Am I terrible for enjoying Brandy?

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

rertror

Am I terrible for enjoying Brandy?

Post by rertror »

The song, not the drink!

Incredibly sappy, sort of anti-feminist song that I love (and falls into the usual "here's a hook and a repeat chorus" of pop songs.) So do I have no taste for enjoying it or what?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Let's get real here. The eponymous character Brandy is a barmaid in a seafaring town. Today's shipping is done with semi-automated loading and unloading equipment of 20- and 40-foot containers of a Panamax class freighter (or was until the Panama Canal opened a new set of locks in 2016 to allow even bigger ships) where I presume the crew is 4-6 people, mostly running a computer-controlled, GPS navigated monster freighter, and inspecting the cargo for shift or damage. The type of job that can easily be done by women or men. Requires brains, possibly advanced education more than strength.

The lyrics of Brandy reference the time of sailing ships, with actual sails, where hard men did hard work, and when those hard men got into port after months at sea they looked for soft women. So it might be sexist.
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

Can there be a cover version with "Semi-autonomous Panamax freighter" lyrics?

Brandy, you're a fine girl.
What a good Panamax semi-automated loader you'd be.

And by the way, who knows these things!
And why spew them out at the drop of a hat?

THE
SQUARE ROOT
OF 18 IS NOT 5
AARDVARK

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Looking Glass is shit, the song is terrible.

AArdvark wrote:And by the way, who knows these things!

Certainly not Tdarcos.

For example: Elliot Lurie's inspiration for writing the song Brandy was his high school sweetheart who was named Randy. He changed it from Randy to Brandy because he liked the way it sounded better. Everything in the song is symbolic of that time in his life, it has nothing to do with sea travel or maritime law.

The safe bet is that the rest of what he wrote is wrong as well.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

'Vark, that makes no sense. The guy who was her lover might have been a freight loader. She is not even considered in that sort of role.

The guy (who is never named) is saying how since she is good at serving customers she'd make a good wife (where she'd be serving meals to her husband, and possibly kids).

In no context would she be working on the docks.

If you want to consider a really sexist song from that era, consider Runt's "We Gotta Get You a Woman." The lead singer, Todd Rungren, has some whopping comments.

We gotta get you a woman,
We better get walkin', we're wastin' time talkin' now
Talkin' 'bout things about that special one

They may be stupid but they sure are fun

and

Got to get together with a woman who has been around,
One who knows better than to let you down,
Let's hope there's still one left in this whole town,
And that she'll take some time to get this thing together, 'cause
To get this thing together, 'cause
We gotta get you a woman

The first basically says women might be stupid but they do have one use. I guess like the stereotypical "dumb blond." The second points out he should look for girls with a reputation for being easy.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

AArdvark

Post by AArdvark »

You know what really doesn't make sense? posting a paragraph about modern shipping loading because a 70 soft rock song has seafaring as a background. I know some stuff about manufacturing but I don't post tensile strength coefficients when Fleetwood Mac sings about The Chain.

AH HA! I get it now...You're going insane and you're taking us all with you!

THE
HANDBASKET INDEED
AARDVARK

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote:I don't post tensile strength coefficients when Fleetwood Mac sings about The Chain.
'Vark, you don't need tensile strength measurements, everyone knows a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

THE
TELL ME LIES
OKAY "YOU MAKE LOVIN' FUN"
TDARCOS
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

AArdvark wrote: AH HA! I get it now...You're going insane and you're taking us all with you!
No, I figured I'd just let you guys take the crazy with you and then it's no longer my problem, other than like Jack Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets," who keeps telling vendors of Crazy brand products that he's all full up.

As far as taking you with me, not quite, the saying is:

A neurotic is a man who builds a castle in the air. A psychotic is the man who lives in it. A psychiatrist is the man who collects the rent.
- Jerome Lawrence

Besides, as Seal sang, "Oh we're never gonna survive, unless, we get a little... crazy."

Besides, as Choi said in The Matrix., "come on, it'll be fun."

Besides, I've just redundantly used "besides" three times to start a one-sentence paragraph.

And maybe I'm better, I stopped using "irregardless" as a synonym for "regardless."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak