Review: Yeo's Extra Hot Chili Sauce

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Review: Yeo's Extra Hot Chili Sauce

Post by Flack »

When it comes to hot sauces, I have more in common with ICJ's gallbladder than Pinback's iron gullet. For most of my life I opted for packets of mild sauce at Taco Bell, and an eight ounce bottle of Tabasco would last me a decade. No more, my friends! Life is short, and heartburn is for the weak, Danial-san.

I present to you: Yeo's Extra Hot Chili Sauce

Out of all the bottles of hot sauce for sale at the Chinese Supermarket I visited this afternoon, I chose this one because it has "EXTRA HOT" in the name. Is hot sauce with "EXTRA HOT" in the name a good idea? Bu yao!

Tonight for dinner, my wife prepared her burrito casserole. She puts burritos from Walmart in a pan, smothers them in chili and cheese, and cooks the whole thing for an hour. I know putting Chinese hot sauce on Mexcan food doesn't make much sense, but last week I put Korean hot sauce on macaroni and cheese, so I'm the type of guy who's not afraid to mix plaids with stripes.

Ready to shout "Yeo!" I doused one side of my bowl with the Extra Hot Chili Sauce and dug in.

I was instantly reminded of Whataburger's spicy ketchup. Yeo's is slightly more runny than ketchup, but not much, and it's barely hotter, if at all. Once I got over my initial fear of the sauce's name, I dug in. When I was done with the first mini burrito, I doused the second one.

The most I got was a bit of heat in the rear of my throat, but nothing I would describe as "EXTRA HOT," or even slightly uncomfortable.

I paid $2.79 for my 11.8 oz bottle, which is a steal compared to Amazon ($15.99 + $5.74 for a two pack). The flavor was sweet and warm, so it might be enough to spice up a bowl of bland noodles, but if you're looking for something to set you on fire on a cold winter night, Yeo's Extra Hot Chili Sauce is probably not the condiment you're searching for.

The label states that the sauce can not only be added to stir fry, stew, and marinades, but that is can also be used as a hot dipping sauce for fries, BBQ meat, spring rolls, and hot dogs. It doesn't mention burritos, so maybe I am at fault here. The bottle also reminds consumers to check the expiration date on the top of the lid. The top of my lid reads "3523" so... huh.

Yeo can do better than this.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

To take a page from Bill Maher, New Rule:

It ain't really "extra hot" until it has a caution similar to that on pesticide packages, "Warning: Feferal law prohibits use of this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling," or "in case of accidental overdose, call poison cointrol at 800-656-1482."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Paul, that's dumb.

Yeo's Chili Sauce is a "sweet chili sauce", which generally means it usually has virtually no heat at all, and it's usually used as a dip or glaze for Asian-style food items.

So it makes sense that "extra hot" sweet chili sauce would be milder than even the mildest of hot sauces, since that's not what its primary purpose is.

That was dumb, Paul.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Tdarcos wrote:To take a page from Bill Maher, New Rule:

It ain't really "extra hot" until it has a caution similar to that on pesticide packages, "Warning: Feferal law prohibits use of this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling," or "in case of accidental overdose, call poison cointrol at 800-656-1482."
Any chance you could take a page from Mama Cass next?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

We reached the point of the thread where we tell each other to kill ourselves. I'm okay with this, it's all in fun, but I would like to note that it's usually much later in the process than this.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack

Post by Flack »

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Paul, that's dumb.

Yeo's Chili Sauce is a "sweet chili sauce", which generally means it usually has virtually no heat at all, and it's usually used as a dip or glaze for Asian-style food items.

So it makes sense that "extra hot" sweet chili sauce would be milder than even the mildest of hot sauces, since that's not what its primary purpose is.

That was dumb, Paul.
As Dean Wormer said in Animal House, "What the fuck is going on here?"

How the <s>hell</s> living fuck does a sauce labeled "extra hot" end up being milder than other hot sauces? Your explanation is complete and total bullshit.

Let's just have some "Tam O'Shanter's Kosher Pork Sausage, with fresh real Italian pork imported from the farm in Fresno."
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:Any chance you could take a page from Mama Cass next?
Did that already, had congestive heart failure two years ago.
pinback wrote:[picture of ham sandwich]
That's an urban legend. Mama Cass Elliot died of a heart attack, not from choking on a ham sandwich, and 30 seconds checking Wikipedia would have confirmed that.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote: How the <s>hell</s> living fuck does a sauce labeled "extra hot" end up being milder than other hot sauces? Your explanation is complete and total bullshit.

Let's just have some "Tam O'Shanter's Kosher Pork Sausage, with fresh real Italian pork imported from the farm in Fresno."
Sausage is an excellent example. If you bought "extra hot sausage", would you expect it to be hotter than straight hot sauce? Of course not, because it's "extra hot" relative to what you'd normally expect. With sausage, you'd normally expect zero heat.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:We reached the point of the thread where we tell each other to kill ourselves. I'm okay with this, it's all in fun, but I would like to note that it's usually much later in the process than this.
I just purchased a set of four throwing knives and a DVD that trains how to throw them with deadly accuracy. The first one and the DVD were just charged shipping, $9.95, then the other three were special for $19.95.

So once I've gotten some practice I'll carry my throwing knife and my quick open knife, designed to get around laws prohibiting switchblades. Since I don't have a firearm right now, usually I use my holster when I carry knives.

And remember, killing by knife is quick and silent. And most people don't even notice those who are handicapped. But woe to anyone who tries to hurt someone else if I'm around.

There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon. Only dangerous people. I intend to be very dangerous. You should be too. Dangerous when provoked, that is.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

Tdarcos wrote:And remember, killing by knife is quick and silent.
Unlike say, a motorized wheelchair and a man incapable of reaching another person's throat.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Another really great video idea.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Tdarcos wrote: I just purchased a set of four throwing knives and a DVD that trains how to throw them with deadly accuracy. The first one and the DVD were just charged shipping, $9.95, then the other three were special for $19.95.
"He's a womanizer.. But he's an expert at throwing knives."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

The Happiness Engine wrote:
Tdarcos wrote:And remember, killing by knife is quick and silent.
Unlike say, a motorized wheelchair and a man incapable of reaching another person's throat.
I've seen the throwing video, and you'd be surprised what you can do from a mere five feet if you know what you're doing and practice, whether all you have is a sharpened pencil, a fork, or a pair of scissors and can't get to or don't have a knife. But with a knife and practice you can do a lot of damage to an atrtacker.

They have one particular attack method which a student of his referred to as "CAYFOON" which is short for "Comes at you from out of nowhere," using an underhand reverse throw, it reminded me of the way someone would throw a bowling ball.

And you also learn to train your weak hand as well, by the first rule, get good at hitting the target, then be accurate on aiming, then try for power, because you need them in that order: you have to hit the target to do anything, then you have to hit the target in a vulnerable area to stop or disable them. Then you can worry about more power.

One suggestion was to get 1" dowel rod, cut into pieces 8" long and coat the ends with powdered chalk (the kind used for marking chalk line), and use those for practice throws, especially if you're training with a partner. This does two things: (1) it allows you to see if you hit the target, and (2) if you make a mistake and it bounces, nobody (including you) is going to get hurt from a thrown dowel (as opposed to real injury that can occur from a thrown knife that bounces off the target.)

Another point: throw knives at the target from an angle, not forward at the target. If you miss - and even professionals like the guy on the video admit the miss occasionally - the knife will bounce somewhere else instead of back at you.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

...but you're Paul, and I have legs.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

The Happiness Engine wrote:...but you're Paul, and I have legs.
Why would I have anything to do with you. Unless you're in my neighborhood and a perceived threat to me I am of no danger to you.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »