE
60 MINUTES
OF PIZZA
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Well, you're an idiot for preferring NYC over Rochester pizza. I've always said that about you. It is your worst quality. But beyond that...

The problem is that the Chicago pizza is the size of a wedding cake. You're really not going to be able to do anything productive 48-56 hours after eating a Chicago pie.

What was that place that had the mail-order Chicago pie? I am sorry I said mean things up there. Let's just move on, not respond to it and give me the data.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I was always under the assumption that Rochester pizza was just an offshoot of Chicago pie. Now I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

THE
OH MAN!
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

AArdvark wrote:I was always under the assumption that Rochester pizza was just an offshoot of Chicago pie. Now I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

THE
OH MAN!
AARDVARK
What the christ is that.

Anyway, loumalnatis.com

Also, in the Denver area you have the closest you will ever come to real Chicago pie without going there. Down there near... that mall near Parker. Hold on.

Yeah. Right here, baby:

http://rockymountainpie.com/

AWESOME.

Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark wrote:I was always under the assumption that Rochester pizza was just an offshoot of Chicago pie. Now I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

THE
OH MAN!
AARDVARK
Yeah, that works, Varkus.

That works.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I took Vark and ICJ to a place that serves both New York style pizza and Chicago style pizza in the same place. And it's in Oklahoma, so fuck all. Half the restaurant is decorated in New York stuff. The other half is decorated in Chicago stuff. You can order either type of pizza, regardless of where you sit.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yeah, that place was good.

You know what? I am getting hung up on words like "best". Who gives a crap what is best? I gave into negativity, a mistake I won't make again.

So, sure, I like a pizza that looks like this:

That is OK. NYC and Chicago pizza still make up the holy trifecta of the best foods on earth.

Now c'mere and give me a hug! And a slice of that pie!!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Chicago is pan baked, deep dish pizza correct? New York is thinner sliced and the more mundane type the rest of the country is used to, right?

Anyway.. After a casual search, it appears that the pizza parlors (that looked as if they moonlighted as half way houses) I frequented in San Diego serve New York style pizza. Which for five dollars ($6 gave you the option of substituting mozzarella) amounted to a round, pan shaped pile of grease...

I vaguely remember three or four stores being within walking distance of my apartment down there: Giant Pizza King, Tasty Pizza, Mike's New York Pizza, Giant New York Pizza, etc. not only hold places deep within my plague lined heart but are also the oddest examples of Mexican service moving cross culturally to another food. It had its own flair, style and taste that would earn such pizzerias (that are situated within biking distance of the border no less) the title Mexican Pizza but mmm...

Many memories and heart ache of buying and woofing down a $5 pizza on a Friday night.

Ice Cream Jonsey

RetroRomper wrote:Chicago is pan baked, deep dish pizza correct? New York is thinner sliced and the more mundane type the rest of the country is used to, right?
New York City pizza is that, yes.

Anyway.. After a casual search, it appears that the pizza parlors (that looked as if they moonlighted as half way houses) I frequented in San Diego serve New York style pizza.
Heh, yeah - the thing is, a lot of places claim to make NYC-style pizza, but all they really do is make it a little.... thin. The crust is a little thin. They don't really get anything right about the experience, they just have slightly thinner crusts than you think.

I mean, the picture that you showed: that's delicious. It's 1:47AM and I want to order a pie because of it. But that's not really NYC pizza. It's the pantomime of the real thing. There are 100 places in Denver that try to do the same deal. They all fail and they don't care. I mean, if nobody gets it perfect, why should they?

One of the main reasons they fail is because they don't get that the pizza in question needs to be extremely floppy -- all of it. A good slice of NYC pie is also enormous.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Most pizza I've encountered is firm enough to hold its shape but is nowhere near thin nor thick enough to be called either NYC or Chicago Style. Guess we can lay blame to places such as Dominoes, Pizza Hut and three or four other brands that popularized that weird cross between New York and Chicago styles.

And the enormity of the pie also caught on: most of the pizzerias in San Diego touted one form of giant pizza or another (didn't encounter a restaurant that didn't offer a gargantuan example of the food). Weird how some things stick and others don't.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Yes, they are the devil and everyone involved with those places should d- ...

Negativity....

OK, starting over. You are right. I don't like what they did to pizza.

Do you know how lucky we are that there isn't chain Indian food or chain pho? That two or three assholes haven't started giant, shitty chains to ruin those experiences as well? We're lucky, Retro.

I should state that even bad pizza is terrific. I want that on the official transcript. I have been staring at the picture Retro posted for two hours.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I should state that even bad pizza is terrific.
And I'll state categorically that it is not. Back around 1994 I Ordered a pizza for delivery once from a local place in Bethesda, MD where I worked, and I guess they must have used sugar by mistake for either salt or cheese or something, because it was extremely sweet and essentially inedible.

Last year, as a result of a visitor coming over and deciding to order pizza from a menu that was here, I tried pizza from a local place in Hyattsville, MD that delivered. More expensive than the national chains, plus, it was actually worse than Dominoes!
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Flack

Post by Flack »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any bad pizza TDarcos has received was more than likely intentionally made that way by someone who had previously met TDarcos.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote:
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:I should state that even bad pizza is terrific.
And I'll state categorically that it is not. Back around 1994 I Ordered a pizza for delivery once from a local place in Bethesda, MD where I worked, and I guess they must have used sugar by mistake for either salt or cheese or something, because it was extremely sweet and essentially inedible.
Okay. OKAY. GOD.

"Bad pizza is good pizza UNLESS they top it with poison-arrow frogs, or they get one of the fundamental ingredients wrong, like substituting the topping of sugar for the intended topping of salt."

No, I am just kidding around, I ain't even mad. That pizza sounds gross!

Last year, as a result of a visitor coming over and deciding to order pizza from a menu that was here, I tried pizza from a local place in Hyattsville, MD that delivered. More expensive than the national chains, plus, it was actually worse than Dominoes!
Who was this visitor? Didja have a broad over? Bow-chicka!!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:and I guess they must have used sugar by mistake for either salt or cheese or something
No. You can't "I guess" that. You're telling me you don't remember if they substituted sugar for the cheese?

I guarantee you ordered a pizzookie.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

The fuck is a pizzookie?

That a cross between a pizza and a cookie? Gagging here.

Oh that reminds me. Later, when I have time, remind me to post about the spaghetti pizza, the candy pizza and the gobbly-goo (sp?) pizza.

THE
KTHXL8R
AARDVAK

pinback

Post by pinback »