Daryl Hall and John Oates, Fiddler's Green

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Daryl Hall and John Oates, Fiddler's Green

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

We caught Daryl Hall and John Oates, with special guest Tears for Fears last night. I had never seen H&O in concert before. So these two bands together? Hell yes. I felt that in an infinite universe there was probably one time traveler that came back from the future to see Tears for Fears and Hall and Oates, but didn't go back far enough and caught them with us in 2017. "Close enough," the time traveler no doubt said.

Most of the times when I go to a show, I'm there because someone else wanted to see somebody. Of my favorite bands (them, Crowded House, Queen, Yes, Acceptance) I've only also only seen Yes. I think it's because it's easy to see a show when you're not invested in the music. You don't care if some jackass is loudly babbling elsewhere or not. I can be that jackass if I choose. (I usually don't choose.)

Tears for Fears was great, by the way. They had a lot more songs than we remembered, and we did recall every song that they played. "That was them??!" was the common sentiment.

Hall and Oates were amazing, I had never been to a gig before where I knew all the songs. Daryl still has most of his vocal chops. There's some higher notes he deferred to the crowd to get for him, but shit, I saw Nate Reuss do that at a Fun. concert and he's half Daryl's age. When I'm 70 I hope I'm half as good at my profession as Daryl is at his.

They did a song that I hadn't thought about in a long time. "Is it a Star" which was a song that John Oates wrote and sang. Daryl said to the crowd before the song, "This is off our album War Babies, which came out .... in, er..... "

I turned to my wife. "1974."

"1974," added Daryl.

I knew all the words and they sang all the hits. You know, a lot of social situations play out as a complete surprise to me and sometimes it's just good in life to know what's going to happen five seconds before it does.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

Man, that's awesome. It's great that you finally got to see them -- I can't imagine they'll be touring for that many more years. All it'll take is a single "whoa here she comes, it's a hip-breaker" to put an end to things. And nobody wants to see "Axl Rose and Oates" or anything like that.

I'm also glad Hall and Oates are understand what the fans want. I've seen a lot of bands who insist on performing "our upcoming single." You play that stuff on YOUR time -- once I've paid for a ticket, now it's MY time.

I'm trying to be funny and failing but I really am glad you got to see them while they're still around.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

There was one incident I didn't want to mention in the opening post, Flack. There WAS a guy that was obnoxious at the event. Mel and I grabbed a spot near a rail so we had a place to put drinks and this other couple was to the left of us.

There was a guy that looked like Biff from Back to the Future running around, trying to initiate conversations with people. He attempted to make eye contact with me, but I have a good instinct for this sort of forwardness in public and didn't fall for it.

Not so lucky were the couple next to us.

So after he engaged them, Biff proceeded to SHOUT at them in stupid conversation topics for the next 2 songs. It would have been nicely ironic of TfF were still playing, but no. Who does this? Who goes to a show and forces people to be in insipid conversations for 10 minutes? We went to a different area, and within a couple minutes Biff apparently went on to ruin the evening for other people.

This is what I mean, if I didn't care who was playing I wouldn't have cared about chuds.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

My favorite Hall and Oates joke:

Farmer Brown, do you like Hall and Oates?
I suppose, but haulin' hay is easier.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

How large is the pool of Hall & Oates jokes from which you selected that one as your favorite?
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Flack

Post by Flack »

I'll bet there's one about haulin' ass in his repertoire. And one about getting backstage with a Hall pass. And probably one about what do you call guys from the 80s who stand between rooms and eat cereal grain.

I'm sure there are others but... no can do.
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Flack wrote:I'll bet there's one about haulin' ass in his repertoire. And one about getting backstage with a Hall pass. And probably one about what do you call guys from the 80s who stand between rooms and eat cereal grain.

I'm sure there are others but... no can do.
Yeah, it's like, "What Supreme Court case dealt with two ways to cross a river? Roe v. Wade."

I'm Sorry, I've been Alone too Long, I don't want to lose you because I didn't take a lot of time on this quip, you can probably guess that I ....
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

RetroRomper

Re: Daryl Hall and John Oates, Fiddler's Green

Post by RetroRomper »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Of my favorite bands (them, Crowded House, Queen, Yes, Acceptance) I've only also only seen Yes.
Was this after they replaced Jon Anderson?
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Ice Cream Jonsey

You have that correct. I was so-so on Yes, really thinking that their lead singer was holding them back. I stayed aware but distance for 55 years and it all paid off in 2009 when Jon left the band. After that, boom, top 5 band.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Daryl Hall and John Oates, Fiddler's Green

Man, that was really sarcastic of me. I should have been nicer to Retro.

The two or three times I have seen Yes, it was with Jon Anderson on vocals.