What is a sandwich?

Celebrity Monologues. This base allows guest posting, but please register for the full experience.

Moderators: AArdvark, Ice Cream Jonsey

Tdarcos

What is a sandwich?

Post by Tdarcos »

As a thought experiment, instead of fighting over religion, one atheist group decided to ask the question, "What is a sandwich?"

Now, some cases are easy. Take two pieces of bread, spread peanut butter between them and that's a sandwich, no question.

If you have two pieces of bread with no fillings, no butter, no mayonnaise, nothing, is it still a sandwich?

Now, if you have one piece of bread, put jelly on it, some might consider that an "open face" sandwich. Is it?

If you fold the piece of bread with jelly on it over, is it now a sandwich since it's closed?

What if you take the one piece of bread, smear jelly or peanut butter, or both on it, then cut it in half and put the two halves on top of each other, is that a sandwich?

Now, let's say I put two corn tortillas together and put lettuce, tomato, hamburger and cheese between them, is that a sandwich?

Now, take one corn tortilla and put lettuce, tomato, hambirger and cheese on it, is that an open face sandwich? If so, then why is it if that is folded it's a taco?

Or is it only a sandwich if leavened bread is used?

Does the McDonalds Griddles constitute a sandwich (it's like a breakfast sandwich but they use pancakes instead of bread)?
"I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end."
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

Now this is a fantastic question, and the answer is this:

If it's a handheld food consisting of two separate (!) pieces of leavened (!) bread, with stuff between the two pieces, then it is a sandwich.

The "separate" part is important, because hot dogs are not sandwiches.

The "leavened" part is important because quesadillas are not sandwiches.

Excellent question.
I don't have to say anything. I'm a doctor, too.

Rare Amiibos Scalper

Post by Rare Amiibos Scalper »

Tdarcos wrote:Now, some cases are easy. Take two pieces of bread, spread peanut butter between them and that's a sandwich, no question.

If you have two pieces of bread with no fillings, no butter, no mayonnaise, nothing, is it still a sandwich?

Now, if you have one piece of bread, put jelly on it, some might consider that an "open face" sandwich. Is it?

If you fold the piece of bread with jelly on it over, is it now a sandwich since it's closed?

What if you take the one piece of bread, smear jelly or peanut butter, or both on it, then cut it in half and put the two halves on top of each other, is that a sandwich?

Now, let's say I put two corn tortillas together and put lettuce, tomato, hamburger and cheese between them, is that a sandwich?

Now, take one corn tortilla and put lettuce, tomato, hambirger and cheese on it, is that an open face sandwich? If so, then why is it if that is folded it's a taco?

Or is it only a sandwich if leavened bread is used?

Does the McDonalds Griddles constitute a sandwich (it's like a breakfast sandwich but they use pancakes instead of bread)?
Is this part of the "thought experiment" as well, or are you just describing everything you just ate while typing out this post?

Didn't see this coming.

Post by Didn't see this coming. »

Or are you just trying to find as many loopholes as possible to your doctor's 1 sandwich per day recommendation?

Ice Cream Jonsey

Post by Ice Cream Jonsey »

Hot dogs aren't sandwiches? I don't remember agreeing to that, friendo.
the dark and gritty...Ice Cream Jonsey!

RetroRomper

Post by RetroRomper »

"Don't you DARE get me started on RetroArch!"

This has been a...
RETROROMPER CLASSIC TM

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Now this is a fantastic question, and the answer is this:

If it's a handheld food consisting of two separate (!) pieces of leavened (!) bread, with stuff between the two pieces, then it is a sandwich.

The "separate" part is important, because hot dogs are not sandwiches.
Hey, I like your definition and your qualifier and in that respect we're both in agreement. If you have a hot dog between two pieces of bread, that is a sandwich but not if it's on a hot dog bun.

What about hamburgers and cheeseburgers? Do they count as sandwiches if the top and bottom of the bun are not separated or does it have to be to count as one?

But you should change "two separate pieces" to "two or more separate pieces. Otherwise the Big Mac is not a sandwich because it has 3 pieces of bread.

On the other hand a Big Mac might not be qualified as a sandwich since generally the contents must be fit for human consumption.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:What about hamburgers and cheeseburgers? Do they count as sandwiches if the top and bottom of the bun are not separated
When is this ever the case?
But you should change "two separate pieces" to "two or more separate pieces. Otherwise the Big Mac is not a sandwich because it has 3 pieces of bread
To quote my friend Tdarcos, "WRONG." A Big Mac IS two pieces of bread with stuff between them. The "stuff" just happens to include more bread.

Flack

Post by Flack »

[youtube][/youtube]
"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."

Ice Cream Jonsey

Flack wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
The platypus of food.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Gyros/stuffed pitas are not sandwiches, they are "wraps".

Julius Caesar's Ghost

Post by Julius Caesar's Ghost »

pinback wrote:Gyros/stuffed pitas are not sandwiches, they are "wraps".
I have to agree with this one, but it is odd because if you take your knife and merely cut the crease of the pita: this one simple modification would clearly make it a sandwich.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Pita is leavened so slightly that it almost breaks my "bread must be leavened" rule. But, it IS leavened, and I can't go back and start changing my rules now.

pinback

Post by pinback »

HOWEVER, if you order a gyro at a gyro place, NORMALLY they will just wrap the shit in a whole pita, as the Good Lord Almighty intended, so there's definitely no confusion there. Wrap that rascal!

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:Wrap that rascal!
We usually only hear that expression in sex ed classes.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

pinback

Post by pinback »

This is good, Paul! One thing that's important to remember in social situations is that the guy who explains the joke that everyone else already got is in PRIME POSITION to start crushin' all da pussy in da room.

Tdarcos

Post by Tdarcos »

pinback wrote:This is good, Paul! One thing that's important to remember in social situations is that the guy who explains the joke that everyone else already got is in PRIME POSITION to start crushin' all da pussy in da room.
A guy I still miss today, more than ten years after he just disappeared from the alt.seduction.fast newsgroup, was a guy who went by the name of Psyberzombie. He had a hugely irreverent, very funny schtick in everything he wrote.

At one point he was making jokes about his new method for seducing women, and he said "Use this method, and you'll lay more pipe than the Exxon Valdez, and you'll get more pussy than the Los Angeles Animal Shelter."

I miss Psyberzombie.
- No Doubt, Don't Speak

Ice Cream Jonsey

Maybe people can be leavened.

pinback

Post by pinback »

Tdarcos wrote:I miss Psyberzombie.
That nigga wasn't crushin' all da pussy in da room, though. That's Paul Q. Robinson territory.

Flack

Post by Flack »

"I failed a savings throw and now I am back."