MiSTer FPGA Notes

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

MiSTer FPGA Notes

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I'm letting go that the guys developing MAME don't make their code backwards compatible with the ROM dumps, they've been doing that for 20 years, it's never going to change. It would be great if, when a game didn't load due to a missing ROM file, it gave some information as to when the ROMs were last changed. But it's never going to happen.

Here is something that helped me get a lot of the arcade cores running:
"Finally realized to run MiSTer executable in shell to see what it was actually doing and discovered it was finding and trying to use old unrelated /media/fat/mame folder instead of /media/fat/_Arcade/mame."
The scripts are actually pretty great, I plan on keeping the MiSTer hooked up to a network cable at all times. I just have to get the right versions of ROM out there for a few games like Spy Hunter and Tron.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: MiSTer FPGA Notes

The Spy Hunter arcade core has no music. :(

Flack

Post by Flack »

Is that a setting or something? This guy's does.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Hmm. In order to really "get into it", I burned 95% of my face like the Spy Hunter secret agent did in the official art. Let me make sure I didn't do some damage to the inner ear.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Weird, the sounds (including the theme) DOES work when I go to the DIP switches and try it out. And "Demo Sounds" are on. This will require more investigation and me running a guy in a light blue Volkswagen off the road to his or her untimely, tragic death.

Ice Cream Jonsey

This guy was HELPFUL in getting the ST core going.

[youtube][/youtube]

Ice Cream Jonsey

Whooo boy do I love games that have a crack screen with no obvious way to end the crack screen.

I recall this being an issue in the 80s. Not necessarily with PC games as they didn't have as nice a crack screen. (PCjr advantage?)

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:54 pm Whooo boy do I love games that have a crack screen with no obvious way to end the crack screen.
I've found different systems tend to have different norms. With the C64, it's usually the space bar. Amiga ones usually use a mouse button. Spectrum ones usually move forward when they detect tears falling into the keyboard, a typical side effect of being forced to play Spectrum games.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:53 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:54 pm Whooo boy do I love games that have a crack screen with no obvious way to end the crack screen.
I've found different systems tend to have different norms. With the C64, it's usually the space bar. Amiga ones usually use a mouse button. Spectrum ones usually move forward when they detect tears falling into the keyboard, a typical side effect of being forced to play Spectrum games.
The key for the Atari ST seems to be F12, because (on the MiSTer) that lets me select a different game.

Ha! Ha ha!

Ice Cream Jonsey

I should probably make a separate Atari ST thread. This is the most fun I have had on the PLATFORM in forever. I have Popeye 2 up! I love these home computer sequels that of arcade games that never sniffed an arcade. And don't let anyone tell you that the Atari ST isn't a beautiful machine with beautiful graphics.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I'll be checking this out soon for creating my own .ym music (apparently a popular Atari ST music format) to later stream into a Vectrex program.

https://www.julien-nevo.com/arkostracker/

I am curious though what "music tracker" programs people are still using within an Atari ST emulator..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻