Rumtopf

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Rumtopf

Post by Flack »

Last night I drank Rumtopf for the first time. It's a German and Danish treat that is made by putting fruit, sugar, and rum in a pot and letting it sit for months. It started as a way to keep fruits through the winter, but now it's just a tradition. It's also a one/two treat, because you can serve the fruits (which have been soaking in sugar and rum for months) over cake or pie or ice cream, and you can also drink the fruit-flavored rum (which is what I had). The Rumtopf we had last night had been soaking for about nine months, but you can apparently make it in as little as 4-6 weeks.

Here's a link to the Wiki article on it. There are several YouTube videos and recipes available online, and you can use almost any different kind of fruit, depending on personal taste.

In 2019, I will be making Rumtopf. Between all the fruit, sugar, and rum I think it's probably terrible for you. What a great way to go!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumtopf
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

AArdvark

Re: Rumtopf

Post by AArdvark »

Nine months! How do you keep it for that long without drinking it? I have trouble keeping the dog barrel filled and that's supposed to sit around for years.
Does Rumtopf get all syrupy? I have an image of a can of fruit cocktail ( in heavy syrup) with a double shot of Captain Morgan in it.

THE
I'D DRINK A
BIG CAN OF THAT!
AARDVARK

RealNC

Re: Rumtopf

Post by RealNC »

If you get the chance, you should try Glühwein too. Best part is that you don't need to wait nine months. It's more like 60 minutes.