Reggae specifically Dancehall

Sports & Music

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

raecoffey

Reggae specifically Dancehall

Post by raecoffey »

I absolutely love reggae, especially dancehall. It's highly unlikely on a board of predominantly white men, to find another listener but since we have some hip-hop heads it's worth a try.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Ice Cream Jonsey

Re: Reggae specifically Dancehall

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

I too am sickened by the infestation of white devil around here.

Reggae topic! Let's go! Who's got a TAKE?

This is the laughter of a man who knows cancer can't get underneath your toenails. Let's go!!
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Well, some of my favorite dancehall artists are Lady Saw, Baby Cham, Buju Banton, Bounty Killa, Patra, Stylo G, Beenie Man etc. Some songs by them to look up are as follows: (warning, they do not rap, they chant. Also it's in patois not English, it is broken English and I can translate but you'll get used to it if you try.)

Baby Cham - Back Way
Lady Saw - Man is the least
Lasy Saw - Serious Allegations
Patra - Queen of the Pack
Beenie Man - I'm Ok
Bounty Killa - War
Style G ft Sean Paul - Dumpling
Supercat - Dem No Worry We (ft Heavy D)

Kind of a wild sampling from the dancehall world 🌎 from 1990 - 220, the span of 30 years. Yes, most of it is about sex.

Kind of a wild sampling
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

It was supposed to say:

Lady Saw - Serious Allegations
Stylo G - Dumpling
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I always liked Peter Tosh a lot more than Bob Marley.

And oh my fucking god if I hear another commercial with "3 little birds" in the background I'm going to shoot the television. MULTIPLE COMPANIES are using it!!!111!!>!?!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Jizaboz wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:52 pm I always liked Peter Tosh a lot more than Bob Marley.

And oh my fucking god if I hear another commercial with "3 little birds" in the background I'm going to shoot the television. MULTIPLE COMPANIES are using it!!!111!!>!?!
I love Peter Tosh

And yeah they are killing 3 little birds!
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

So this morning I was playing ▶️ some reggae 🎶 outside and this guy Billy was commiserating with this other old white guy about how he couldn't understand the lyrics. He's an avid classic rock fan (as am I) so I say "I can understand the lyrics, patois is just broken English, it takes awhile but you can learn it." They kept on complaining. So I turned it off and put on Skynyrds "Free bird" and said "oh I forgot, only good old fashioned white people music out here." And he says "yeah, WHITE girl!"

And I respond "who me, white??? I had no idea!"
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

raecoffey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:00 am And yeah they are killing 3 little birds
I blame the popularity of Angry Birds for all the mayhem and destruction imposed on little birds.

"Reggae (/ˈrɛɡeɪ/) is a music genre that originated in Jamaica in the late 1960s. The term also denotes the modern popular music of Jamaica and its diaspora.[1] A 1968 single by Toots and the Maytals, "Do the Reggay", was the first popular song to use the word "reggae", effectively naming the genre and introducing it to a global audience.[2][3] While sometimes used in a broad sense to refer to most types of popular Jamaican dance music, the term reggae more properly denotes a particular music style that was strongly influenced by traditional mento as well as American jazz and rhythm and blues, and evolved out of the earlier genres ska and rocksteady.[4] Reggae usually relates news, social gossip, and political commentary.[5] It is instantly recognizable from the counterpoint between the bass and drum downbeat and the offbeat rhythm section. The immediate origins of reggae were in ska and rocksteady; from the latter, reggae took over the use of the bass as a percussion instrument."
- Wikipedia

Well, whatever Wikipedia can do, it cannot explain the emotion or "feeling" of this type of music, anymore than can describing sex as "the slippery friction of mucous membranes." I have heard Bob Marley spoken about here, but I'm sure I Shot the Sheriff is probably not a good representation of all that it can express.

However, to me, if it's supposed to be music, it should be art, that is, it should express emotion. Having sexual themes in a song are okay, if it communicates, love, or lust, or passion. If it lacks expressive emotion, then it isn't art, it's just intellectual masturbation. Good art is intercourse, it communicates (look up that word some time; its literal meaning is "to communicate"). If someone sings in a patois, they can be explicitly describing a sex act, but if it is effectively unintelligible, it isn't art, it's garbage. Nobody would film a sex scene in total darkness without a light source, it would be completely useless. No one trying to communicate with others would use some private language nobody else understands, then blame the audience for not understanding them.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

I still love Aardvark's review of Eric Clapton covering a Bob Marley song:
"I shot the Shot the Sherriff". Bitch, please.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Tdarcos, wth are you even talking about?

Ovcourse not all of their music is about sex, and ofcourse the music that is about sex is interactive with the female population...

And, about them singing in Patios, they're speaking to THEIR PEOPLE, in THEIR LANGUAGE, about THEIR CULLTURE...

I don't even understand your rant. Did you even try to listen? Probably not...
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

pinback

Post by pinback »

Nobody ever knows what he's talking about. That's his "thing". It's what makes him special and unique!
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Alright, can we get back to the topic at hand, reggae music whether it be roots, concious, dancehall or basement?

I don't want to waste the day debating upon how much of an ingrate Tdarcos is...
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

That was supposed to say "bashment" not basement. Fucking autocorrect!
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

raecoffey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pm Tdarcos, wth are you even talking about?
The points you made at the start of this thread:
raecoffey wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:08 pm I absolutely love reggae, especially dancehall. It's highly unlikely on a board of predominantly white men, to find another listener but since we have some hip-hop heads it's worth a try.
You then also said:
raecoffey wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:40 pm Well, some of my favorite dancehall artists ... (warning, they do not rap, they chant. Also it's in patois not English, it is broken English and I can translate but you'll get used to it if you try.)

Baby Cham - Back Way
Beenie Man - I'm Ok
Bounty Killa - War

Yes, most of it is about sex.
Now, returning to your current comment:
raecoffey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pm Ovcourse not all of their music is about sex,
I presumed it wasn't. I was using sexuality as means of communication as a metaphor, the way the man who originally wrote the analogy did, Robert A. Heinlein in Stranger in a Strange Land.
raecoffey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pmand ofcourse the music that is about sex is interactive with the female population...

And, about them singing in Patios, they're speaking to THEIR PEOPLE, in THEIR LANGUAGE, about THEIR CULLTURE...
Well then, I don't have to understand it then, since they apparently have no interest in communicating with outsiders.
raecoffey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pm I don't even understand your rant. Did you even try to listen? Probably not...
Yes, as a matter of a fact, I did, and this is what I got, from a sampling:
  • Patra - Queen of the Pack - Fat broad twerking a lot, saying much uninintelligible phrases mostly interspersed with "sexy like that". 4:00
  • Bounty Killa - War - A great deal of rhyming. 3:29
  • Lady Saw - Serious Allegations 3:20 Mostly a lot of complaining about something having, of course, "Serious Allegations".
  • Supercat - Dem No Worry We 4:02 - The song on this wasn't too bad, but it's not really a kind I listen to. I didn't really understand what he was singing about, maybe how some of his girlfriends are better than others, some are better cooks, while others are more sexy, I'm not sure.
I listened to all of these for the entire length.

Look, I don't even have to understand a song or even agree with its message to find a song good. Let me recommend three songs:
I don't understand a word of either of these, but they're both worth listening to: Mocedades - Eres Tu and Kyu Sakamoto - Sukiyaki
And this one, it's a religious song that I completely disagree with the words, intent, meaning, or sentiment (I'm an atheist, a non-believer), but the music is very good: Elevation Worship - Do It Again.

When an artist produces a work, that they release publicly, presumably they want others to experience their message. That was the point I was making: good art communicates, it is intercourse betweem the artist and the audience, because "intercourse" means "communication." If the artist doesn't communicate, it's "intellectual masturbation," and the audience feels cheated, and rightfully so.

Now, I'd like to explain this first. It is not my intent to quiz you about your love life, but I want you to consider this. You would not be involved with a boyfriend who thought the purpose of sex was for him to get everything he wants, and you don't have to get anything out of it, would you? Don't answer that, but it shows my point. If all the artist does is go off in their own private world, for the few people that get something out of it, they're going to like it, but when the artist makes no effort at all to communicate with others, don't be surprised if we're disappointed and frustrated, while the artist, who's just had a whale of a good time, doesn't understand why, or care that the vast majority of us are unsatisfied.
Alan Francis wrote a book containing everything men understand about women. It consisted of 100 blank pages.

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Tdarcos wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:15 am
raecoffey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pm Tdarcos, wth are you even talking about?
The points you made at the start of this thread:
raecoffey wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:08 pm I absolutely love reggae, especially dancehall. It's highly unlikely on a board of predominantly white men, to find another listener but since we have some hip-hop heads it's worth a try.
You then also said:
raecoffey wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:40 pm Well, some of my favorite dancehall artists ... (warning, they do not rap, they chant. Also it's in patois not English, it is broken English and I can translate but you'll get used to it if you try.)

Baby Cham - Back Way
Beenie Man - I'm Ok
Bounty Killa - War

Yes, most of it is about sex.
Now, returning to your current comment:
raecoffey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pm Ovcourse not all of their music is about sex,
I presumed it wasn't. I was using sexuality as means of communication as a metaphor, the way the man who originally wrote the analogy did, Robert A. Heinlein in Stranger in a Strange Land.
raecoffey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pmand ofcourse the music that is about sex is interactive with the female population...

Well then, I don't have to understand it then, since they apparently have no interest in communicating with outsiders.
raecoffey wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:57 pm I don't even understand your rant. Did you even try to listen? Probably not...
If all the artist does is go off in their own private world, for the few people that get something out of it, they're going to like it, but when the artist makes no effort at all to communicate with others, don't be surprised if we're disappointed and frustrated, while the artist, who's just had a whale of a good time, doesn't understand why, or care that the vast majority of us are unsatisfied.
Ok, I'm gonna explain this with kids gloves on. You'd expect an Italian Opera singer to sing opera in Italian, right? And youd find beauty in that, right? And a German one in German? You are not only expecting but almost DEMANDING that they speak the kings GOOD ENGLISH so that you and all the other good white folk can understand it. They speak Patios, their music is gonna be in patois for Jamaican people and everyone else who cares to listen, even white girls like me who can understand it with minimal effort. The world 🌎 doesn't revolve around you, or white people In general...

Also, you got all the songs wrong, especially Patra, how could you even call her "fat" she's skinny as a rail! Ugh there's no hope for beating the misogyny out of you lot!
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

I knew you used it as a metaphor but you kept going on about "intercourse," that's why I said "yes, it's interactive with tge female population " as all good intercourse should be!
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Jizaboz

Post by Jizaboz »

It's more about lubrication of the mind via Red Stripe and ganja and less about.. whatever Paul is talking about here.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

And about my apparent contradiction on whether the music 🎶 was all about sex or not.

In the first case, I was talking about the specific songs that I picked out.

Secondly, I was speaking 🔊 about reggae/dancehall in general. I didn't know I had to spell everything out.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

I started a reply here, then, at one point I wemt to type "Where" but instead of holding the shift key, my thumb held down the control key. Control-W is the non-excludable, non-disableable, non-avoidable, "close the current window and destroy its contents key." I lost everything I said - I'm sure people here probably think that's a good idea - but I am disappointed.

I'll think of a response later.

raecoffey

Post by raecoffey »

Tdarcos wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:36 pm I started a reply here, then, at one point I wemt to type "Where" but instead of holding the shift key, my thumb held down the control key. Control-W is the non-excludable, non-disableable, non-avoidable, "close the current window and destroy its contents key." I lost everything I said - I'm sure people here probably think that's a good idea - but I am disappointed.

I'll think of a response later.
We're waiting.
Lorelie Kraus the 1st