Pinback Ranks Band Members Against Each Other!

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Cream

pinback

Post by pinback »

3. Eric Clapton. I am sick of everyone sucking his ass. He's an okay blues player with a terrible, annoying voice, and he holds the all-time low score at this. Fuck Eric Clapton.

2. Jack Bruce. I saw him live in Hot Tuna! I didn't know or care who he was at the time, and still barely know or care who he was, but he's a well-respected bass player, so he doesn't come in last. Also because Eric Clapton sucks. EDIT: I guess he's not the one in Hot Tuna, it's some other guy named Jack. I should count more points off for Jack Bruce's singing voice, but at least it's better than Clapton's.

1. Ginger Baker. The clear #1 here, and likely the only drummer John Bonham is on record as admiring. I hate Eric Clapton.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

gsdgsd

Post by gsdgsd »

Metallica!

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Aw man, as someone who doesn't know the first thing about Metallica, I think I'm in for an education.

I would have ranked the Monkees the same, for what it is worth.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

Flack

Post by Flack »

pinback wrote:5. Richard Wright. If you come up as "keyboard player", you're automatically at the bottom
Good point.

I pick "Genesis."
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

gsdgsd wrote:Metallica!
And please do the full lineup. (The order is chronological on this list here because I don't want pinback shitting all over my favorite members of Metallica.)

James Hetfield
Lars Ulrich
Dave Mustaine
Ron McGovney
Kirk Hammett
Cliff Burton
Jason Newsted
Robert Trujillo
Bob Rock

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

^

Bob Rock is last because he has never been an official member of the band.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

ICJ wrote:BILLY MAYS (whom we all like) and RPG CRITIC, who is out in the real world wearing shirts with the words "Goodbye to You" crossed out on the front.
Ok, I was going to let a lot of shit slide, but this is taking things too goddamn far! Even dickhead Billy Mays in his most extreme levels of shitbaggery would not sully the goddess Patty Smyth.

Also, to address your other post, I may be a lot of things, but I am not a manipulator. It would be more accurate to say that I have a tendency to sperg out on my keyboard and type in whatever tickles me at the time without thinking about any consequences just to get a rise out of people.

Also, I was serious in that I loved Flack's "Letters to Cleo" pick, I am probably going to add it to my own list in the near future.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Billy Mays wrote:
gsdgsd wrote:Metallica!
And please do the full lineup.
No.

6. Lars Ullrich: There's an old joke that goes "What do you call a guy who hangs out with a bunch of musicians? A drummer! Ha ha ha!" If you replace "drummer" with "Lars Ullrich", the joke is just as funny. No wait, funnier. The Ringo of Metal.

5. Jason Newsted: You can't even hear him on And Justice For All, and it's arguably their best album.

4. Cliff Burton: He's dead, and while you could hear him on pre-Justice albums, once he died they made a record with no bass, and as previously mentioned, it was arguably their best.

3. Rob Trujillo: You can at least hear him, and he's pretty good, but he plays bass in Metallica, which is the most pointless job in music.

2. James Hetfield: I wanted to place him first, because his rhythm guitar is my favorite thing about the band, but his singing and lyrics are actively, like right now, harming the band, to the point where I probably won't buy the new one, even though I thought Death Magnetic was a pretty damn good rock and roll album.

1. Kirk Hammett: Well, Metallica is a band about playing the guitar fast and loud, and, I mean. There he is, playing the guitar fast and loud. Whaddya want.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Flack wrote:
pinback wrote:5. Richard Wright. If you come up as "keyboard player", you're automatically at the bottom
Good point.

I pick "Genesis."
This seems like another band with 50 former members.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Megadeth

At least do the musicians you respect and the ones you like to shit on for this pick?

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:
Flack wrote:
Good point.

I pick "Genesis."
This seems like another band with 50 former members.
I didn't think Genesis had more than 4 or 5 people. Of course, #1 has to be Phil Collins.

I looked them up on Wikipedia:
Members
Tony Banks
Mike Rutherford
Phil Collins
Past members
Peter Gabriel
Anthony Phillips
Chris Stewart
John Silver
John Mayhew
Mick Barnard
Steve Hackett
Ray Wilson

The one I want to ask is either Jefferson Airplane (the original as opposed to Starship) or The Moody Blues.

I can ask about Airplane later. Tell me your opinion of the Moodies.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

pinback

Post by pinback »

This works better when it's bands I like.

4. Peter Gabriel, who is ranked last because every second he was in Genesis was a second he wasn't doing solo stuff, and his solo stuff is so wildly, tremendously better than Genesis that it was all wasted time.

3. Tony Banks, cuz keyboard player.

2. Phil Collins, who isn't first because he's such a little whiny bitch and went on to make the world's worst music, and I count points off for that.

1. The other guy.

pinback

Post by pinback »

This is tiresome now. Robb, this was a terrible idea.

ICJ

Post by ICJ »

Okay, total Hail Mary throw to try to save the thread.

Pinback, please do......... THE BEATLES!

(Alvin and the Chipmunks was extremely funny, so thanks to both of you.)

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

Just out of curiosity, with all of the fake accounts running wild on this board, was there a single fake account/different persona of mine that you guys did like?

pinback

Post by pinback »

Billy Mays wrote:Just out of curiosity, with all of the fake accounts running wild on this board, was there a single fake account/different persona of mine that you guys did like?
I liked the one that wasn't an attention-seeking, annoying cry for validation, which was none of them.
BEATLES
4. Ringo. All you need to know about how bad he was is to listen to all of the mental gymnastics Beatles fans do to try to prove that Ringo wasn't terrible. "You just don't underSTAAAAA--" Ringo sucks.

3. John. When you look through the whole discography of the band, you'll notice that most of the great classics either say "written by McCartney" or "McCartney/Lennon", and not a lot of the Lennon-only ones. I never thought he was all that, his solo work post-Beatles definitely didn't help that, and his hippie deification is annoying and unwarranted.

2. George. Got no problems with George. Played the guitar pretty well.

1. Paul. One could argue the other three could have been other guys. I certainly do. Arguably the greatest musician of the 20th century, and still not doing too goddamn bad. A genius. GENIUS.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote:
Billy Mays wrote:Just out of curiosity, with all of the fake accounts running wild on this board, was there a single fake account/different persona of mine that you guys did like?
I liked the one that wasn't an attention-seeking, annoying cry for validation, which was none of them.
So, about that Megadeth breakdown...

pinback

Post by pinback »

I am not doing Megadeth. I am not doing the Moody Fucking Blues.

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

pinback wrote:I am not doing the Moody Fucking Blues.
You could have fooled me.

Asia?