AArdvark

Re: Superbowl commercials

Post by AArdvark »

Gotta get on my mouse and fix that

done

pinback

Post by pinback »

The Manning/Beckham Dirty Dancing thing was obviously the best, if we're gonna do "which one was the best".
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Here's an interesting question: Given the actual interest is the Super Bowl game merely a method of selling commercial advertising or is the advertising itself a feature that attracts an audience?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I only watched the first half of the game and at no time, during the show or commercials, was the sound turned on. Half of the commercials failed to show me any product or service to buy. I was able to interpret some of the commercials into weird and scary scenarios that made them much funnier.

I believe it's a marriage of commercials/big spectacle that attracts the people that aren't fans of the teams.

Didn't there used to be a commercials only channel? Back when cable TV was young?

THE
CLEO VISION
AARDVARK

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

I refused to watch another bowl with Tom Brady. I was much more interested in today's Falcon Heavy Launch which was awesome.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:56 pm Didn't there used to be a commercials only channel? Back when cable TV was young?
I don't think so. There were occasional specials that looked back on very special commercials, and for a while Nick-At-Night was showing extra "retro" commercials until the actors unions started complaining.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Casual Observer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm I refused to watch another bowl with Tom Brady. I was much more interested in today's Falcon Heavy Launch which was awesome.
It is inconceivable to me that anyone who enjoys football wouldn't consider that game one of the most entertaining they've ever seen.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Flack

Post by Flack »

The game was pretty exciting, although reviewing every single catch against rules so murky that even the broadcasters can't seem to guess what the referees will rule has got to get solved. That touchdown catch where the commentators couldn't decide if the receiver was a runner or a pass receiver and whether or not he was falling to the ground on his own or had been tripped and on and on and on... ridiculous. The ball broke the plane while it was in his hands -- touchdown, move on. I'm tired of super slo-mo footage of every catch to determine the nanosecond in which a receiver had control of the ball. Bollocks!

To answer Paul's question, sure, lots of people tune in just for the commercials. It's a "thing." My wife and kids could give two shits about the game. I'm sure my wife doesn't even remember which two teams played, and she walks around the house saying Dilly Dilly.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

The catch rule thing is now a sad joke. How did they fuck that up? None of that language existed in the 70s and everyone did just fine. Can we... can we just, as Americans, admit that maybe we're good at knowing what a catch is? That we all "just know"? Because we all know what a catch is. We've all --

/takes a look at the number of people here proudly proclaiming they didn't watch

-- Most of us have thrown and caught football. WE KNOW. Everything that was remotely "close" was a catch last night. The Dez Bryant thing? Catch. The Calvin Johnson thing? Catch. Catch it, get two feet down unless the other guy pushes you out. Catch it, break the plane. It's all catches for Christ's sake.

The official rule is several dozen words and many sentences. How about, "You're a red-blooded American male or female, you know what a catch is." Because we do.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

Well, this part is true, but made umpteen times worse by Al and Cris deciding they WEREN'T catches when they obviously were, and then throwing Ice Poseidon arms around when they were proven wrong.

(

Flack

Post by Flack »

I propose next season we eliminate the whole video review system and instead put Brian Bosworth in an oversized throne on the 50-yard line. If there's any debate as to whether something is a catch or not, they can cut to him and let him give a quick thumbs-up or thumbs-down and move on. Also we can only do this if he brings the Boz haircut back, obviously.

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

I would like the NFL to just leave all the calls up to the field refs, like baseball umpires. Sure the cameras might show something contrary to the call on the field, but so what? I suppose television has got it's hooks in the sport too deep to change things back to the 1960's now.

THE
EVERY PLAY, THREE TIMES
OVER IN SLO-MO AND YELLOW
SCREEN MARKER
AARDVARK

pinback

Post by pinback »

I don't agree with that entirely. Stuff like, how far did the ball get, was the foot out of bounds, etc. Get that stuff right, if you have the technology.

But Jonsey is correct. "What's a catch?" If he fuckin' caught it, that's a catch.

pinback

Post by pinback »

By the way, Football 17776 addresses the "what is a catch" issue in remarkably prescient ways, but of course, nobody bothered to read it even though it was the greatest work of art created in 2017.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I did end up reading it but I don't remember that part.

But we all know. Boz knows. JON BOIS KNOWS. How much could it possibly cost to employ two dudes that know football during the games and have them make the calls? We can have them not work the teams they like and dislike. And this ignored the fact that maybe a ref sneaks in there that knows, too.

They caught footballs all the time in the 1960s I SWEAR. We can fix this. We in this forum, I mean. That fat fuck Goodell cannot fix this and it won't be fixed until he leaves.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

pinback

Post by pinback »

I remember the "catch" part being more than just one sentence. But oh well...
for example, how do you know if a player has control of the ball?

I don't know. If they're holding the ball and not fumbling it, I guess?

so you just sort of eyeball it, right? you don't conduct a geometric analysis of every biological vector and the location of quadrillions of atomic particles, right? you wouldn't, because "having" something is an artificial notion. it's a judgment call. if the NFL wanted to preserve what it was, it would've backtracked to that point. the referees should've been able to call the game as they saw and felt it.

but instead, they tried to define what can't be defined without a supercomputer. they took the catch rule and tacked all kinds of conditions and notes and everything onto it. eventually the "catch" section was 50 pages long.

and you can only have so many rules until some of those rules begin to contradict each other, or stack on each other in different ways. what we believe happened is that during this game, one of the teams cited a constellation of rules from across the rulebook and used them to argue that they owned part of the field. and of course, once that became possible, the teams raced to lay claim to as much of the field as they could.

The Happiness Engine

Post by The Happiness Engine »

FUN FACT: Baseball has a room full of experts with every camera angle filming and they proactively replay clips and make calls that the on-field umpires can call up any time because One Day Mr. Baseball Guy decreed that the damn game was long enough and challenges would be resolved in under 90 seconds.

I interviewed with MLBAM, saw the big room, it was really cool. Like basically 20 umpires and 50 screens just checking every angle on the off chance a coach throws a fit. Down the hall they had the room WWE cut Internet promos in because they were handling all the WWE channel and HBOgo. They just got bought by Disney, but I hope they got to keep them sweet MLB pensions.

Flack

Post by Flack »

March 27, 2018:

Team owners unanimously approved the new language Tuesday, with basically three elements defining a catch:

–having control of the ball;
–getting two feet down or another body part;
–making a football move, such as taking a third step or extending the ball.

“We wanted to simplify and provide clarity,” Pittsburgh coach and longtime competition committee member Mike Tomlin said. “It was time to do so after we got caught up in language that didn’t do that. The language was obscure and confusing.”

Source: https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/sto ... ule-032718