Hot Sauce Tasting!

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Hot Sauce Tasting!

Post by pinback »

ON THE LEFT: ADOBOLOCO HAWAIIAN CHILI PEPPER WATER

I thought I knew everything about Hawaiian food, but apparently I missed the most important thing of all, which is that Hawaii has its own strain of chiles, and they are used in a local condiment called "chili pepper water". An odd name, since no water is involved, but it is a very thin, vinegary sauce, so you can see how the name might have come about. Hawaiian chiles are apparently a very close cousin to tabasco chiles, and thus it's not surprising that the sauce most closely resembles the product of the kings on Avery Island. I would say this sauce has a tiny bit more body/texture than Tabasco, and a more pronounced vinegar bite from the apple cider vinegar, and the addition of garlic adds yet another layer to it. But it's a simple, four-ingredient sauce, and would work perfectly anywhere Tabasco would be a normal choice. And in this author's opinion, everywhere else. Adoboloco has a number of products, most if not all of which have the same ingredients (apple cider vinegar, salt, garlic) but with a different variety of chile used. This one uses only the Hawaiian chile, and thus is probably the most "authentic", but I've had a few of the other products, and they're all fantastic. FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS.

ON THE RIGHT: DOUBLE COMFORT JUKE JOINT GREEN PEPPER SAUCE

We went to a brewery in Cincinnati on Thursday called "Brewdog", and after we'd already finished everything and paid, I noticed that each of the tables had (hidden, from where I was sitting, otherwise I would have gone nuts with 'em) three different bottles of hot sauce from the "Double Comfort" brand, which I'd never heard of. I was pissed! They were hiding behind the napkins and forks! Grr! I didn't want to leave without trying at least one of them, so on the way out, I grabbed the most interesting looking one (this one), poured a few dabs on my hand and licked me a little sample. Whoa! It was phenomenal! The next day when I was at the local hot sauce place, I found it, and had to get a bottle to make sure I still agreed with myself. I DID! A rich, herbal green sauce, bursting with jalapeno goodness, it is about as perfect a green sauce as I can imagine, and what I originally wanted my own SpicyKat sauce to be like. I am very, very glad I noticed those bottles at Brewdog, even though it was too late to enjoy all of them with my meal. I will definitely be trying the others soon, but until then, the green sauce is most definitely FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS.

IN THE MIDDLE: BEN'S FAMOUS FRENCH OMELET

Have you ever seen a more perfectly constructed omelet? God DAMN am I good at that. FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS.

FINAL SCORE: FIFTEEN OUT OF FIFTEEN STARS
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Hot Sauce Tasting!

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

How can a person like myself make good omelets and scrambled eggs? A person with my capabilities?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

low heat and patience. This is all the way to the "soft and small curd", once you understand that it's just changing the heat and the amount of stirring to control the texture:

pinback

Post by pinback »

The Happiness Engine wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:35 pm low heat and patience. This is all the way to the "soft and small curd", once you understand that it's just changing the heat and the amount of stirring to control the texture:

Alright, hold on. First, I love Gordon Ramsey, although he is responsible for both the best and the worst cooking shows ever created. And yes, you can do this ridiculous method, but I mean, we're busy people, and are not going to spend 30 minutes making fucking scrambled eggs.

The original question was, how to make scrambled eggs, AND how to make Ben's Famous French Omelet.

For scrambled eggs, I don't get fancy. Maybe a splash of milk, but the key is to keep the heat relatively low, and scramble 'em. Put some butter in a pan, put the eggs in the pan, and stir (or "scramble") them until they're done to your liking. Shouldn't take but a minute or two. Let's not overcomplicate the simplest breakfast ever.

For the omelet, I have a very specific method I follow, which I would like to video at some point. Essentially, it's almost the same as scrambled eggs, a lot of stirring on med-low, but right when everything starts to set up, you stop stirring, and add your fillings. Then the rest of the egg sets, your fillings warm up, and then you just roll 'er up and off you go.

My contribution to Omelet Nation is that I use chopsticks to do the stirring. I think they are the perfect egg stirring/scrambling utensil. They don't scrape the pan, and they make the curds as small as possible, so you get the beautifully smooth, silky texture pictured above.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Is this thread for Pinback's hot sauce tasting or everyone's hot sauce tasting? Because I have recently tasted some hot sauce.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Post by pinback »

I would enjoy hearing about everyone's hot sauce tastings

Flack

Post by Flack »

Great!

My wife recently had dinner at an open-fire restaurant named Cherry in Washington D.C. and picked up this bottle of hot sauce there for me. The label says it's barrel aged, with roasted pineapple and habaneros. It also comes in a bottle with a dropper lid. For my first sample, I dropped a couple of drops on my tongue and waited. I only got pineapple until I swallowed. From there, the heat took over. I don't know how many scolevilles this is or anything, but... it's hot. 15 minutes later, I could still feel where the drops had landed.

The sauce was better on eggs. A few more drops added plenty of heat to the dish, and gave the pineapple a bit more time to shine.

I am loving this hot sauce, but I checked the restaurant's website and they do not sell the sauce online, so I guess the only way to get it is to go to Washington D.C. It is currently my favorite hot sauce and I know the bottle will not last long. That tear's not from the heat, boys.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Here's another purchase I recently made.

I went with my wife to Walmart the other day and ran across these. I was having a tough time deciding which one to get but they were like $5 each and my wife is a roller man so we bought them all. I felt like Leo at the front of Titanic, I just climbed into the cart and held the bottles up and started yelling I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD! Okay, none of that happened, but I did buy all three of these. So far I have only tried the jalapeno one, but as I smash through these like a big ass iceberg I will give updates.

pinback

Post by pinback »

I've seen those as well but have not yet pulled the trigger. Maybe I should pull it now. And the trigger too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I think they're better cold, so after using them, don't forget to put them back in.

(The refrigerator, not Paul's girlfriend.)

The Happiness Engine

pinback wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:44 pm Alright, hold on. First, I love Gordon Ramsey, although he is responsible for both the best and the worst cooking shows ever created. And yes, you can do this ridiculous method, but I mean, we're busy people, and are not going to spend 30 minutes making fucking scrambled eggs.
The point to making this fucking ridiculous thing is NOT to make the "best" eggs. It's not even to make good eggs. It's to make the silkiest, wettest, most custard of eggs so you understand that absolute corner of the Curd / Cooking Temp square. The opposite corner is your typical too-hot not-stirred rubbery shit anyone can crank off in 30 seconds. Depending on what I'm trying to do I'll pull the pan off the heat while stirring or not to control how fast it is cooking. Still only take a minute or 2, but you can dial in eggs exactly how someone wants them.

We are going to elide the rest of your post for brevity, but I concur with your statements.

The Happiness Engine

...AND the part I just forgot to make it on topic was Hot Sauce! [no editz plz]

I picked up a bottle of Hellgate Farm's Classic Hot Sauce on a whim. It is on par with a Tabasco-style, but has a good dose of sweetness and garlic and is almost as chunky as a salsa. Love it lots.

The website... leaves something to be desired.
https://www.hellgatefarm.com/online-store/2-hot-sauces

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Is this the thread for pinback's eggs or can we all talk about our attempts here?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I would enjoy hearing about everyone's egg-making attempts.