Foods You Hated And Now Love

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

Foods You Hated And Now Love

Post by pinback »

Are there any foods (from a broad genre, to a specific dish from a specific restaurant) that when you first had, you disliked/hated, and now consider it a favorite?

Is that... Does that ever happen?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

CO

Post by CO »

oysters

pinback

Post by pinback »

That's an OUTSTANDING answer. Outstanding. I think that might even be on my list, now that I think of it.

That might have been such a good answer it breaks the whole thread.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Shrimp. When I was a kid, the idea of pulling their legs off and peeling them grossed me out. Then, for 20 years, I was told I was allergic to it. Turns out, I just got some bad shrimp once and had food poisoning, not an allergy. Now, I love it.

A close second would be carrots, although I'm not sure anyone "loves" carrots. But I used to hate them and now I think they're okay.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Used to hate lentils. They were my "go-to" hate food!

Then an Indian place opened near where I used to work. And they put lentils in the curry. They were amazing. I don't get a chance to go there any more, but I yearn, Pinback. I yearn.

Oysters were always good. Who doesn't like oysters at any point in their life? I think you guys are in cahoots and trying to make fools out of the rest of us.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Women.

Well, when I was about 12 I hated girls. By the time I got older I really liked them. And I found I loved eating them.

And no, not in the Hannibal Lecter sense!
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

I have banned Paul from this thread. Sorry everyone. Go on!

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

You realise we cant ever erase that image from our minds, right?

THE
ALCOHOL SCRUB
AARDVARK

Flack

Post by Flack »

Well, you know what they say the hardest thing about eating a vegetable is...

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack wrote:Well, you know what they say the hardest thing about eating a vegetable is...
I had to look this up.

Heheheh.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

That was good!

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

AArdvark wrote:You realise we cant ever erase that image from our minds, right?
Like many a computer, I'm ready to throw myself down the stairs after reading that.

ChainGangGuy

Post by ChainGangGuy »

Mushrooms.

Around age 6 or 7, I was offered a fried mushroom. Seemed harmless enough, though it ended up under-seasoned, cold and holding a curious amount of insipid grease. I didn't touch 'em again until my early 20's when I opted for a mushroom salad. Loved those lil' guys ever since.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Fucking pizza. And lobster, but let's start with the pizza. Somewhere around 7 I suddenly could not stand pizza, the dough, the sauce, I don't know. I had to console myself by just eating wings until I was asplode. BUT THEN a few years later, pizza was fine again! It's the weirdness of being a child I guess. Flavor is hard to understand.

pinback

Post by pinback »

The Happiness Engine wrote:the dough
The CHEESE??
the sauce
The SAUCE?!?!

[youtube][/youtube]

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The Happiness Engine wrote:Fucking pizza. And lobster, but let's start with the pizza. Somewhere around 7 I suddenly could not stand pizza, the dough, the sauce, I don't know. I had to console myself by just eating wings until I was asplode. BUT THEN a few years later, pizza was fine again! It's the weirdness of being a child I guess. Flavor is hard to understand.
Same here in part. I was off pepperoni for a while as a kid. I rallied on that one, however.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Re: oysters, wait a second. Are we talking raw, cooked, or both?

CO

Post by CO »

pinback wrote:Re: oysters, wait a second. Are we talking raw, cooked, or both?
both. I wouldn't try them at all at first but then I tried em pan fried. Then I tried them baked (Rockefeller style baby!) and finally have slurped them raw. I had thought that my favorite way was lightly pan fried (roll them in flour, toss them in pan with little bit of butter, turn pan on, by time outside is crispy they're just perfect inside) but lately I'm really loving them baked with champagne, herbs, and cheese. Slurping them raw is fun and seems brave but I'm not sure it's the best way to experience the most flavor with your oysters.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I thought of another one -- pimento cheese spread. My sister used to eat bologna and pimento cheese spread sandwiches as a kid and it used to make me gag. I didn't try eating that stuff for 30 years. Then I recently tried it and it's pretty good. My sister was right and I was wrong. It was bound to happen.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Pimento cheese is kind of a weird one because it really strongly depends on who made it. Like there's a meat market near me that makes the only pimento cheese I buy.. the last time I tried a more popular brand around here I threw it in the trash. It goes really good as a "dip" on the side of a grilled steak.

My hated then loved food is definitely onions. Despised them as a kid and picked them off everything. Then I tried hibachi food for the first time when I turned 13 and I ate every one of those sweet grilled onions! Like them on everything raw or whatever now.