Acceptance - Colliding by Design

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Ice Cream Jonsey

Acceptance - Colliding by Design

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Acceptance made my favorite album (and their first) called Phantoms, in 2005. They disbanded afterwards.

2005-2016 was a rather quiet time for them, though they did trickle out some unreleased songs here and there, all of which were great.

They released a new album, their first one in over 10 years, on Friday. It's called Colliding by Design. I don't think a single one of you would be remotely interested in it because all our musical tastes are so different, but it EXISTS and seems pretty good so far. So there ya go.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:They released a new album, their first one in over 10 years,
Great artists sometimes are very slow, I think there was a big fight between Boston and their record company because they did something similar, spent a very long time - years - working on an album.

Most bands can't do this if they are in fact a professional band working for a living as a band, because the money will run out and more importantly they will be forgotten by fans.

I presume Acceptance is an indy band and music is not their occupation but a hobby?
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Not sure if it's their main gig or not, Paul. The lead singer did work for, I think, his dad's business for 10 years or something like that. Now that you mention it, I am not sure how they all paid the bills in between.

It appears that they are NOT going on a country-wide tour, which blows, because I would find a way to be there if they were in my time zone. And hemisphere. And I had the night off.

I'd take the night off for Acceptance.

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

[youtube][/youtube]

Hey! HEY! Is this thing on? Hello? Oh.. Hi!

Let me ask; am I the only person here that takes an interest in the taste of others: the world isn't just full of shit or Pinot noir, right? Or are we just insurmountable towers of preference? So hey, lets give Robb's music a chance! Just a quaint listen to while I'm slathering matzoball soup all over myself.

RETROROMPER CLASSICS PRESENTS
A review of Colliding by Design

Snare Drum or a Kick Pedal - FULL STOP. My normal speakers are going to muddy up the bass, discard the subtle punch and smash of the percussion and this whole point is to hear it right. Its a quick switch to my mid-fi headphones (Oppo PM3s powered by an O2 modded with a booster board, then a generic DAC to round it off, thank you very much) and then... Its Hallelujah as the tinny, sharp claps turn into actual sound. Suddenly there is a smack, a soft push of a percussion instrument and the bass is suddenly alive - soft smash and punches into my ear that signal that we can finally get to the real song.

There is a euro party mix buried somewhere deep inside the rather easy listening that keeps the instruments mostly out of your head space; that is until the percussion signals for everyone in that seedy, smokey nightclub in Barcelona your girlfriend just HAD TO TRY OUT, to jump up and swish their arms in the air to the collective beat.

Here is what we have: 80s' beats, synth threaded through the eye of notes that are pulled back for the vocals to take dominance in the listeners mind. Then BOOM, right back at ya for that burst of energy that can only come from having tequila poured down your throat from behind.

Its catchy, punchy, and though a quirk or not, the album feels like one long song with intermissions - Acceptance has pretty damn stellar openings (cymbal work that leads into soft bass in the titular Colliding by Design and stringy, dare I say raspy guitar in Sunset,) that takes out its claws in a grown sort of way and is swallowed whole by this poppy, euro chant.

Is there anything wrong with that? Hey, I listened to the whole album twice (second time with gapless playback and no peeking at my phone to see what track I'm on) and enjoyed it. The difference here is if you are OKAY with this dance, 80s' (Peter Gabriel came to mind) mix stuff that is designed to be digested and barely roll around ones head before coming out the other end (through the ears.)

Its a good album for background noise (no blaring beats, uniform tonality,) but for me, critical listening needs to come from another sphere though queue this one up on your phone for that morning run!

This has been a RetroRomper Classic (TM)
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

[quote="Tdarcos"Most bands can't do this if they are in fact a professional band working for a living as a band, because the money will run out and more importantly they will be forgotten by fans.[/quote]

Completely and utterly false! There are the exceptions we could argue about (KISS, Aerosmith, etc) that play off their celebrity, but a couple of my favorite bands barely release any material and live well off the tour gravy train.

Off the top of my head, Cake (they were going to release a live album in 2005 (announced and what not) then didn't say a damn thing until they released it as a B side on vinyl ten years later,) Silent, Nuito, Apocalyptica, etc, etc.

So ya... No!
"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

pinback

Post by pinback »

Umm, Retro, I know Paul tends to get things wrong from time to time, but if there's one thing I definitely trust him on, it's the realities of trying to make a living as a touring rock band.

I mean, come on. Give the man SOME credit.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Retro, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever posted here in the history of this BBS. Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Umm, Retro, I know Paul tends to get things wrong from time to time, but if there's one thing I definitely trust him on, it's the realities of trying to make a living as a touring rock band.

I mean, come on. Give the man SOME credit.
Benjamin, dear, it's this kind of sarcastic attitude that makes people think of you as a quantity of excrement or a colon end. I thought you wanted to begin anew, not simply spew shit anew.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Ice Cream Jonsey

Do you think maybe he has a point, though? That maybe you aren't actually an expert on several hundred different subjects?

I am just asking the question -- no offense intended!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

Ice Cream Jonsey wrote:Do you think maybe he has a point, though? That maybe you aren't actually an expert on several hundred different subjects?

I am just asking the question -- no offense intended!
Oh come on. I think you cannot even close to mean that. Virtually everyone around seems to be of the opinion I have Asperger syndrome (or they think I have the more comprehensive condition, Autism), one of the things that is the defining characteristic for Asperger's is a lack of interest in many things and a near obsessive focus on a small number of topics.

However you seem to indicate I act as if I have interests in many things (which I do). This violates the requirements for Asperger's syndrome in Sec. 2399.80 of the standard Psychiatric manual of the United States, the DSM-IV (and possibly the DSM-V). It also violates the World Health Organization's psychiatric manual, the ICD 10 in sec. F84.4. As such what you have said would mean I cannot have Asperger's.

Are you willing to accept that or do you wish to revise your remarks?