Reivew: Beastie Boys Book (2018)

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack

Reivew: Beastie Boys Book (2018)

Post by Flack »

I wrote a review of the Beastie Boys Book that came out this week and posted it here:

https://www.robohara.com

I would love to answer any questions you have about the book, and also discuss the Beastie Boys, in this thread.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

pinback

Re: Reivew: Beastie Boys Book (2018)

Post by pinback »

How much is the creative process discussed in the book? How much of it was just fucking around and trying shit, and how much of it was inspired genius? Or was it all a mixture of both?

At any rate, a magnificent review, and I thank you for it.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

There's not much at all about the band's creative process. They did say that the band lifted their "call/response" style straight from Run-DMC. They also said that they wrote all their lyrics together and then later broke out who would say what, instead of having each of the guys write their own parts. MCA was the tech guy of the group, the guy who would mess around with knobs and stuff in the studio trying to get specific sounds.

The Dust Brothers did all the music for Paul's Boutique. For Check Your Head and Ill Communication, the Beastie Boys had everything from their instruments to their recording equipment hooked up 24/7 so that any time any of them had an idea they could immediately record it. Turns out the Beastie Boys were pretty big pot heads, and lots of good ideas disappeared if nobody captured them quickly.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

RealNC

Post by RealNC »

pinback wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:24 pmHow much of it was just fucking around and trying shit, and how much of it was inspired genius?
I suspect that these are two different descriptions of the same thing.