[RECIPE] Smoky Salmon and Potato Stew

Arcade Games & Cooking.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

pinback

[RECIPE] Smoky Salmon and Potato Stew

Post by pinback »

This is an extremely-slightly modified version of a recipe I found in, of all places, Martha Stewart Goddamn Living magazine, and it (once I made my extremely slight modifications) is a masterpiece. I'm writing it here just because the printed recipe has been sitting on my desk for months and it's gotta get thrown out eventually, so I'm posting it here for safekeeping, until the hard drive that this place runs on crashes and all of my recipes are lost forever.

SMOKY SALMON AND POTATO STEW

3 tbsp EVOO
1 head fennel, sliced 'n' diced, (fronds reserved for serving, if available).
1 tsp ground fennel seed (optional)
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 8 oz bottles clam juice
2 cups Yukon gold potatoes (about 1.5 pounds, I guess), cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
1.5 pounds salmon, cut into 1-1.5 inch pieces
Salt/pepper

- Heat oil over medium high, add fennel, celery, season with S/P, saute until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.

- Add garlic, paprika, and fennel seed (if using), stir and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

- Add tomatoes, stir until the liquid has thickened slightly, about another 5 minutes.

- Add clam juice and potatoes, season with S/P, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, covered, 30 minutes.

- Season fish with salt, fold into stew. Return to a simmer for five minutes, remove from heat, let stand another five minutes.

- Serve, topped with fennel fronds if desired, and some nice crusty bread for dippin'.

Top fiver.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

It seems like you've really been into fennel lately.

pinback

Post by pinback »

It's a fine vegetable.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Fennel FRONDS? I gotta know fronds now?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

The fronds are optional, although if you buy a head of fennel, it generally comes with the fronds still on, so hey, it's free.

The fennel, I guess, is optional too if you get the ground seed, but I like fennel.

(The original recipe calls for fennel, I didn't add it. I just added more, because the combo of fennel and seafood is something that PLEASES me.)