Cracked used a pic of my Polybius for one of their stories

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Cracked used a pic of my Polybius for one of their stories

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Props go out to Flack for noticing this:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19172_8- ... ue_p2.html

If you scroll all the way down to #1, you'll see a pic of my Polybius cabinet. (To the side is my Arkanoid, which I no longer have, and in the background are some Magnetic Scrolls text adventures, which sit atop a display case in my house.)

I AM THE GODDAMN URBAN LEGEND, FRIENDS
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Having stood in the exact spot where that picture was taken, it was pretty easy to recognize. The boxed text adventures in the background were a dead giveaway.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

This didn't really take off like I thought it might.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Cracked Magazine? Sylvester the janitor Cracked magazine?

The Happiness Engine

This was my first thought when I saw that.

Post by The Happiness Engine »

I didn't think it was interesting. It still isn't.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

In my drunken rage I was TRYING to say, "The first thing I thought when I saw that was I wonder if it's ICJ's Polybius cabinet" but I couldn't come up with anything more interesting to say about it so I passed on by.

Sorry for the entirely logical reading of "Fuck. You." that is my previous post.

Ice Cream Jonsey

We understand, THE. Now seems like a good time to admit that I was too stupid to understand the difference between horizontal and vertical monitors when I put that Polybius (ne Egg Venture) cab together. So the JAMMA board is vertical, and the monitor is vertical, but it's in a 25" horizontal cab. That's an error I need to account for at some point.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

I was browsing through Kotaku (exactly why, your guess is as good as mine) and noticed that they were running an overview of the Polybius phenomenon. The picture they ran with as their center piece, contains a very familiar Arkanoid Cab...

http://kotaku.com/5865357/the-crazy-urb ... e?autoplay

Cracked and now Kotaku - you are the Internet's go to guy for imaginary Arcade Conspiracies.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hahaha! So!

G4 did an article on Polybius. They didn't link to my page here at JC, but that's fine.

I wanted to see how many pictures were of my machine when you searched for Polybius. I found this!

This is the cutest thing ever! It is clearly a cartoon version of my cab, which you can see here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... abinet.jpg

It's adorable. (I've also since gotten rid of that control panel, but it was worth me making the control panel from scratch so that the cartoon version could have it.)

pinback

Post by pinback »

What is that, a triangle?!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I was watching Polybius videos tonight and this one showed me that the game appeared in the first issue of "Batman Incorporated."

Apparently the artist used my game as a reference. I APPROVE. I can't remember if I said this or not, but I AM the urban legend.

(And I was actually watching videos because I had decided to gut my cab, sell it and find a proper vertical cab for my multi-game. Well that will never happen now that it was in Batman.)

It's at 13:15 here:

[youtube][/youtube]

Ice Cream Jonsey

Or here it is without the video:

Flack

Post by Flack »

If you ever decide to sell that cabinet, after punching you in the head, I will take it.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Understood. Agreed.

I do like that this is what comics have come to -- I haven't bought one in years, but I'm still fond of the medium.

But to ensure sales they are now putting in the personal property of people on the fence when it comes to buying new ones. Sold!!!!!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Here is what I absolutely fucking despise about comic books:

I was going to go to Mile High Comics and purchase the issue of Batman, Incorporated that had the drawing of my Polybius machine in it. I'd then scan it and upload it for the article I am working on.

I go to Mile High Comics's website......... and there were TWO fucking volumes of Batman, Inc. 2012 and 2010. In other words, they re-did the fucking numbering after ONE YEAR.

It is so amazingly goddamn weak, desperate and pathetic. Yes, you get a slight bump when you release a issue with "#1" on the cover. It makes it absolutely fucking impossible to ever get a back issue once you do it over and over again.

Especially amazing is that they rebooted this fucking thing after a year. A YEAR. God, I hate comic books.

Ice Cream Jonsey

OK, Wikipedia says it was the 2012 version. I will have you know that they also made an "issue zero" of this stupid fucking comic. So simply getting the first issue would be incorrect, I would need to get issue #1. The second issue.

Comics, ladies and gentlemen.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Thread bump...
Speaking of teh Polybius, wouldn't it be cool if there was a small metal plaque on the back of RobB's cabinet saying that it was Property of the U.S. Government, Portland Pych-ops Dept. Cabinet No: 0013
of something like that...

Last edited by AArdvark on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

You could just tell everyone you found it inside the cabinet before you converted it to a mame machine

THE
FAKE NEWS
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Vark, we got that plaque the other week and I wanted to sincerely thank you. We are finding the right place to put it on the machine. It caused quite a debate in our household!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I'm sorry I put Seattle instead of Portland on it. I forgot which Northwestern city the rumors were taking place.

Glad you like it tho

THE
ANYTIME
AARDVARK