ATTN Aardvark - Machinist help please sir?

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Jizaboz

ATTN Aardvark - Machinist help please sir?

Post by Jizaboz »

So, I will spare you all the details because something tells me you know the answer to this just by glancing at the pictures and a brief background.

I have a blank, ROUND STAINLESS STEEL ROD 3/32 (2.38mm)

I need to cut threads on each ends for bolts.

I have a 4/40 13/16" OD HSS Round Adjustable Die.

(I also have cutting oil and access to a vice of course)

My problem is.. I have bought 2 tools for that round die trying to match things up best I can on the internet and NEITHER of them fit. One of them only had 2 screws (the die has 3) so that should have been obvious but I can't seem to find any smaller tool! Do you know..

What hand tool do I need for this die? Do I need an adapter instead or something? I'm new here!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Re: ATTN Aardvark - Machinist help please sir?

Post by AArdvark »

That die wrench looks a little big, heh. see on the side of the wrench where it says 38mm? That's about 1-1/2 inches. If the die is 13/16 then you will need a 13/16 wrench. Alternatively you could probably go to Lowes or Homeless Despot and physically match it up. To my knowledge they don't make adaptors, just different size wrenches. The die will have two dimples cut in the outside edge, this is where the holding screws fit to secure it in the wrench, probably one on each side.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Jizaboz wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:35 pm I have a blank, ROUND STAINLESS STEEL ROD 3/32 (2.38mm)
In before Paul.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:08 am That die wrench looks a little big, heh. see on the side of the wrench where it says 38mm? That's about 1-1/2 inches. If the die is 13/16 then you will need a 13/16 wrench. Alternatively you could probably go to Lowes or Homeless Despot and physically match it up. To my knowledge they don't make adaptors, just different size wrenches. The die will have two dimples cut in the outside edge, this is where the holding screws fit to secure it in the wrench, probably one on each side.
Finally some clarity! Ok, I see some of that type on the Internet. Doubtful I can fine one at my local Lowes but I will check before ordering. Thanks!
Flack wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:35 am
Jizaboz wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:35 pm I have a blank, ROUND STAINLESS STEEL ROD 3/32 (2.38mm)
In before Paul.
heh-heh
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

ordered!

I'll take the other 2 tools I will never use now and probably ever again to a local pawn shop when I drop in to look around sometime (too heavy and not enough $ to bother with Ebay)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Done! Top is not bent as straight as the original but it doesn't seem to matter. Everything is bolted together snug in the transformer now.

Thanks again for your advice again Aardvark. The cutting of the thread was actually the easiest part and kind of fun.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Cool! Glad you were able to repair it easily.

If nobody is going to ever see it don't worry about aesthetics, that's my motto. I know people that do repair stuff / mods that look like works of art and then are put inside housings that nobody will ever see.

THE
UNART
AARDVARK

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:36 pm Cool! Glad you were able to repair it easily.

If nobody is going to ever see it don't worry about aesthetics, that's my motto. I know people that do repair stuff / mods that look like works of art and then are put inside housings that nobody will ever see.

THE
UNART
AARDVARK
Right! This will never be seen unless someone looked into the back of the machine. And even then hell.. I’d stand by it despite the aesthetics. I saw where one dude had perfectly replicated but he mentioned he had to use a pipe-bending tool to get the angles right.

The old rod broke down the side.. not the top so doubt the top needs to be completely flush anyway. It’s just there to hold the plastic casing together in the event of it overheating and starting to swell. If it swells too much, the inner core will separate. When that happens it makes a bad noise then eventually catches fire! Man I love this hobby lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻