Well!

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

gsdgsd

Well!

Post by gsdgsd »

How about that finish, eh? How about that absolutely shocking end to a thrilling game full of twists and turns?

Goddammit. What a joke. To come back like that and then play like the Special Olympics football squad in OT ... intolerable.

One had to be wondering if Gruden realized, after about the third time that "Gimpy" Johnson had to try and scramble, that the Bucs' o-line is freaking atrocious? Sort of the missing link in the new drive to offensive success: when your quarterback is basically immobile, it helps to have a line that can occasionally keep the other team out of your backfield. It would've been a great time-saver if they just let the Saints' behemoths start the play already in Johnson's face.

Robb, hope you enjoyed it, so that someone, somewhere got some pleasure out of this godforsaken mess. If there's any consolation for me, it's that the previously-laughed at NFC South looks to be wildly entertaining. With the hefty hate the Bucs and Saints seem to already have for each other, and the Falcons getting into what sounds like (I was asleep) an entertaining shootout up in Green Bay, it should be a fun year. Kind of makes me wish I'd shelled out for Falcs season tickets.

Still: goddammit.

Greg

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

What a week. I went for the NFL Ticket and got to see bits and pieces of the other games... just unreal. You have to love how the NFL kicked things off, though. There was more kick-ass moments in just about every game except the Panthers-Ravens one than in all the baseball games that were played this year. A hard cap, a real draft, 32 owners who all want to win... man. What a league. The NFL is by far the most entertaining sport in the history of humankind. I only wish I had taped some of the games, like that Atlanta-GB one, or the Chiefs-Browns one. (I still haven't seen the end of that one -- I guess a Browns player chucked off his helmet or something as time expired, so the Chiefs got 15 yards and a field goal try? Still not sure.)

I had low expectations for the Saints this season. They are still pretty low, but it was nice to see that Jim Haslett really did get rid of the whiners and losers who just laid down for the last four games of the season last year. I don't think there was a better way to depict an intangible like "momentum" than in the NO-TB game. I thought for sure when you guys got the overtime kickoff that it was over, due to the fact that the next score would win it. Alstott has officially turned into a Saints killer, and I suspect that before he hangs it up he will rival Jerry Rice and Joe Montana for the premiere Saints killer in our history.

I really thought this was going to be a slaughter, what with TB dropping 45 on us last year and the Saints no longer having Joe Johnson and La'Roi Glover. The fact that the NFL is just so freaking unpredictable makes it so great. Your offense definitely seemed to turn it on at the end there, so maybe running some more up-tempo stuff'll be a wrinkle that Gruden adds to the team.

Who do you guys have next?
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

We've got Baltimore next. Thank God -- there's a reasonable chance to lay some hurting on them.

There were definitely some causes for excitement in that game ... the Pittman/Alstott tandem was pretty solid, and should be even more so once Pittman's fully healthy. The passing game, while unspectacular, was pretty good (WHEN JOHNSON GOT TIME), and I can't remember the last time TB had three reliable receivers.

But, there's a lot of holes, and the Saints exploited them pretty well. Not a good offensive line. No blocking back to speak of -- the running game was at its best a few years back when they had Patrick Hape there, and it hasn't been the same since he left. And the defense looked weak at times ... worrisome after years of being the Buc bedrock.

But hey! It's football season again, and I can't be too unhappy. Not much better than a day watching football. Well, it could have been: I had to work last night, and thus couldn't have beer. Still, though. Glad to have the pigskin back.

Greg

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

One thing I noticed on TB's offense was that there either wasn't a running back in to pass block, or, if there was one, he didn't do a very good job. OK, I didn't notice it well (thus my either/or statement above) but I'm thinking that the label that Alstott gets about being a crappy blocker is more true than not. It may be worth grabbing a block-only fullback with a 5th rounder next year if you don't already have a guy like that on your team. The blitzing seemed to work well for the Saints.

It's pretty funny to see the Ravens only manage to put up 7 on the frigging Panthers, but hey -- I can only wish that my team won a ring. I've done 4-12 seasons like the Ravens are headed for standing on my head; it'd be nice to do one with the knowledge that it's happening because the team went all-out for a championship and not because they went all-out at sucking fast and sucking hard.

While I still say TB takes the division, there is now no real excuse if New Orleans doesn't at least push for a wild card berth, I think. My expectations were really low coming into this season, but I think now -- and hopefully this isn't just week one talking -- they may have been too low. We'll see, though Our best starting CB broke his frigging hand, and I don't recall any time that the Saints have ever beat the Packers.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Dark Sundays

Post by Dark Sundays »

Watch the ball go back and forth
Watch the ball go up and down
Watch the ball bounce to and fro
Watch the men run round and round

Watch the one team score and score
Watch the winners run around
Watch your life become a bore
Watch your spirit start to drown

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

Our blocking back is ... Jameel Cook, I think? In any case, he wasn't seen much -- when the Bucs went with a two-back set, it was usually Alstott/Pittman. And, as you stated, Alstott is a lousy blocker.

i was pretty happy with his performance, though. Surprised he didn't get more yards, but when he needed 'em, he generally got 'em. Plus, he was pretty solid receiving out of the backfield. No fumbles. A nice change from last year, when I usually just mumbled "Murf Att" when anyone asked who my favorite Buc was.

G