Robotron, Joust, Defender and others

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I've always had a difficult time telling the last family apart from the baddies and usually end up blasting everything, thus lowering my score. Must need more practice.

THE
KILL 'EM ALL
AND LET WILLIAMS
SORT 'EM OUT
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

You can't shoot the last human family.

God, I feel like a pedantic cunt posting this message.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote:Even if you reset the high scores someday, I still couldn't get on the board. There's something about that game that doesn't go well with ADHD. Every time I play I'm like, "Okay here we go, there's some robots, there's a brain with legs, there's some people and WHOA BOY FLASHING LIGHTS WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK RUN AND SHOOT IN A CIRCLE OH MY GOD RUN FOR THE MIDDLE NO WAIT RUN FOR THE SIDE NO WAIT AH FUCK I'M DEAD.
True.

There used to be a poster on this BBS that was the Karate Champ sensei or something, and he'd award points and half-points. I assume I drove him off with some accidental, snide anti-Asian sentiment.

Anyway, that's not really the point of my post. I'm very poor at Robotron, having not surpassed 145K. You know what? I'm gonna boot the game and play a game and come back here and post my score. I'm gonna call my own shot. It will be greater than 145K. It will be the greatest game I have ever played.
Last edited by Ice Cream Jonsey on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I was going to play ten games, but I ... spoilers!

My previous high score: 145K.
(I am going to eliminate some less significant digits.)

1) 141K
2) 129K
3) 117K
4) 89K
5) 49K

OK, I did worse in each of my first five games. I don't fully understand why this is the case, but I have seen it with my play in some other games. Onwards!

6) 93K
7) 95K
8) 146K

A new record! For me, personally. Barely.

9) 106K
10) 154K

Another new record! For me, personally.

I didn't want to go out with my top game the last game, so I played one more:

11) 130K

So maybe I was gonna downwards-trend again.

So maybe this could be a thing. It doesn't take me long to play one game, so ten games is zero times ten.

I think at this point, the guys I call the wizards no longer bug me. Lemme look up their real names.

Enforcers! Of course. These guys used to get me every time, but I can honestly say I'm better at avoiding their bullets now.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Played through ten more games tonight. Fatigue in my left thumb was definitely LESS. I set personal high scores twice, and three of my scores were better than my best scores ever, previous to tonight.

Starting with game number seven, I started to note when I died for good on the first tank wave.

1) 167K
2) 143K
3) 22K
4) 174K
5) 159K
6) 114K
7) 21K
8) 130K t
9) 127K t
10) 110K t

So, I am able to get to the tank wave fairly regularly. I also noticed that I avoided the trend I had experienced with a few games over the last week, where the first game is the best one I play for some time. So that was good.

I think I am getting a little better in moving away from enforcer bursts - I really can't think of a time when I was "on" where they got me. One thing I did notice, in my last couple of games, is mentally seeing enforcer and tank shots and being unable to get my left hand to move out of the way. Whether this is because of my age or what I am not sure - you don't often hear about reflexes dying in video games, so I think it was more a matter of not being used to my brain yelling at my nervous system with GOOD information for Robotron.

Ice Cream Jonsey

There won't be any updates on this for a while, since the monitor in my Robotron game just died.

Ice Cream Jonsey

OK, this just became a repair thread! I know nothing about monitors. The first thing I read is to check the fuse.

I couldn't find a fuse just looking, but - saints be praised - there is a hi-res photo of the thing's board on klov.

(And here I will note that I have no idea what any part to the monitor is called.)

(That should be its own thread.)

Anyway, I found the fuse and extracted it. The 25K7184 takes a 2 amp, 250 volt fuse. I had a 1 amp, 250 volt fuse and put it in just for the hell of it. It immediately blew.

Okay, that's fine - you can go with a lower amp, just not a higher one. Unfortunately, I didn't gain any real information at the cost of that fuse. Fortunately they are so cheap you can only buy five of them at a time.

When I wake up, I'm going to hop over to Radio Shack and buy some 2 amp, 250 volt fuses. If they immediately pop, then I've got some good info to start troubleshooting with.

Ice Cream Jonsey

I played Robotron on the 360 tonight. My brother tricked me into getting a 360 gold membership for a month, so I tried to create a two player game.

FIRST OFF, there are no people playing. In an hour I played three games against people.

SECONDLY, you both play at the same time. I expected it to show us taking turns.

THIRDLY and DAMNINGLY, it stops your fucking game when the other person's game ends. What kind of complete bullshit is that? I know why there aren't any games, though. Jesus Christ.

Again, people who work on computers are the dumbest employed people in America sometimes.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

How's that Arcade etiquette by Microsoft? They stop your game when the other player's game ends? As they chant in hockey arenas all over the world...
Bull...shittttt!
Bull...shitttt!

(Funny, spellcheck has a red line problem with a five-t shit but not a four-t shit. Huh.)

Anyway back to online Robotron. What is the cabinet policy of a two player game? Swap players each life? (Asteroids, Pac-man and most others) or go a whole game then it's player two's turn? (er..Can't think of the game but I remember having to wait the entire player one's game until I could play my turn.)

Making up new Robotron parameters is unacceptable. Please do NOT play that game again via the 360.

THE
AN OUTRAGE! DO YOU HEAR
AARDVARK

Ice Cream Jonsey

With competitive gamers, they will either play separate games (not making it a two player game at all, really) or else play as regular folk do - but if one's opponent is having an AMAZING game at a world record pace or something (and the game was on free play), then it is etiquette to kill your guys off and let the guy playing the astounding game go forward with it.

The thing with 360 Robotron is just another nail in the coffin of modern day video games. The industry drives off anyone over the age of 30, so of course nobody who worked on that port is going to take a stand and have an objection to how it was implemented. It should have been a fireable offense to even suggest it, as it shows the person with that brainwave is unqualified to work on video games, but instead people liked it enough to go forward with it.

If it's a requirement that Microsoft puts forth: "can't have a multiplayer 360 Live game unless both players are playing at the same time" then throw the blame over there, but either way it's an unusable mess.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Pacray fixed my 25" monitor! He thought it was the transistors. I'm savin the last human famleeee!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Robotron, Joust, Defender and others

My imageshack link did not survive up there. The game did, though.

Pacray in Boulder/Longmont fixed the monitor either before I knew Melissa or right as I met her. I can't remember. I didn't mention it in this thread, so I am thinking maybe 2010? So it's lasted 10 years without any trouble. God, I love that machine. Since the search is broken, I should find all the posts I did for the games I own and bump them with new photos.

Tdarcos

Re:

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:09 pm You can't shoot the last human family.

God, I feel like a pedantic cunt posting this message.
I resent that. That's my job. Please don't take away the one thing I'm good at.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

You responded to another eleven-year-old post, Paul.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:19 am You responded to another eleven-year-old post, Paul.
Yeah, and if you hadn't fucking replied to the goddam message within 5 minutes of my posting it, I could have deleted it. Which I was about to do when I was rudely informed someone replied to it, which locks it from deletion.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

Paul, please check the dates on posts before you reply to them.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

It's okay, the Commander is just helping us all by participating. It's fun to see how the threads go. I had not gotten to the end of the thread when I replied last night. So thanks on Pacray doing that and yes, it was before I met my wife.

Ice Cream Jonsey

This monitor went out again. I'd rather get run over by a green space hulk than fix a transistor, so off to make some calls.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Search terms for the monitor - WG 25K 7184 WG25K7184.

Ice Cream Jonsey