What is everyone's favorite cut of steak???

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

What is JC's favorite cut of Steak????

You may select up to 5 options

View results

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

What is everyone's favorite cut of steak???

Post by Casual Observer »

To get the damn heritage turkey thread off the top here's a new topic: What is everyone's favorite cut of steak?

Most cuts of steak represent a tradeoff between tenderness and natural flavor, as well as cost per ounce. Tenderloins are super tender (hence the name) but don't taste like much, usually the dish relies on sauces, seasonings, or things to add to the bite like shiitake mushrooms. Strip steaks have tons of flavor but are pretty damn chewy no matter how you cook it. T-Bones have both strips and tenderloins but each are usually smaller than if bought independently. T-Bones have the flavor advantage of the bone juices infiltrating the meat during cooking.

I love ribeye steaks. It's truly the "best of both worlds" when it comes to the flavor/tenderness continuum. It's almost as tender as a tenderloin but still contains enough fat for yummy steak flavor. Ribeyes are incredibly versatile, it literally becomes a completely different experience when you slow cook it as a prime rib.

Lately I've been thrilled that there seems to be wide availability of the best kind of Ribeye I've ever had: The Cowboy Ribeye. This is an impressive fucking piece of meat. Most of them are at least 2" thick and keep a huge rib bone for lots of yummy juicy flavor. The bone also serves a second function of being a great handle for flipping the steak on a grill without disturbing more of the seasonings attached to the surface. Personally, I like my steak "black and blue" or "Pittsburgh style" where you char the fuck out of the outside quickly, sealing in the juices and then slowly cook up to rare (or med-rare if you're a pussy). Cowboy ribeyes are the best cut I've found for this style because the thickness allows charing while still being rare and cooking the bone pushes those juices right into the meat.

pinback

Re: What is everyone's favorite cut of steak???

Post by pinback »

I'm on timeout, but real quick, once I allow myself back on the board, I am looking forward to fighting anyone who doesn't vote "ribeye".

Okay, timeout back on.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

You don't have to be on a timeout. Timeouts are dead. Timeouts don't have to be your audience.

For me the answer is also ribeye. And I am NOT a pussy. I want those two things clear and I'll either fight any man that says otherwise or attempt to persuade them over coffee and conversation, mayhaps a leaflet if I can get the inkjet going.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

There are generally two things that affect the taste of a good piece of meat. Fat, especially marbling, and texture. Good steak has good mouth feel, is easy to chew and has a reasonable amount of fat, which is best if it is spread through as marbling rather than chunks of fat.

Now, in hamburger I personally find the "greasier" burgers are often tastier. The cheap $2.99/lb 73% ground beef tends to cook better and taste better than expensive premium $4.99 85% or $5.99 95% ground beef unless you get it cooked perfect.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 am Good steak has good mouth feel.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Tdarcos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 am There are generally two things that affect the taste of a good piece of meat. Fat, especially marbling, and texture. Good steak has good mouth feel, is easy to chew and has a reasonable amount of fat, which is best if it is spread through as marbling rather than chunks of fat.
Thanks, dr. tacos, for copying and pasting something from the internet that just re-states what I just said in my own words.
Tdarcos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 am Now, in hamburger I personally find the "greasier" burgers are often tastier.
Of course you do.

Casual Observer

While I'm talking about steak, I've gotta give major props to a couple of guys who make it easy and relaxing to make a great grilled steak: Mr Cheap Walmart Thermometer and Mr. Weber 18" Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill.
Where I live I can't have a full size standing Weber because no way to roll it to safety so I've tried a couple of Weber smokey joe's. First I tried the little one, which was terrible. No handle to pick up the whole thing and way to small diameter. Then got this guy, it's almost the same diameter of the smaller standing Weber but with cute short legs for easy carrying and relaxing sitting down while grilling. Grilling is one of my purest chances to relax, just enjoy being outside with a drink and the sweet smell of burning coals, wood chips, and flesh.

Mr. Cheap Walmart Meat Thermometer:
I worked at a Bugaboo Creak Steakhouse in Rochester about the time I started grilling for myself 21 years ago so having learned this at work I have mostly used the touch method for determining meat doneness:
In The Connoisseur's Guide to Meat, Jennie Milsom describes the cheek, chin, and forehead test: wrote:An accurate way to test for doneness is to press the steak lightly with your fingertip and compare the way it feels to your cheek, chin, and forehead. A rare steak is soft and fleshy like your cheek; fleshy with some resistance, like your chin, is medium; firmer to the touch with more resistance, like your forehead, means it is well done.
Then, for larger pieces of steak and other kinds of meat I started using a simple stick thermometer to check the meat at various times until done:

Then, I had a breakthrough that made my time grilling into the zen relaxation experience it has now become. I had worried about using an oven digital thermometer in the grill because of smoke, flame or heat might hurt the silicon cord but then I remembered I only spent $8 on the thing so who gives a fuck if it melts. So I seared the fuck out of the cowboys, stuck the prong in the smaller one, horizontally right through the middle and sat back to wait. Enjoyed my Makers Mark Manhattan and listened to music with my feet propped up.

The indirect heat under the steak and extreme heat torturing the bone worked to evenly heat things up to about 92 degrees before there the heat rise decelerated. Flipped em over and popped on the cover and sat back again for another 10 min as it slowly rose to 122 where I pulled them. Let stand for 5 min and showed a perfect 128 rare (not my picture obviously).

Surprisingly, just read that my super cheap thermometer has roots in Rochester, BTW.
About Taylor wrote: Founded by George Taylor in 1851 as Taylor Instruments in Rochester New York. The company started out making instruments for the professional market, in a very small factory shop. Taylor went though many changes in the next 60 years, with changes in manufacturing plants and several different owners. Taylor today stands for high quality, high accuracy and dedication to innovating both the professional and consumer markets.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I would have gone full ribeye but we have "OR PORTERHOUSE" on the T-Bone option so I went with that. (Not that I can afford to commonly eat them. That's an expensive cut of meat!)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

Choosing T-bone/porterhouse is a cop-out, since they are made up of two cuts -- filet and strip -- which are already represented on the poll.

DEBUNKED

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am
Tdarcos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 am There are generally two things that affect the taste of a good piece of meat. Fat, especially marbling, and texture. Good steak has good mouth feel, is easy to chew and has a reasonable amount of fat, which is best if it is spread through as marbling rather than chunks of fat.
Thanks, dr. tacos, for copying and pasting something from the internet that just re-states what I just said in my own words.
1. When did you say a thing about anything I said? When did you mention marbling, reasonable fat or mouth feel?
2. I did not "cut and paste" from the Internet. I am pleased to note you think my words are so good they are taken from a great writer.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Casual Observer

Tdarcos wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:35 pm 1. When did you say a thing about anything I said? When did you mention marbling, reasonable fat or mouth feel?
I detailed what makes for the best combination of flavor and tenderness, what do you think produces the juicy fucking flavor and what does best tenderness mean? Agree, who doesn't love the mouth feel of 80% lean "beef" with extra helpings of pink slime.
Tdarcos wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:35 pm 2. I did not "cut and paste" from the Internet. I am pleased to note you think my words are so good they are taken from a great writer.
ay it's true, there's lots of great writers on the internet, that there are matey

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Skirt cut would have been my choice if the option was available, everything on your list seems kind of boring when compared to fajitas. Anytime I go to a nice steak house or the butcher I choose the Delmonico. The cut varies depending on region but it is always a large cut of steak that is nicely marbled and is either a bone in or bone out Ribeye or a thicker cut Porterhouse (which is itself a thicker cut T-Bone). I voted for the Porterhouse, but if enough people write in Skirt cut then remove one Porterhouse vote and add it to the Skirt cut tally.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Let me say it again, porterhouse/t-bone should not be on the list.

It's like asking, "what's your favorite color: red, blue, or red & blue?"

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I didn't make the list, sir.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 am Let me say it again, porterhouse/t-bone should not be on the list.

It's like asking, "what's your favorite color: red, blue, or red & blue?"
Red and blue is purple, a different color.

REBUNKED

pinback

Post by pinback »

I was hoping I didn't have to deal with the "purple" response, but okay:

Purple is two colors mixed together. A T-bone is not a strip and a filet mixed together. It is a strip, then a bone, then a filet on the other side.

If you remove the bone, you would be serving two steaks, of two different cuts.

How does that belong on a poll of which is your favorite cut?

DEBUNKED.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Are you accepting write-in responses? My favorite steak is purple.

Wait, no -- my favorite drank is purple.

My favorite cut of meat is a ribeye, because I'm an American, but I always forget and order the Outback Special because really I'm just there for the Bloomin' Onion. And, if you want to get super technical, really I'm just there for the Bloomin' Onion sauce.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I just throw the strip and the filet in the pan and ground em up lol into burger lol
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 am I was hoping I didn't have to deal with the "purple" response, but okay:

Purple is two colors mixed together. A T-bone is not a strip and a filet mixed together. It is a strip, then a bone, then a filet on the other side.

If you remove the bone, you would be serving two steaks, of two different cuts.

How does that belong on a poll of which is your favorite cut?

DEBUNKED.
Which is your favorite food, macaroni, cheese, or macaroni and cheese?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Instead of repeating cuts on a list of five options, other choices might have been better. Flatiron. Skirt, as whatshisname said. Flank. Whatever.

T-bone is not a cut of steak.