TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Post by Flack »

Welcome to the Tuesday Boozeday MAME Club! The purpose of the Tuesday Boozeday MAME Club (TBMC) is to play arcade games in MAME and talk about them. Each week, one member of the club will pick a game that is easily playable in MAME, and everyone in the club will play the game, give their thoughts and reviews, and share their scores. Whomever has the highest score WITHOUT CONTINUING as of Sunday night will get to choose the following week's game. (The person choosing the game is inelligible to win that week.) I will be cross-posting each week's game both on my forum (The Gas Chamber) and Ice Cream Jonsey's forum (Jolt Country) for maximum participation.

To participate, all you need is a copy of MAME and the current week's ROM. For those who do not have a complete set of MAME ROMs, I will post a link to each week's ROM for you to download.

I also thought it might be fun if people posted a screen shot of themselves and/or their monitor with the game playing along with a beverage of your choice. Get your Tuesday Boozeday MAME on! (The drink does not have to be alcoholic in nature, and posting a picture is not mandatory. None of this is mandatory.)

If you don't have MAME for Windows, you can download MAMEUI32.zip from the TBMC Google Share. Unzip the file into a folder and you are ready to go. Click mameui32.exe to launch the GUI version of MAME. Any ROMs you obtain should REMAIN ZIPPED and be placed in the ROMs subfolder. You will also need to install a copy of 7zip. If you don't already have it, it is available in the same folder. (If anyone wants to provide links and instructions for MAME on other platforms, please let me know.)

The first time you launch a ROM in MAME, you will be prompted to type "OK". You can do this on your keyboard, or simply press "left, right" on your joystick. The default keyboard controls in MAME are the arrow keys, and joystick buttons 1-3 map to CTRL, ALT, and Space Bar. You'll also need to press "5" to insert a coin, and "1" for Player One start. You can easily remap the buttons in MAME by hitting TAB once any game is running.

In THE OFFICIAL TBMC GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER, you can find the following:

- MAMEUI32.zip (GUI version of MAME for Windows)
- 7Zip_Install.exe (the ROMs I'm sharing are zipped as .7z files. MAME will need 7zip installed)
- The current week's ROM
- a Google Docs spreadsheet with all the games and high scores

Don't get too hung up on breaking a world record, what version of MAME you're running, or what platform you're running it on. The point of the club is to play arcade games and have fun doing it!

Again:

- Each Tuesday, I will POST a new game
- PLAY the game
- SHARE your thoughts, reviews, and scores
- POST a picture of you or the game with a beverage (optional)
- Cut off for scores is Sunday at midnight (local time)
- On MONDAY, I will contact the winner and they will choose the following week's game
- On TUESDAY, we will start all over again!

I will be posting the first game tomorrow, to get the club started! If you need help getting MAME downloaded or installed prior to that, let me know.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RetroRomper

Re: TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Post by RetroRomper »

Being banned from The Gas Chamber for being myself, am I allowed to participate in this competition?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Flack

Post by Flack »

If you can follow the very simple rules as posted above, of course!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:15 am I will be cross-posting each week's game both on my forum (The Gas Chamber)
I'll bet there are some people who would kill to get in there!
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Flack wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:12 am If you can follow the very simple rules as posted above, of course!
It's more the fact that I did follow the rules on The Gas Chamber and was actually contributing (positively) at least a little bit, but was still banned.

Will I be banned from this thread unannounced?

Should I throw myself head first down the two stories of stairs in my house before that can happen?

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback »

Okay, bad start to the week, Retro.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

RetroRomper wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:19 am
Flack wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:12 am If you can follow the very simple rules as posted above, of course!
It's more the fact that I did follow the rules on The Gas Chamber and was actually contributing (positively) at least a little bit, but was still banned.

Will I be banned from this thread unannounced?

Should I throw myself head first down the two stories of stairs in my house before that can happen?
Sorry, this thread is reserved for playing MAME games and having a good time!

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

So basically Ben will be picking a new arcade game for us to play each week? Awesome, I'm in!

Flack

Post by Flack »

bryanb wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:29 am So basically Ben will be picking a new arcade game for us to play each week? Awesome, I'm in!
Flack wrote: The person choosing the game is ineligible to win that week.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

This is outstanding! It's in the right hands as the only game I would suggest would be Boon-ga Boon-ga and the only drink I would suggest would be red Kool-Aid and gin.

It's better like this!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

After taking a nap, think I'll have fun coordinating booze with whatever game the winner decides to have us play.

Does MAME cover Neo Geo these days? Big fan of SenGoku and can't wait to pull up mah pink Cowboy Duds

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

Flack wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:38 am
bryanb wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:29 am So basically Ben will be picking a new arcade game for us to play each week? Awesome, I'm in!
Flack wrote: The person choosing the game is ineligible to win that week.
Do you really think that covers all the bases? Consider this scenario:

WEEK 1: Ben gets HIGH SCORE. Ben picks NEXT GAME.
WEEK 2: Unknown gets HIGH SCORE. Doesn't know what game to pick next and asks Ben for help. Ben picks NEXT GAME.
WEEK 3: Ben gets HIGH SCORE. Ben picks NEXT GAME.
WEEK 4: RetroRomper abandons PROJECT.

Mostly I'm posting just to bump this thread. I want everyone prepared for tomorrow!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

We're doing great - all we need is for someone to start suggesting some games that MAME can't actually play and don't keep score. In completely unrelated news, what are the chances that our first game for Tuesday Boozeday is P.T.?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

bryanb wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:47 pm Do you really think that covers all the bases? Consider this scenario:
I went to bed last night with a smile on my face. My last waking thought was, "Boy, won't everyone be happy and excited to play some arcade games? It will really bring the community together, and there's no way it will lead to any drama or controversy."

So yes, suggesting I did not "cover all the bases" is really the understatement of 2020, which is saying a lot.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:14 pmIn completely unrelated news, what are the chances that our first game for Tuesday Boozeday is P.T.?
You misspelled Polybius.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

bryanb wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:47 pmDo you really think that covers all the bases? Consider this scenario:...
1. You have to post your score using a valid JC account. Since Flack will be contacting the winner through a JC pm, there is no chance that he will not know who the winner is.

2. In the event a winner cannot be decided prior to the deadline, whether due to technicalities with the game or participants failing to respond, the next game will be chosen automatically by Flack by selecting the next game that appears alphabetically in the list.

3. In the event a game is not selected, due to Flack's absence, prior to 12pm EST on Tuesday then the game will be selected automatically by what appears next alphabetically in the list.

This should cover most of the scenarios.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Too much BS you would not want to play for the "next game in the list" rule.

Aww man yeah I predict Pinback winning a lot of this based on his Asteroids and Robotron scores. If I do get a chance to choose then I will probably pick a couple of the hardest "platformer" games I play.. heh-heh
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

Billy Mays wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:41 pm
bryanb wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:47 pmDo you really think that covers all the bases? Consider this scenario:...
1. You have to post your score using a valid JC account. Since Flack will be contacting the winner through a JC pm, there is no chance that he will not know who the winner is.

2. In the event a winner cannot be decided prior to the deadline, whether due to technicalities with the game or participants failing to respond, the next game will be chosen automatically by Flack by selecting the next game that appears alphabetically in the list.

3. In the event a game is not selected, due to Flack's absence, prior to 12pm EST on Tuesday then the game will be selected automatically by what appears next alphabetically in the list.

This should cover most of the scenarios.
I just want to play Time Lord.

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Jizaboz wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:09 am Too much BS you would not want to play for the "next game in the list" rule.
You're playing to pick the game. The rules I suggested are only to cover the small contingency of what ifs in the event a winner can not be determined, fails to respond, or Flack becomes unavailable. It's a pretty solid system that covers all of the bases and also minimizes the burden on Flack.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Hopefully the booze part goes smoother than the gaming part.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.