Purely computer-generated metal

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

Re: Purely computer-generated metal

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:45 am If you look at that link in my last post you'll see a few pictures of this tower with the colored, lit top. The shape on top is a bitch. I've always had a hard time getting it to both be shaped correctly and have it meet the cylinder base correctly. I'll try to get you some more pics soon. I'll need this to be in 3d. I think I can probably texture it myself if I can remember how to UV wrap.
I think this is what you're talking about:

Is this supposed to be six sided or eight? Looks like eight but I'm not sure. What dimensions, how wide are any of the windowed segments or what is the diameter? How tall is the base and how tall is the semi-bubble at the top?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Flack

Post by Flack »

That's a picture of the tower from the Broken Bow (just outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma) Photon center. I know because (a) that location was only open to the public for a single weekend, (b) I was there, and (c) I was standing next to the guy when he took that picture.

I'm 6' even, so in this picture you might be able to figure out rough measurements, if you don't have them.

The original/early towers had 12 sides on the top of the tower. The new towers only had 8 sides -- I'm guessing to make manufacturing them simpler. The 12-sided one is probably more accurate, but building either one is a pain in the butt.

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

How does this look? And how does $20 sound? Or do you want something slightly different?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Hey that's looking good! What format are you working in?

If you can get me an .obj file of this tower and everything is lined up correctly, then yeah 20$ is totally fair! At that point I can do anything else I need to it (texturing, bump-mapping, etc) before finally exporting it to the format the game needs (.ase or .lwo). I will be using one red tower and one green tower in the game.

Also, those dimensions look good to me. I can actually slightly scale the model in the game engine after import if need be. Thanks Flack for helping to clear up the proper sizing.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Tdarcos wrote: It depends. What are you looking for and is it worth anything for my time? The more interesting it sounds, or the less uninteresting work it represents, the more likely I'd be to do it for free. 2D or 3D, size, what is involved, etc.
Sheesh, this is fucking sad. Someone with nothing but free time wants to nickel and dime his online friends cause he's too afraid to try to get some real gigs. Can we put our heads together to help the Dr get some situations? Someone can help him get an upwork account, teach him how to respond to job ads from people that don't care he's morbidly obese and may not last much past the project.

Flack

Post by Flack »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:58 pmAlso, those dimensions look good to me. I can actually slightly scale the model in the game engine after import if need be. Thanks Flack for helping to clear up the proper sizing.
Only thing I would say is that the top part of the tower might need to be a little taller. It looks a little smooshed. Maybe 4, 4 1/2 feet tall?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:58 pm Hey that's looking good! What format are you working in?
Trimble Sketchup 2017 (free version).
Jizaboz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:58 pmIf you can get me an .obj file of this tower and everything is lined up correctly, then yeah 20$ is totally fair! At that point I can do anything else I need to it (texturing, bump-mapping, etc) before finally exporting it to the format the game needs (.ase or .lwo). I will be using one red tower and one green tower in the game.
I'll add a second one in green; copying the tower is simple. Do you want the windows to stay yellow or change their color?
As for .obj I'll see what I can do. The free version of Sketchup - by no means do I have $400+ for the Pro version - supports Collada export which is .dae but I can see if there's something (online or free) to convert dae to obj. Check to see if your game engine supports Collada which is an open-source standard. Pinhead's Roller Coater Designer did.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Casual Observer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:33 pm
Tdarcos wrote: It depends. What are you looking for and is it worth anything for my time? The more interesting it sounds, or the less uninteresting work it represents, the more likely I'd be to do it for free. 2D or 3D, size, what is involved, etc.
Sheesh, this is fucking sad. Someone with nothing but free time wants to nickel and dime his online friends cause he's too afraid to try to get some real gigs.
I don't remember asking you for a goddam thing and I certainly didn't ask you to decide what my time is worth to someone else and it is none of your business. I was asked if I could do it and he said he was willing to pay for it. I am not afraid to try and work for a living except that any place I could work enough to make a living - which means in person, say as an employee - won't hire disabled people and the ones for on-line gigs pay so little you're practically losing money.
Can we put our heads together to help the Dr get some situations? Someone can help him get an upwork account, teach him how to respond to job ads from people that don't care he's morbidly obese and may not last much past the project.
I've done those. Unless you're doing something esoteric - I had one job where they needed to do some corrections to a Fortran program - you're bidding against groups from Third-world countries and Russia where they can afford to do a job priced at a dollar or buck-and-a-half an hour.

I'm not expecting much but minimum wage in this county is $10.25. If I can't even price my time at least that of a guy dispensing hot dogs at a 7-11 then it's not worth the effort. I don't need to do this and if the world thinks my labor is worthless, then fine, they don't need my labor and can do without me.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

By the way, I just went over to upwork. I already have an account there; Firefox remembered my login. It looks like it's a site to hire people, not to look for work. It apparently has no work available, it only has a way to post jobs and does not appear to have any available, at least what I saw from a cursory examination. Freelancer.com - what used to be RentACoder - does have both job offerings and means to hire people.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Here's an update. If you like this shade of green rather than a darker one I'd change the window colors. But it's your choice,
or this

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

OK cool!

1. .DAE is a new format to me, but I see that I can import it into Blender https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blen ... import.php From there, I can basically do anything else I need with it!

2. Like Flack pointed out.. something looked slightly off to me at first but couldn't nail it down. Yes, please make the upper part just a tad taller. Basically scale the colored "walls" in the top up towards the sky another foot if you can.

3. I like the darker green. Though color shouldn't be too important as I THINK I'll be retexturing it and adding different layers like a "bump map". The existing colors will basically serve as a template.

If it's not too much trouble, could you take a picture near the floor level of your 3d view upwards to show where the cylinder base meets the upper section? That part always looked completely jacked up every time I attempted this heh-heh.

And finally, let me know how you want to get paid.. PayPal or whatever.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Also, sorry for taking your thread off-topic RealNc. We'll give it back soon.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pinback

Post by pinback »

Billy Mays will be banned if he reports one more godforsaken post on this pile of shit BBS.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

"ACP > Permissions > Forum roles > click little green edit button by role you want to edit > Actions tab > Can report posts > No"

Casual Observer
Location: Everett, WA, 2 blocks from where the Green River Killer picked them up

Post by Casual Observer »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 am By the way, I just went over to upwork. I already have an account there; Firefox remembered my login. It looks like it's a site to hire people, not to look for work. It apparently has no work available, it only has a way to post jobs and does not appear to have any available, at least what I saw from a cursory examination. Freelancer.com - what used to be RentACoder - does have both job offerings and means to hire people.
User Error: it has two modes, hire or get hired.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Two views of revised image:

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

Looks great! Flack, does it meet your approval? You are the resident Photon expert.

Tdarcos how do you want me to pay you, man?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Flack

Post by Flack »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 am Looks great! Flack, does it meet your approval? You are the resident Photon expert.
I would file it under "close enough for government work."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Jizaboz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 am Looks great! Flack, does it meet your approval? You are the resident Photon expert.

Tdarcos how do you want me to pay you, man?
Download it from http://paul-robinson.us/octal_tower.dae and make sure it's right or let me know what is wrong. You can then use Paypal to pay paul@paul-robinson.us .

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Oh, right-click the download link and select "save link as" otherwise it will simply display the XML schema.