TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: TUESDAY BOOZEDAY MAME CLUB!

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Could I make that a Jolt Country article, Flack?

There were two Shinobis for sale recently. I am kicking myself for not getting one. What a great game. I may have said this elsewhere, but my 5 year old nephew visited a few months ago and asked if I had any ninja games. We played this one together.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:05 am I may have said this elsewhere, but my 5 year old nephew visited a few months ago and asked if I had any ninja games. We played this one together.
Now because I was surprised to learn something, I'll ask you a question I didn't even know about the subject until today. Is he your fraternal nephew or your sororal nephew? Not that I care about the answer, it's the idea.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

bryanb

Post by bryanb »

While I do occasionally beat the first boss now, I haven't made much progress on the next mission. 39370 is my new high score.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Now because I was surprised to learn something, I'll ask you a question I didn't even know about the subject until today. Is he your fraternal nephew or your sororal nephew? Not that I care about the answer, it's the idea.
I don't know what any of those words mean. "Now"??

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

For practicing, you can always continue on the first boss until you get the hang of it. Trust me, it's very easy to get a 100k+ score in this game with just a little bit of practicing.

Back when I was playing this in the arcade, I was able to reach the final boss with just 1 credit. Like Flack said, it's about enemy patterns. Once you learn them, you can breeze through the game and die on the very difficult final boss :P You can't practice that final battle though, because you can't continue after you reach the last mission.

I love this game. Easily in my top 5 arcade games.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I'm in the 110-120 range. I got to the third boss (spinning chairs) three times yesterday and died with only one or two chairs left. I'll try again today -- I know I can beat that thing -- and if not I'll post one of those scores.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

195.170. Goddamit, I died just before finishing the stage (the "go" arrow is visible.) This would have meant breaking 200k.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

Flack wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:44 am I got to the third boss (spinning chairs) three times yesterday and died with only one or two chairs left.
Yeah, that's a two-stage boss fight. The first part are the spinning chairs. My strategy here is to walk close to the chairs so that all 4 columns are visible, do the magic attack, then walk back close to the electric trap, and then spam jump and attack till my finger is sore. It really seems you need to jump constantly. Attacking only the bottom row doesn't seem to work.

The second part of that fight is almost trivial. Just stand still in a spot where you're under the high-jumping fireball so it can't hit you. You then only need to dodge the low fireball, which is the jump where you throw your star. Don't even need to move. Just jump while standing still.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

243.190. Made it to the final mission. Wasn't fast enough with the screenshot and it captured the fade-out after the "game over" message :P

Flack

Post by Flack »

Maybe my hands were getting tired. I tried again this morning and was able to get through the third boss, first try. I lost my remaining two lives on the first stage of level four.

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

For an extra 30k points, try finishing a stage without throwing any stars. The first stage is the easiest to do this in. Just use only melee attacks and you get the 30k.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:26 pm
"Fraternal nephew" is your brother's son; "sororal nephew" is your sister's son. I only learned that yesterday. It's why a college society for men is a "fraternity," a college society for women is a "sorority," and a college society for men and women is an "orgy."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

...which brings us back to Shinobi, this week's MAME game.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:50 pm
Ice Cream Jonsey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:26 pm
"Fraternal nephew" is your brother's son; "sororal nephew" is your sister's son. I only learned that yesterday. It's why a college society for men is a "fraternity," a college society for women is a "sorority," and a college society for men and women is an "orgy."
Can we start at the beginning? Ok-

" ???

Flack

Post by Flack »

Congratulations to RealNC, who used his elite ninja skills to kick the holy shuriken out of everyone else and ninja magic his way to the top of the scoreboard.

RealNC 243,190
Flack 158,500
Jizaboz 46,110
BryanB 39,370
gsdgsd 37,130
Kid Ice 27,570
Aardvark 21,170
RetroRomper 1,800
TDarcos 1,300

I'll be posting this week's game later this morning.

Flack

Post by Flack »

This week's game is 1982’s Star Trek by Sega.

This game was selected by Obliterator918. Next week’s game will be chosen by Tdarcos, and that will conclude the first season of the MAME club.

DOWNLOAD: LINK
SCORE SPREADSHEET: LINK
KLOV INFO: LINK
CONTROLS: Spinner, 4 Buttons (Photon Torpedo, Phasers, Warp, Impulse)

- PLAY the game
- SHARE your thoughts, reviews, and scores
- POST a picture of you or the game with a beverage (optional)
- STOP trying to change the club
- Cut off for scores is Sunday at Midnight
- On MONDAY, I will contact the next club member to choose the following week's game
- On TUESDAY, we will start all over again!

NOTE: Although the arcade game used a spinner, you can use a joystick, too. You will need four buttons to cover all the game's controls. I have not played this game yet but I'm looking forward to giving it a try this week.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I can run this MAME ROM on the Vectrex! (Actually with this one I launch MAME on a computer and use a serial connection from my computer to Vectrex to interface the controls and video) It is pretty damn hard; with or without a "spinner" .

Been a while since I played though so I do not recall what kind of scores I got.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Hum. Haven't played this since Putt-Putt.

I liked sitting in the captain chair and pretending I was in a starship, for as long as my fifty cents lasted. Let me see what I can use for a spinner....

THE
GOT AN IDEA
AARDVARK

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Spinner idea ia a no-go. Anyone else have problems with the sound?

THE
STUTTERING SPOCK
AARDVARK